What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hunt is No7 for Queensland

Dragonslayer

First Grade
Hunt to me is like Terry Lamb
An incredibly high quality 1st grade NRL player but just not quite there at the highest rep level.
Hunt is adequate at rep level as was Lamb but there are just a few players in those key positions that bring that bit more especially in clutch situations.
We didn't buy Hunt for his rep prowess we got him to steer a 1st grade NRL side so let's be happy that so far on the majority of occasions he is doing that very well and obviously his combination with Widdop is far more suited to him than the 1 with "look at me" Munster.

Yep agree OT.
Especially the last part regarding Munster. Its all about combinations and gelling of the halves. With Widdop, Hunt can play his own game because he knows the combinations with him. At Origin level Hunt is playing 2nd fiddle to Munster who is a 'look at me' player. The expectation on Hunt is to dominate, but he cant with a pretty boy player as his halves partner. So when Hunt makes an error it is amplified because he is supposed to be the leader. You dont here much about errors that Munster makes, and wasnt it good when Mitchell buried him when he should have passed to create the overlap.
As already stated Ash Taylor is the future 7 for QLD and it wouldnt suprise to see him selected over Hunt for game 3 just, like Ponga, give him a taste in a dead rubber.

blacksafake

First Grade
Sure he wasn't great but as mentioned he was playing behind a pack that didn't give him a lot.McCullough doesn't offer much in attack as well.What a difference playing in a winning side makes.Cleary has imo done very little except catch & pass well before the line but most are singing his praises.If Hunt had Maloney outside him & Cook inside i think you would see a difference.

giboz71

First Grade
Hunt to me is like Terry Lamb
An incredibly high quality 1st grade NRL player but just not quite there at the highest rep level.
Hunt is adequate at rep level as was Lamb but there are just a few players in those key positions that bring that bit more especially in clutch situations.
We didn't buy Hunt for his rep prowess we got him to steer a 1st grade NRL side so let's be happy that so far on the majority of occasions he is doing that very well and obviously his combination with Widdop is far more suited to him than the 1 with "look at me" Munster.

I’ll be happy with a Terry Lamb quality player.

Whilst he wasn’t great in rep games, he led the Dogs to multiple comps.

I’ll take that any day of the week!

qld redvee

Juniors
agree hunt was quiet BUT just maybe it had something to do with the coach .. I would have thought that after his game against manly qld would have given him more freedom to to run the ball and potentially link with slater and inglis but he was virtually just a link man in the team. And we know his running game is great so did kevvie stifle him ?? according to the stats he made 3 runs for 25 metres wallace only had 4 for 41 metres and papali off the bench 3 for 32 so he wasnt the only one
Ill gladly take ben getting dropped fron qld so he can freshen up and lead us around the park

BennyV

Referee
Not saying he had a good game at all. But the media and fans crucifying him for losing the game is unwarranted.

The kick was at a crucial time - but as he has said in interviews, they were trying to keep the Blues down that end so he was trying to get a repeat set. He kicked too hard and it went out - not a brain explosion but more poor execution.

Missed tackles - I believe QLD had around 30 missed tackles in the game? I don’t think all tries were as a result of his misses. Shit there were 3 woeful attempts for the NSW first try.

My point was that he wasn’t the sole reason for the loss - there were a few factors and poor decisions that cost them the game.
I know he wasnt as bad as QLDerp fans make him out to be. But it seems like we've gone the complete opposite direction in this thread - there's more blame-shifting and excuse-mongering than a Paul McGregor press conference.

The forwards didnt stuff it up for him - it could be argued that the QLD won the battle, but at worst they matched ours better than they have in previous years when QLD came through with the win.
Munster didnt stuff it up for him - despite having the intellegence, personality and likeability of a rusty clothesline, he is one of QLDs genuine x-factor players and was very dangerous with ball in hand.
Slater didnt stuff it up for him - that guy was one of the main reasons that QLD were in the game to begin with.
Walters didnt stuff it up for him - all the press over the last month has been about Hunt taking control of the team and doing things his way.

Not sure if its the pressure, the expectation or the lights at ANZ but Hunt didnt deliver the way he probably should have. He didnt shit the bed like Pearce has done for years, but QLD needed more. Some players handle it a lot better than others. And as long as he follows Pearce's footsteps and comes back to club level kicks ass, Dragons fans should be happy.

For mine, there are far bigger talking points to come out of last night. I mean, we all got to witness the Origin debut of a future immortal!!! And not a bullshit fake one like Luke 'next Andrew Johns' Brooks, a bloke who has it in his to be among the best players of all time! That's exciting guys!!!

Old Kogarah Boy 1

First Grade
At the start of the game, the commentators were saying that Hunt had improved from game one and was steering the ship nicely.

As we know, the game progressed and he started making some mistakes and wrong calls BUT ........
for players who lead from the front, this can happen.

Not every play is going to work and some days will be better than others.

Hope his next game for us is great for both he and us.
Keep your chin up, Benny............... The Dragons are what matters, most.

blacksafake

First Grade
I know he wasnt as bad as QLDerp fans make him out to be. But it seems like we've gone the complete opposite direction in this thread - there's more blame-shifting and excuse-mongering than a Paul McGregor press conference.

The forwards didnt stuff it up for him - it could be argued that the QLD won the battle, but at worst they matched ours better than they have in previous years when QLD came through with the win.
Munster didnt stuff it up for him - despite having the intellegence, personality and likeability of a rusty clothesline, he is one of QLDs genuine x-factor players and was very dangerous with ball in hand.
Slater didnt stuff it up for him - that guy was one of the main reasons that QLD were in the game to begin with.
Walters didnt stuff it up for him - all the press over the last month has been about Hunt taking control of the team and doing things his way.

