What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Player Market

Saint_JimmyG

First Grade
I am one of those misguided souls you speak of. I guess I have been misguided by a few things but the main one is the forward pack he has mostly put together.
Vaughan
Graham
Frizz
Sims
JDB
It ain bad is it?

While I appreciate the tone of your response, it is...well....exaggerated a bit.

For example, blokes such as Frizell and JDB were already onboard well before Millward’s arrival,

Going through the others.....

Vaughan: a reserve grade player who, fortunately, was a gamble at the time, has paid dividends.

Graham: unquestionably has wonderful leadership qualities, but this needs to be counterbalanced with the fact he’s almost at the of a long career and diminishing impact.

(Is he better than his predecessor, Packer? It’s a 50/50 call)

Sims: came to Saints halfway through 2016 from Newcastle, and has been a good replacement for Thompson.

So, out of the five players you’ve referred to, only two of them can be described as Millward’s “good work”.

The Damo

Juniors
While I appreciate the tone of your response, it is...well....exaggerated a bit.

For example, blokes such as Frizell and JDB were already onboard well before Millward’s arrival,

Going through the others.....

Vaughan: a reserve grade player who, fortunately, was a gamble at the time, has paid dividends.

Graham: unquestionably has wonderful leadership qualities, but this needs to be counterbalanced with the fact he’s almost at the of a long career and diminishing impact.

(Is he better than his predecessor, Packer? It’s a 50/50 call)

Sims: came to Saints halfway through 2016 from Newcastle, and has been a good replacement for Thompson.

So, out of the five players you’ve referred to, only two of them can be described as Millward’s “good work”.
Gotta say i don’t reckon it’s a 50/50 call between Graham and packer this year. Without even taking into account the leadership and off field qualities.
Graham;
Played all 16 rounds
Average 100.4 metres a game
Total 1606 metres
440 tackles at 91% efficiency
12 offloads
Packer;
Played 12 rounds
Average 74 metres per game
Total 887 metres
361 tackles at 89% efficiency.
2 offloads.

TruSaint

Referee
Gotta say i don’t reckon it’s a 50/50 call between Graham and packer this year. Without even taking into account the leadership and off field qualities.
Graham;
Played all 16 rounds
Total 1606 metres
12 offloads
Packer;
Played 12 rounds
Total 887 metres
2 offloads.

add to that, the Dogs are paying a huge part of his salary.

Graham is what we needed. Leadership.

qld redvee

Juniors
watched a bit of the mounties game and thought their prop royce hunt could be ahandy pick up for isp at allgoods expense hes off contract and wouldnt cost a motza
could be a handy pick up
your thoughts guys

Gareth67

First Grade
Graham;
Played all 16 rounds
Total 1606 metres
12 offloads
Packer;
Played 12 rounds
Total 887 metres
2 offloads.

Going by those stats the old bull certainly has it over the young pretender !

Belta

Juniors
After this weekend my biggest concern is we lack depth.

I hear all the praises of our recruitment,

But;

I’d say Thompson was a bad call, perhaps Havilli (who was thrown a lifeline by Canberra after being released by us) would have been handy as would of Dunamus Lui, both low budget and played plenty of first grade this year, (albeit in a losing side) but Havilli in particular has looked very good.

Going forward we need better than this,
(Ie Klemmer, Tapau) but for now we look to have the weakest depth of the top clubs, or perhaps the worst managed

Drag Queen

Bench

But;

I’d say Thompson was a bad call, perhaps Havilli (who was thrown a lifeline by Canberra after being released by us) would have been handy as would of Dunamus Lui, both low budget and played plenty of first grade this year, (albeit in a losing side) but Havilli in particular has looked very good.

(Ie Klemmer, Tapau) but for now we look to have the weakest depth of the top clubs, or perhaps the worst managed
Got sacked by the Tigers earlier this year
Milne played his first game post ban for the Mounties yesterday.

Saint_JimmyG

First Grade

But;

Was Thompson “a bad call”? I’m not so sure. His replacement, Sims, has gone on to SOO representation and is now demonstrating the talent he first showed at North Queensland before injury befell him quite significantly, Has JT ever looked close to playing for the Blues? The answer here is “not really”.

Havilli? I’m afraid Saints’ fans will never know how good he could’ve been as McGregor never gave him adequate opportunities to show his wares. He has looked alright for Canberra (and Tonga), and from what I’ve seen; not to mention a build to play in the back row if required.

Dragonslayer

First Grade
Was Thompson “a bad call”? I’m not so sure. His replacement, Sims, has gone on to SOO representation and is now demonstrating the talent he first showed at North Queensland before injury befell him quite significantly, Has JT ever looked close to playing for the Blues? The answer here is “not really”.

Havilli? I’m afraid Saints’ fans will never know how good he could’ve been as McGregor never gave him adequate opportunities to show his wares. He has looked alright for Canberra (and Tonga), and from what I’ve seen; not to mention a build to play in the back row if required.

Havili played lock yesterday, so not only a reserve hooker but also can play in the middle and on the edge.
Would gave been an ideal bench player for us if McGregor opened his eyes.
In saying that we do have a development squad player who is starting to fill that role nicely. Can play hooker and edge forward. He has also played at International level for Fiji.
Joe Lovodua, I will be watching his progress closely.

Gareth67

First Grade
image.jpg

WOW ! Holy Dragon - Bulldog - Dragon (?) ! Todays Sunday Telegraph - NRL Sports middle page .

Last edited:

Saint_JimmyG

First Grade
I am one of those misguided souls you speak of. I guess I have been misguided by a few things but the main one is the forward pack he has mostly put together.
Vaughan
Graham
Frizz
Sims
JDB
It ain bad is it?

Out of curiosity, how do you rate the acquisitions of Latimore, Nicolls, Milne, Quinlan, Fai Fai Loa and McCrone?

Remember, the aforementioned players were all acquired under Millward since the 2016 season.

Yes, he’s done a “good job”.

Bless.

Crush

Coach
Out of curiosity, how do you rate the acquisitions of Latimore, Nicolls, Milne, Quinlan, Fai Fai Loa and McCrone?

Remember, the aforementioned players were all acquired under Millward since the 2016 season.

Yes, he’s done a “good job”.

Bless.
Jimmy, not every signing is made to play in a number 1-17 jersey. Its a complex job and depth signings are necessary.
On the whole Millward is doing a fantastic job. Its taken time to build but now we have a cracking side.
I know you would have preferred to keep Rein and not sign McInnes though.
Bless.

Latest posts