What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2018 Crowd Watch

Teddyboy

First Grade
I think the GC need to actively become the anti-Broncos team. I think they have been trying to avoid that fight and tried to be non-confrontational about it, but thats just made them a bit bland and boring.

Trying to brand themselves as the SQLD team and the Broncos as "just" the Brisbane City team is their way forward. Challenge the big guy, step on toes, stop being pussies!!!

Edit:
I also still think a conference-based finals system would really help with these local rivalries. Instead of just leaving it to chance and HOPING this games occur, we could shape a finals format that guarantees rivalries like this build every year.

IIRC, last year, people were complaining that the match-ups for the finals series were dull. I dont see why we should leave this to chance when we could have i finals system that not only guarantees derbies but builds these rivalries year to year.
A conference system would have been great if the old ARL had just got a few BRL teams to join ?

AlwaysGreen

Immortal
The nitwit Searle who started the titans set the tone for their poor performances off the field.

It started with the name - it's as if the idiot was at home watching 'Remember the Titans' and thought, 'wow, what a great name'. Then the club ended up with a shit name and a shit logo.

Then the Gold Coast produced a Jersey with no Gold in it, just a blue monstrosity. A golden opportunity lost to tie in the name of the area with their identity lost.

Then the fool made a deal for a new stadium that delivered a shiny new ground but was going to cost them and the fans an arm and a leg for the next 30 years.

In rugby league you have to build a club, build an identity, build a culture. The franchise, instant glamour team that Searle tried to force onto people was never going to be successful, it was just an ego trip for a snake oil salesman.

The Gold Coast can be successful but only if they build a club, not a franchise.

Perth Red

Post Whore
The nitwit Searle who started the titans set the tone for their poor performances off the field.

It started with the name - it's as if the idiot was at home watching 'Remember the Titans' and thought, 'wow, what a great name'. Then the club ended up with a shit name and a shit logo.

Then the Gold Coast produced a Jersey with no Gold in it, just a blue monstrosity. A golden opportunity lost to tie in the name of the area with their identity lost.

Then the fool made a deal for a new stadium that delivered a shiny new ground but was going to cost them and the fans an arm and a leg for the next 30 years.

In rugby league you have to build a club, build an identity, build a culture. The franchise, instant glamour team that Searle tried to force onto people was never going to be successful, it was just an ego trip for a snake oil salesman.

The Gold Coast can be successful but only if they build a club, not a franchise.

Yes and no. Broncos and Storm are arguably “franchise” clubs and are the two biggest in the sport. It can work if done well.

Diesel

Coach
the name cam from a public vote as did the jersey

there were other choices

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gold_Coast_Titans#Emblem_and_colours
I can’t remember the jersey voting, but why would you have a QLD team in a prodomentally blue jersey, what were the other options?

The team were the Dolphins (voted by the public) until Redcliffe lost their shit and then the next think you know your GC Titans are born. There was no community consolation.
IIRC, the top names chosen to vote were Dolphins, Stingrays, Pirates, Breakers, Marlins, Ironmen.

ReddFelon

Juniors
I'll still never undeeunder how Redcliffe had any grounds to claim ownership of the name "dolphins", there's got to be over a thousand different sports clubs in Australia that uses the name dolphins.

AJB1102

First Grade
but why would you have a QLD team in a prodomentally blue jersey, what were the other options?

They're very NSW for a QLD team.

Be good to see the jersey options from back then.

I'll still never undeeunder how Redcliffe had any grounds to claim ownership of the name "dolphins", there's got to be over a thousand different sports clubs in Australia that uses the name dolphins.

Yeah that does seem strange. Maybe the GC backed off to get a name nailed down, it'd be a shocker if a couple weeks into their inaugural season they got ruled against and had to completely rebrand.

Saint Doc

Coach
Gee I wonder where the inspiration for GCT colors possibly could come from? Hmmmmm.....
images

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
I can’t remember the jersey voting, but why would you have a QLD team in a prodomentally blue jersey, what were the other options?

The team were the Dolphins (voted by the public) until Redcliffe lost their shit and then the next think you know your GC Titans are born. There was no community consolation.

All the same colours and all mostly blue.

The one we got was the least this. The rest look like the post-2008 jumpers...

IIRC, the top names chosen to vote were Dolphins, Stingrays, Pirates, Breakers, Marlins, Ironmen

Jesus. ANY of those are better than the f*cking Titans.

Im actually surprised "Pirates" didnt win, considering the Pirates of the Caribbean were at their height in 05-06.

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
Gee I wonder where the inspiration for GCT colors possibly could come from? Hmmmmm.....
images

Australia is an ISLAND!!! If not for the towers, that picture be from f*ckin anywhere.

Sand and water is not "Uniquely Gold Coast". There is almost 40,000kms of coastling that fit that same discription.

Its like if the next team in the NRL wears Green "because our city has grass".

Canard

Immortal

Pretty sure GC just backed off the name voluntarily in the end.

This comes up every time GC is mentioned and for some reason LU boils every problem down to graphic design.

For me that's not the issue, Broncos for example is a shitful name, Cowboys even worse, yet they aren't "struggling".

Raiderdave

First Grade
so
Fri 6pm Penrith V Sharks 11,500
Fri 8pm Newc V Parramatta 14,500
Sat 3pm Bulldogs V Souths 14,500
Sat 5.30pm Manly V Melbourne 11,500
Sat 7.30 Raiders V Cowboys 11,500
Sun 2pm Broncos V Warriors 32,500
Sun 4pm Dragons V Tigers 16,500
Sun 6.30pm Titans V Roosters 10,500

Willow

Assistant Moderator
Add to that the failed 'Centre of Excellence' next to the stadium. It lost so much money and left a lot of bad blood. The smart move would have been to build a Clubhouse. It would have been an excellent vehicle to build up home support as well as being a moneymaker.

The stadium itself is fantastic, if you can get to it. For some reason they have excluded cars from parking the area, even though the stadium is surrounded by cow paddocks. There's good public transport but the organisers fail to realise that a large portion of people prefer to drive, so the Titans are losing that demographic of supporters.

There are ways around this, like parking a distance away at the pub and taking a courtesy bus. But many casual supporters don't know the tricks, they'll go once and find they have to walk for miles, and never go again.

Dogs Of War

Coach
There are ways around this, like parking a distance away at the pub and taking a courtesy bus. But many casual supporters don't know the tricks, they'll go once and find they have to walk for miles, and never go again.

I used to park at Helensvale station and catch the train in. Doesn't help that there is nothing to do where the stadium is located. They really need to add a pub/club there. I can't see how a pub wouldn't be successful in that area.

Dogs Of War

Coach
A conference system would have been great if the old ARL had just got a few BRL teams to join ?

I still think a conference system would be great. Play all teams once, plus those in your conference a second time. Even if you moved to 18 teams it could still work fine. It's really just locking in the ability to have more of the games that encourage regional rivalries.

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
Fri 6pm Penrith V Sharks 11,500
Fri 8pm Newc V Parramatta 17,000
Sat 3pm Bulldogs V Souths 12,000
Sat 5.30pm Manly V Melbourne 14,000
Sat 7.30 Raiders V Cowboys 9,500
Sun 2pm Broncos V Warriors 28,000
Sun 4pm Dragons V Tigers 16,000
Sun 6.30pm Titans V Roosters 12,000