Not sure if its the pressure, the expectation or the lights at ANZ but Hunt didnt deliver the way he probably should have. He didnt shit the bed like Pearce has done for years, but QLD needed more. Some players handle it a lot better than others. And as long as he follows Pearce's footsteps and comes back to club level kicks ass, Dragons fans should be happy.

For mine, there are far bigger talking points to come out of last night. I mean, we all got to witness the Origin debut of a future immortal!!! And not a bullshit fake one like Luke 'next Andrew Johns' Brooks, a bloke who has it in his to be among the best players of all time! That's exciting guys!!!
Wow Benny, You really were impressed with Prior :):):)

Old Kogarah Boy 1

First Grade
Sure he wasn't great but as mentioned he was playing behind a pack that didn't give him a lot.McCullough doesn't offer much in attack as well.What a difference playing in a winning side makes.Cleary has imo done very little except catch & pass well before the line but most are singing his praises.If Hunt had Maloney outside him & Cook inside i think you would see a difference.

Agreed, thought Cleary did sweet FA except for that tackle.
Maloney, like him or loathe him, orchestrated everything.

ouryears

Bench
agree hunt was quiet BUT just maybe it had something to do with the coach .. I would have thought that after his game against manly qld would have given him more freedom to to run the ball and potentially link with slater and inglis but he was virtually just a link man in the team. And we know his running game is great so did kevvie stifle him ?? according to the stats he made 3 runs for 25 metres wallace only had 4 for 41 metres and papali off the bench 3 for 32 so he wasnt the only one
Ill gladly take ben getting dropped fron qld so he can freshen up and lead us around the park
It WASNT because he was quiet.

Major stuff up.
Kicked the ball on the 3rd tackle with 11 mins to go.
It went dead, 7 tackles restart NSW. WTF??!!

Poor kicking game overall.

Did not know how to take advantage when NSW had Roberts in the sin bin. Totally no idea how to take advantage of the situation.

As per what Thurston said after the game, zero strategy, nothing from their halves.

Gave away the penalty try.

Poorest game Ive ever seen a half play. A million dollar one at that.

Will not be playing game 3.

Gone.

ouryears

Bench
yeah ok then
Sorry Jak, even JT and other respected QLDers are saying this.

Hunt f**ked up badly, take ownership.

Does not mean he is finished, but he has to own his poor performance which stunk like crap.

With a decent game from a number 7, QLD would have won by 14+

St Georgio

Juniors
That penalty try was an absolute joke!
That fat red headed DH influenced the decision.
I hope Nathan Cleary ends up a Tiger he is worth 1.5 million a year along side Kaylin Ponga!

getsmarty

Immortal
Parramatta face post-Origin backlash from Dragons halfback Hunt
Local Sport
r0_0_3123_2316_w1200_h678_fmax.jpg

Marooned: Ben Hunt. Picture: AAP Image/Craig Golding

Will cellar-dwellers Parramatta cop the backlash from scorned Queensland and St George Illawarra halfback Ben Hunt?

After a crushing State of Origin defeat – at the hands of three of his club teammates who were wearing sky blue at ANZ Stadium in the series-sealing win for NSW – the former Queensland No.7 Cooper Cronk was quick to back Hunt.

Cronk declared Hunt should be Maroons playmaker for the dead-rubber at Suncorp Stadium, so too his Dragons coach Paul McGregor. But his fate may be decided by how he responds for the Dragons, starting with Thursday night’s showdown with Parramatta at WIN Stadium.

"He is definitely the Queensland halfback going forward," Cronk told Fox Sports. "Stick with him. Because you can't define a career ending on a couple of months. He will have the opportunity to redeem himself. What are the options? Ash Taylor still needs development. There is talk about (Daly) Cherry-Evans, but Ben Hunt is doing terrific football for the Dragons. Pick him and let him do his job."

The Dragons are two points clear at the top of the NRL ladder, with the perfect opportunity for Hunt to fire against Parramatta, at the foot of the ladder with just three wins this year.

The Eels clash is the second-last game in Wollongong this season, with the Dragons to meet the Warriors in August.

Tyson Frizell has been rested for the Dragons on Thursday night, while Jack de Belin may yet be ruled out. Samoa’s Leeson Ah Mau and Tim Lafai are named after the international weekend, while England’s James Graham and captain Gareth Widdop are all expected to play after the Test match in Denver.

Darren Nicholls, Reuben Garrick and Patrick Herbert have been named in an extended 24-man squad.

He is definitely the Queensland halfback going forward. Stick with him.

Cooper Cronk

https://www.illawarramercury.com.au...a-face-post-origin-backlash-from-hunt/?cs=302

Drag Queen

Bench
Agreed, thought Cleary did sweet FA except for that tackle.
Maloney, like him or loathe him, orchestrated everything.
I respect both Maloney and Cleary for their ability to keep calm and move on. Maloney's maturity surely came into play with regards to organising and orchestrating the team. Add to that his kicking ability. Second to none. Young Cleary's try saving tackle on Holmes was outstanding. To me the most dangerous player on field was actually Slater, followed by an out of position Ponga. Bring on the dead rubber game:)

ouryears

Bench
all of you guys putting poor Hunt in the same category as pathetic idiot and total criminal Pearce need a wake up call
Footballing wise, aren't they similar?
Personal life, hunt is perfect, Pearce is an idiot. I agree.
Though as a knight, Pearce may have found a home.