What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Retro Games

___

Juniors
I don't get the appeal of retro games

gtfo.jpg

edabomb

First Grade
Et's probably beats any recent league game out there to be fair

I certainly don't remember any raging at bugs like with the new ones. Given I used to play it as a teenager on a 5-10yr old laptop I probably would have snapped it in half if it gave me some of the frustrations the new games have.

___

Juniors
I just don't understand the phenomena

It's like granny panties coming into fashion or the reemergence of the mullet, honestly wtf
The mullet did come back in from around 2004-2007 from memory.

Retro Games are fantastic mate, pixelated art. A lot of people like myself prefer them over modern games because of the nostalgia that modern games simply can't produce. It's memories mate, good ones. If you got into EB games today, you will see the Atari, Mega Drive and SNES on sale. They have been re-released with a lot of games built in (the Mega Drive for instance, 85 games built in with 2 blue controllers) - that's right, they modernise the console making it a lot more compact, taking advantage of the great technology of today, then re-release them. Why not?

atgames-sega-mega-drive-classic.jpg

Exsilium

First Grade
The mullet did come back in from around 2004-2007 from memory.

Retro Games are fantastic mate, pixelated art. A lot of people like myself prefer them over modern games because of the nostalgia that modern games simply can't produce. It's memories mate, good ones. If you got into EB games today, you will see the Atari, Mega Drive and SNES on sale. They have been re-released with a lot of games built in (the Mega Drive for instance, 85 games built in with 2 blue controllers) - that's right, they modernise the console making it a lot more compact, taking advantage of the great technology of today, then re-release them. Why not?

atgames-sega-mega-drive-classic.jpg

The mega drive was the first console I owned.

Mum and I lived in housing commission and money was real tight. She’d work all day and most nights to keep the bills paid so most birthdays and Christmas gifts were small items but the Christmas of 1993 was the first time we ever received anything of that value.

It was like nothing I’d ever seen or experienced at the time. I’d heard of those video games but never had a chance to play it and none of our friends had anything of the sort either.

I still own that console today and play it every now and then. Times have changed and gaming consoles are just the norm but for the modest family that was a big purchase in the 90’s.

Now I’m a PC gamer and accept no less than 60 FPS and 4K...

___

Juniors
The mega drive was the first console I owned.

Mum and I lived in housing commission and money was real tight. She’d work all day and most nights to keep the bills paid so most birthdays and Christmas gifts were small items but the Christmas of 1993 was the first time we ever received anything of that value.

It was like nothing I’d ever seen or experienced at the time. I’d heard of those video games but never had a chance to play it and none of our friends had anything of the sort either.

I still own that console today and play it every now and then. Times have changed and gaming consoles are just the norm but for the modest family that was a big purchase in the 90’s.

Now I’m a PC gamer and accept no less than 60 FPS and 4K...
Mate that sounds like a brilliant story, well done to your mum for doing so much for you back then. I know you guys would've cherished that console. It's amazing that it still works today.

I remember back in 1989, we got a Sega Master System for Christmas. They were actually trying to get rid of the stock they had back then and my parents managed to snare one for $88 - which was a bargain (although the Mega Drives which were still fairly new back then were $150+ which was just too expensive).

What made the Master System great was that all my cousins and friends also had that great console, meaning we could swap games all the time and we'd often go to each other houses and crowd around the console and a small 34 inch CRT tv and swap the controllers based on a stages & lives round robin turn-for-turn system.

The best were coop games where you can play 2 players together. I remember Double Hawk which was a fun shooting game was made even better when you played co-op. Someone would lose all 3 hits, die, and re-spawn taking a life off the co-op player :)

Untitled.jpg
Or what about Double Dragon on the Master System? Playing co-op with a mate, then getting to the end and fighting him for the girl.

images

You don't get that kind of stuff in games these days.

Good times.

Exsilium

First Grade
Mate that sounds like a brilliant story, well done to your mum for doing so much for you back then. I know you guys would've cherished that console. It's amazing that it still works today.

I remember back in 1989, we got a Sega Master System for Christmas. They were actually trying to get rid of the stock they had back then and my parents managed to snare one for $88 - which was a bargain (although the Mega Drives which were still fairly new back then were $150+ which was just too expensive).

What made the Master System great was that all my cousins and friends also had that great console, meaning we could swap games all the time and we'd often go to each other houses and crowd around the console and a small 34 inch CRT tv and swap the controllers based on a stages & lives round robin turn-for-turn system.

The best were coop games where you can play 2 players together. I remember Double Hawk which was a fun shooting game was made even better when you played co-op. Someone would lose all 3 hits, die, and re-spawn taking a life off the co-op player :)

View attachment 21030
Or what about Double Dragon on the Master System? Playing co-op with a mate, then getting to the end and fighting him for the girl.

images

You don't get that kind of stuff in games these days.

Good times.

Mum was super proud of herself and given it was such a huge expense I decided to always take good care of it.

Agreed. Games today are visually beautiful and they’re full of wonderful stories with very complex mechanics. Amazing to think that 30 years ago it was 16 bit systems. Now it’s VR and 4K.

I still have my Dreamcast and a whole bunch of games and peripherals. That console had so many cool games but it never really took off. I still enjoy it and remember how much of a pain it was to
Connect to the internet back in the early 00’s. AOL had an LOL at me anytime I tried

___

Juniors
Not bad. I was never good with Axel, I killed it with Blaze though. Wasn't a big fan of this game on the Mega Drive though, only Master System :)

___

Juniors
This is a good one. It's a fan remake of Sonic 1 on Master System. Starts off similar then you'll notice the changes as it progresses :)

perverse

Referee
It's really simple why retro games are having a renaissance - fun comes from gameplay, not graphics. If you can only derive fun from having the most blingy graphics engine of the time, well, I'm just sad for you I guess. You're missing out.

___

Juniors
It's really simple why retro games are having a renaissance - fun comes from gameplay, not graphics. If you can only derive fun from having the most blingy graphics engine of the time, well, I'm just sad for you I guess. You're missing out.
Correct. I love the 8-bit platform, by far my favorite. Sonic the Hedgehog really pushed the limits as to what the system can do and how!

Generalzod

Immortal
@InFlames
WOWSERS :D That looks beautiful. Man what an awesome console. That brings back memories of the late 90s early 00s.
I’m think of getting the pandora box 6 it has nba jam super side kicks 2 one of my favourite coin operated soccer games

Last edited:
Reactions: ___

Latest posts