What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Mascord: Kangaroo tours return 2019/2020; Great Britain to play Ashes Series

DlEHARD

Juniors
Bump.. apparently Elstone has said that the sport has "too many international teams" to pad out our World Cup.
95% likely he's referring to the GB home nations as it's hard to figure out what else he'd be on about.

Don't be surprised to see SL pushing for a greater focus on GB tours in the near future and even less support for Wales, Scotland and Ireland.

That's terrible. What a joke.

yakstorm

First Grade
Well it's been a long time since Super League did much for Wales, Scotland and/or Ireland, and honestly, just like in the past, if they see a money making opportunity there (ie. like taking Magic), I doubt Elstone will say no to those regions.

As for funding and national teams, well, the decision for whether it is England or Great Britain who is wheeled out will remain with the RFL. As CEO of SL, honestly Elstone has zero remit in this regards unless he plans on banning players from SL taking part in Internationals.

Funding for SRL, WRL, RLI, comes from either the RLIF and/or RFL as well anyway, so again, Elstone has zero remit, unless for the lower tiers, he is going to limit any SL TV money to only those who reside within England borders (which I doubt, there will be other clubs he'd cut money for before West Wales & North Wales)

adamkungl

Immortal
Well it's been a long time since Super League did much for Wales, Scotland and/or Ireland, and honestly, just like in the past, if they see a money making opportunity there (ie. like taking Magic), I doubt Elstone will say no to those regions.

As for funding and national teams, well, the decision for whether it is England or Great Britain who is wheeled out will remain with the RFL. As CEO of SL, honestly Elstone has zero remit in this regards unless he plans on banning players from SL taking part in Internationals.

Funding for SRL, WRL, RLI, comes from either the RLIF and/or RFL as well anyway, so again, Elstone has zero remit, unless for the lower tiers, he is going to limit any SL TV money to only those who reside within England borders (which I doubt, there will be other clubs he'd cut money for before West Wales & North Wales)

It might not be directly within his power, but the head of SL will undoubtedly have some sway with the RFL unless it does come to civil war between the 2 bodies.

deluded pom?

Coach
The give around GBP 25K to Wales and Scotland per year. Not really much to do anything eith. Ireland get nothing these days.
I was also under the impression that the RFL doesn’t finance Wales, Scotland or Ireland. Still, 25 grand won’t go far in this day and age. I wonder if any profits generated by GB and I will be split four ways regardless of where the players come from? After all I’m sure the badge on the shirt will reflect the fact that four countries make up GB and I. You can’t claim to be GB and I and then only give any profits to England. Can you? Has the RFL thought this one through?

Pommy

Coach
I was also under the impression that the RFL doesn’t finance Wales, Scotland or Ireland. Still, 25 grand won’t go far in this day and age. I wonder if any profits generated by GB and I will be split four ways regardless of where the players come from? After all I’m sure the badge on the shirt will reflect the fact that four countries make up GB and I. You can’t claim to be GB and I and then only give any profits to England. Can you? Has the RFL thought this one through?

Why would the RFL play as GB rather than England to lose money?
Not saying they shouldn’t but it doesn’t seem to make buisness sense.

deluded pom?

Coach
Why would the RFL play as GB rather than England to lose money?
Not saying they shouldn’t but it doesn’t seem to make buisness sense.
You tell me but surely the other three that make up GB and I have some say in things otherwise what’s the point other than nostalgia. If money from any profits was not forthcoming then I wonder if the other countries could prevent the use of the GB and I badge? Doubtful I assume. Does anyone know how the finances are divvied up when the British Isles tour in union?

Pommy

Coach
You tell me but surely the other three that make up GB and I have some say in things otherwise what’s the point other than nostalgia. If money from any profits was not forthcoming then I wonder if the other countries could prevent the use of the GB and I badge? Doubtful I assume. Does anyone know how the finances are divvied up when the British Isles tour in union?

How would they stop them? Pretty sure the RFL own the brand etc.
I don’t really know the point is anyway, I would love to see the 4 nations go away and play as GB and never swap back but that’s unlikely to ever happen.

deluded pom?

Coach
How would they stop them? Pretty sure the RFL own the brand etc.
I don’t really know the point is anyway, I would love to see the 4 nations go away and play as GB and never swap back but that’s unlikely to ever happen.
I’d prefer it the other way with GB consigned to history and some serious thought put into developing the sport in the UK/Ireland.

jim_57

Staff member

So naturally if "GB&I" ever host a tour they will have a game in Cardiff/Swansea/Edinburgh/Glasgow/Dublin every series and a share of the profit.

At the very least I hope Ireland tell them where to go.

deluded pom?

Coach
So naturally if "GB&I" ever host a tour they will have a game in Cardiff/Swansea/Edinburgh/Glasgow/Dublin every series and a share of the profit.

At the very least I hope Ireland tell them where to go.
Exactly Jim. To my knowledge GB and then GB & I have never played a game in Scotland or Ireland/Northern Ireland. I don’t think they have played in Wales either come to that.

yakstorm

First Grade
Great Britain / Northern Union played Australia in 1911 in Edinburgh... That's it as far as I know... GB has actually played more games in South Africa than in Wales / Ireland / Scotland