What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Nightingale is done

ouryears

Bench
Hi All I agree that Nightie tackled his heart out upwards of 40 tackles I understand. I disagree with the view that he is too small etc. he weighs 90+ kilos more than Cam Smith and our own hooker McInnes Both do 40 plus tackles against all NRL monsters all season. Big strong Host lasted 5 minutes then busted his shoulder.

My point is that when the injury stick hits then it hits, luck of the draw. Plenty of huge NRL forwards are sitting on the sidelines now, busted and that's the way it can go.Nightie has been sound in the forwards, not great but 1grade sound.

I am neutral about our coach McGregor. I think he is doing well and has a top class half this year and a fast fullback. It seems that many want to blame him for anything that goes wrong but never credit him with the success this year. I have often put up stats and made comments that coaches are not nearly important as having the roster and being at the big money clubs. The great Wayne Bennett's stats dropped like a stone at Newcastle because he didn't have the players. Lots wanted Ivan Cleary here on the forum. He has been average over a long career. I could go on and on.

We have a good team this year who are in the mix but our club does not have the TPA to gain depth like Melbourne, Brisbane , Roosters etc. Let's hope our good run of no serious injuries continues ( especially our elite guys).

A player like Cam Smith and McInnes have played their whole careers in the forwards, built up their bodies to cope with the forwards battle over many many years, probably from age 12 upwards.

Nighty has never trained for the cauldron of the forward pack battle.

It's a joke. It's ridiculous

Mary is a goose.

Last edited:

Saint_JimmyG

First Grade
Rumours are flo stayed in Mlb due to swelling in his shoulder !!!
That being the case has mcidiot killed his career

That rumour is correct.

Nightingale flew home separately to the team due to the severity of his injury.

Sadly, we all know McGregor will get an (undeserved) extension.

Saint_JimmyG

First Grade
Nightingale tackled his butt off on Thursday but with big forwards targeting him he simply couldn't cut it in the middle of the park. Why with Host gone was Nighty left on for so long while Sele and Lawrie were getting splinters in their bums? Crazy. He is too slow for wing or centre, too small for the back row and therefore is a liability for the bench. The call from Bellamy to run at Nightingale will be replicated by every coach for the remainder of the year. I think his time has well and truly come but he will be kept in our 17 because sentiment and loyalty seem to be ruling the roost at STGI where Jason is concerned. I hope that when our SOO boys come back their defensive strength will allow Jason to be used in short stints in the middle. Hopefully I won't remember 2018 only for it being the year the Dragons showed their respect and loyalty to a champion clubman, and not the year we made the GF. Nighty deserves everything we can give him in 2018, both on and off the field, but not at the possible expense of our season.

Singling out one player as a possible reason for reason for failure is quite frankly, ridiculous.

Should Saints flunk during the finals, it will solely be due to fundamentally flawed coaching tactics as what was illustrated last Thursday night.

Nothing else.

Saint_JimmyG

First Grade
If the coach was an intelligent rational person Nighty would not be asked to do a job in the middle of the park.
If a Mary thinks Nighty can do the job of a second row forward....then it’s time for a straight jacket and a tranquilliser gun for McIdiot.

Fair dinkum, the most useless coach in the history of the club, including Steve Price and Craig Young.

YES!!!

(Although one could argue that the bloke who coached the Dragons in 1938 - when it last ‘won’ the wooden spoon - can also join Price and Young)

If John Ferguson was able to play in a grand final winning team at a (reported) 36 years-of-age, Nightingale is comparatively a baby at just 31.

The amount of nonsense in this thread is laughable.

O'Sullivan

Juniors
I understand the affection and loyalty that Nightingale engenders in our fans. He has been and is the ultimate clubman and has been an exceptional player. But he is struggling and that cannot be ignored. Hopefully he will make his critics eat some of their words but If we looked at say the Roosters, Melbourne, Cronulla or the Broncos, which winger/wingers would Jason be picked ahead of in those clubs?

Drag Queen

Bench
Jimmy has Nighty playing for us until 2023.
I can't speak for Jimmy but this is not what he was inferring. Nighty has never been a speedster and yet he has done some miraculous plays during his years. Our coach put him in a high risk position against the Storm. Considering his high tackle count he did bloody well given the circumstances. He will retire next season, no doubt, but in my eyes he's a bloody legend. Cheers

slippery5

Juniors
YES!!!

(Although one could argue that the bloke who coached the Dragons in 1938 - when it last ‘won’ the wooden spoon - can also join Price and Young)

If John Ferguson was able to play in a grand final winning team at a (reported) 36 years-of-age, Nightingale is comparatively a baby at just 31.

The amount of nonsense in this thread is laughable.
At 36yrs of age Chicka also scored 13 tries in 24 matches in 1990, a feat Jason can only dream of.

TruSaint

Referee
Anyone thinking that Flo's possible retirement / relegation would influence his legacy are mistaken.

Bloke is and out and out champ, playing well above his weight. Fact is, as the game has evolved, his deficiencies outway his benefits in the current game. Yeah, the game has evolved...

One of my favourite players, a local junior, should call it quits, or the club could "bandage" this by calling a season ending injury.

He will have a great future after his NRL success, having served his country, won a title, and been a class act all the way.

Flo is only 31.
Sure he’s had a bad year, 1 try, but Aitken is not renowned at setting up his wingers or passing to them?
Sure he’s not fast, but when has he ever been?
Sure his defence has been suspect, but as I said all last year when both wingers kept running infield and letting player past them, that’s a plan, if it wasn’t it would have been fixed. It’s another in a long list of Mary’s plans that don’t work but he persists with.

If he was outside Lafai I’m sure he would be in positions to take Lafais passes that never go to Nene cause he is never in a position to catch them.

Lay off Flo, he put his body on the line against Melbourne and did a damn fine job until some idiot left him on the field too long.

TruSaint

Referee
Im not bagging Flo, and your points about ball delivery are valid. They do not though override the fact that Flo, with all his guts, and finishing skills is playing battered and bruised, and the game now has athletic wingers ... Tall fast, and strong. I repeat I rate Flo as a club legend, but even my biase suggests its time to move on.

I dont want him being the scapegoat for another failed season. ( eg. playoffs).

He deserves better than that.

Crush

Coach
Is it possible that Nighty comes back onto the wing this weekend, has a blinder and we all hail Mary?

Frank Facer

First Grade
I understand the affection and loyalty that Nightingale engenders in our fans. He has been and is the ultimate clubman and has been an exceptional player. But he is struggling and that cannot be ignored. Hopefully he will make his critics eat some of their words but If we looked at say the Roosters, Melbourne, Cronulla or the Broncos, which winger/wingers would Jason be picked ahead of in those clubs?
Would Nightingale be picked for any other club?