What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2018 Origin II - NSW 18-14 QLD @ ANZ

Series: NSW v QLD

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

GongPanther

Referee
Me every time Chambers made a merkin of himself

tenor.gif

And like I mentioned in SOO 1 thread. Re all families reaction nationwide to Chambers.

Attachments

• Family LOL.png
    Family LOL.png
    126.4 KB · Views: 3

Exsilium

First Grade
Good to see Qlders sticking solid. As for his club form, he didn't get selected for Qld because he's sh*t. How that plays out for the rest of the year is anyone's guess.

It’s a tough one because on early year form I’d have had him as a certain starter for QLD and really pushing the blues but it just didn’t happen.

moffla

Bench
Anyone know the reason why there is never a trophy presentation after Game 2? Surely they can have a stage + the shield ready just in case. Seems a bit amateur that we will now lift the shield in front of a half empty Suncorp while Slater has his deserved moment too

Valheru

Coach
Not trash talking him but a couple of points:

1. Maloney should have got MOTM

2. Why is Cordner playing like a prop.

Cordner isn't playing like a prop.

As for MOTM discussion, Maloney and Latrell were the 2 that stood out as stronger candidates but I can see why they weren't chosen. Maloney was nothing short of awful in that first 20 minutes continuing his form from the week before. Full credit to him for taking the bull by the horns from there (especially the rest of the first half) but that first 20 may have excluded him.

Latrell was probably the best performer over the 80 minutes but that 20m restart error was so obviously the catalyst for the last QLD try and everything that happened after that, which unfortunately for him excluded him.

Of the others, Teddy and Cook were solid but nowhere near game 1, Roberts had his issues and Turbo/JAD were ok. Cleary was nowhere to be seen so that leaves only the forwards. Prior looked overawed, Klemmer was great in the first half but not seen thereafter. JDB, Vaughan, Angus an Frizell were all solid without being world beaters and Peachey obviously had limited opportunity.

So if you do exclude Maloney and Latrell (I wouldn't necessarily do so) you are only left with Cords and Jurbo from the winning side and due to the sheer workload and putting the team on his back when there were very few metres to be found, Cordner got the nod.

Life's Good

Coach
It’s a tough one because on early year form I’d have had him as a certain starter for QLD and really pushing the blues but it just didn’t happen.

He started well for us but his form did dip(he had a niggling cork injury). I think his combination with Widdop is critical to us and they seem to complement each other well. Provided that continues then we are in with a chance.

As for Qld, well, it's their problem now.

GongPanther

Referee
On a scale of 1-10 with 10 being extreme gaping, how is the Qld butthurt and is it worth reading back?
During a SOO,these threads are posted too many times to keep up with,and at the same time keep an eye on the game when typing with the one hand.

So I've spent the best part of a couple of hours reading it from the start of the game. Out of 1-10? I gave it 11. :)

Last edited:

typicalfan

Coach
Latrell also threw the no look flick when a conventional pass was on late in the game. Superstar but not motm this time.

Nerd

Bench
Widdop is carrying Hunt is the explanation. Hunt does take the pressure off Widdop as he isn't the sole kicker anymore. Saying that you would imagine Mary McGregors pregame instructions to Hunt is to pass to Widdop and if you are thinking of trying something just pass to Widdop.

King hit

Coach
Phil Gould slammed for ‘unprofessional’ commentary
James Matthey@jamesmatthey
8-10 minutes
A BRAVE Blues side resisted everything Queensland threw at it to win Game 2 and claim just its second Origin series victory in 13 years.

NSW overcame the Maroons 18-14 at ANZ Stadium in Sydney on Sunday night to go 2-0 up in the series and give rookie coach Brad Fittler the perfect start to his time in charge.

Here are all the talking points from the match.

Read: Blues finally turn the Origin tide

GUS BLASTED FOR ORIGIN BLUE

Channel 9’s Phil Gould was slammed for his commentary when the video referee was deliberating whether or not to award NSW a penalty try.

When Ben Hunt changed direction and knocked Boyd Cordner to the ground after half-an-hour the Blues skipper was denied the chance to chase a James Maloney grubber into the in-goal.

With no fullback in sight, the on-field referees went upstairs so see whether Cordner was a lock to get to the ball first and score NSW’s second try of the match. While the officials pondered what call to make, Gould — a former NSW coach — was in no doubt what the correct call was.

Almost immediately he said it was without doubt a penalty try — and he said it at least a handful of times after that.

“Should be a sin bin and should be a penalty try,” Gould added. “He was easily going to get there. Easily.”

Again, that was a sentiment he repeated several times before saying: “Come on, Mr Video referee. It’s a penalty try. No risk.”

A penalty try was eventually awarded — the first time that’s happened in Origin since 1981 — but Gould was blasted on social media for his one-sided coverage.

Aussie basketball star Patty Mills — who plays for the San Antonio Spurs in the NBA — also took aim at Gould later in the first half when he called a play by Queensland five-eighth Cameron Munster, who stopped dead in his tracks before exploding off the mark and passing to Greg Inglis 20m out from NSW’s line.

“Watch it, he will put them to sleep. Puts them to sleep — looks for the left foot step, now goes out, basketball pass over the top. That’s brilliant. That is really brilliant,” Gould said. “Usually he will stand there, put them to sleep and come up with the big left foot step. On this occasion, he put them to sleep and then went to the outside.”

Mills hit back at the 59-year-old’s call.

https://www.news.com.au/sport/nrl/o...y/news-story/f475cc50cc49f647db1459dcb8c7a138

The Waaaaa!!-Waaaaa!! tears from NEWS LTD,especially the courier mail is delicious.

Watching the likes of Paul "turncoat" Kent on NRL 360 will be satisfying if he admits (which he won't) that he got it wrong.

Sooks, it's not like Lewis, Vautin and gang are totally impartial. Remember Vautins 'OH YEAHHHH' when Coyne scored and Lewis and Lockyers QLD dribble is much much worse.

Nerd

Bench
Sooks, it's not like Lewis, Vautin and gang are totally impartial. Remember Vautins 'OH YEAHHHH' when Coyne scored and Lewis and Lockyers QLD dribble is much much worse.
But they aren't one of the lead callers like Gould is.

ed-grimley

Bench
Widdop is carrying Hunt is the explanation. Hunt does take the pressure off Widdop as he isn't the sole kicker anymore. Saying that you would imagine Mary McGregors pregame instructions to Hunt is to pass to Widdop and if you are thinking of trying something just pass to Widdop.
Maybe Queensland could slip Widdop on to the field. I think Yorkshire's is part of Queensland.