What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumours and Stuff

Gary Gutful

Post Whore
Does anyone think IDG's retirement was something the club could unilaterally enforce? He finished 2016 (scoring two tries in his final game) and trained through the next pre-season. I'm sure he saw 2017 as an opportunity to win another contract somewhere.
If his health was as shit as @emjaycee suggested then they could have moved fairly expeditiously. But clearly they cant make that decision themselves which is where @Glenneel brought himself unstuck.

emjaycee

Coach
The issue was that he would progress, attempt more rigourous exertion, reach a limit and regress. Wait, progress, exert, regress (rinse and repeat).

It was taking months of false hope and then failure, false hope and then failure...

The Club medical staff were managing this quite closely and as Pau has stated, IDG wanted to get well and play again. Mentally, they (Club and Drs) needed him to reach the conclusion it was over.

Does anyone think IDG's retirement was something the club could unilaterally enforce? He finished 2016 (scoring two tries in his final game) and trained through the next pre-season. I'm sure he saw 2017 as an opportunity to win another contract somewhere.

The club can't enforce a retirement. They can seek to have a player's contract terminated according to whatever provisions there are in the contract regarding fitness to play etc.

Bazal

Post Whore
I know it wasn't expert evidence but clearly you were suggesting that something was wrong. Unless you were bullshitting?

I'm sure you weren't, so with that in mind, I don't think it is unreasonable to expect the Parramatta club to resolve the issue ASAP in a way that benefits both the club and Isaac.

If it was anyone other @Glenneel that made the comment it wouldn't have gotten anywhere near the amount of criticism that it did.

For the record and in the interest of fairness I also think you're a f**king idiot for agreeing with him....

Gary Gutful

Post Whore
The issue was that he would progress, attempt more rigourous exertion, reach a limit and regress. Wait, progress, exert, regress (rinse and repeat).

It was taking months of false hope and then failure, false hope and then failure...

The Club medical staff were managing this quite closely and as Pau has stated, IDG wanted to get well and play again. Mentally, they (Club and Drs) needed him to reach the conclusion it was over.

There comes a point where you need to help IDG reach that conclusion.

Of course he wanted to get better and play again.

He has pride and doesn't want his career to end in a shit way but if the medical staff were 'rinsing and repeating' several times then they probably should have had a difficult conversation a little earlier than they did.

But surely long term injury isn't one of those provisions in the typical NRL contract.

I dunno. But an employer can't force an employee to retire, they can only seek to terminate their own contractual relationship with the employee.

The core facts here are far from certain, but if a player was keen to avoid immediate retirement, I can understand why a responsible employer would work with them (obviously not put them on the field) until the medical situation was resolved one way or the other.

Keyser Kint

Juniors
I saw IDG at the Easter Show this year before the Tigers game. Couldn't believe how small he was. I now have even more respect for him given he was such a tough defender and competitor and matched it with all the big boys for so many years.

All the best in retirement IDG.

Latest posts