What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Nightingale is done

Old Timer

Coach
Im not bagging Flo, and your points about ball delivery are valid. They do not though override the fact that Flo, with all his guts, and finishing skills is playing battered and bruised, and the game now has athletic wingers ... Tall fast, and strong. I repeat I rate Flo as a club legend, but even my biase suggests its time to move on.

I dont want him being the scapegoat for another failed season. ( eg. playoffs).

He deserves better than that.
He only deserves better if he chooses that option.
For many the game is like a drug or and adrenalin rush and they want to keep having that feeling and whilst you seek that, then you put yourself in the firing line for critical analysis.
If he continues to play the game, then he deserves the criticism that comes with the territory not withstanding the fact that he has been acknowledged for that period when he was a great player which is some time ago if people are really honest about it.
His poor form should not be excused or condoned no matter the significant role he has played at the club over many years.

slippery5

Juniors
In the business world, a long serving stalwart who is not performing & causing the shares to drop, would be replaced with a younger fresher new ideas employee in a instant, If not the CEO's head would be on the chopping block.
Gold watch, appreciate your service, thanks for the memories. XOXO

TruSaint

Referee
He only deserves better if he chooses that option.
For many the game is like a drug or and adrenalin rush and they want to keep having that feeling and whilst you seek that, then you put yourself in the firing line for critical analysis.
If he continues to play the game, then he deserves the criticism that comes with the territory not withstanding the fact that he has been acknowledged for that period when he was a great player which is some time ago if people are really honest about it.
His poor form should not be excused or condoned no matter the significant role he has played at the club over many years.

OT, he didnt " pick " himself ( if he continues to play the game and so forth... " )

Your last paragraph I agree with 100%.

Old Timer

Coach
OT, he didnt " pick " himself ( if he continues to play the game and so forth... " )

Your last paragraph I agree with 100%.
True
He puts himself in the position to be selected so therefore their is no defence by saying “he didn’t pick himself”
All the sayings used “what a great & loyal clubman he is” or “he is a legend” or “he is a grand final legend” or “he should be allowed to retire on his own terms” have been used to justify his selection for not only this year but also last and no doubt such sayings have been in selectors (weak as water) minds and the simple fact is he doesn’t deserve to be in the side anymore.
If he continues to play and expects to be cinsidered for 1st grade then f**k him he deserves everything he cops.

Last edited:

RufusRex

Post Whore
Well .. if you take the number of tries created (Tries/Assists) and subtract the number of try causes you get an interesting set of numbers.

Surprisingly Nightingale is not the worst .. that is reserved for Montoya with -17 .. Then SKD -12, Uate -10 and then Nightingale -9 …

So based on that Nightingale might get a run at the Bulldogs/Knights or Eagles

But then if you look at running (which everyone jumps on because you cant actually brag about his scoring) .. Well of all wingers in the game, Nighty comes in at number 32 for average metres a game and number 50 for average metres per run. Number 57 for average number of tackle breaks,.

Yet people still rate him?

Bench
Well .. if you take the number of tries created (Tries/Assists) and subtract the number of try causes you get an interesting set of numbers.

Surprisingly Nightingale is not the worst .. that is reserved for Montoya with -17 .. Then SKD -12, Uate -10 and then Nightingale -9 …

But then if you look at running (which everyone jumps on because you cant actually brag about his scoring) .. Well of all wingers in the game, Nighty comes in at number 32 for average metres a game and number 50 for average metres per run. Number 57 for average number of tackle breaks,.

I would give him points for being in a premiership grand final and points for playing so long in one team.

possm

Coach
When SGI priorities winning each and every game over all else, we will win a comp. Even when we were at the top of the ladder, I was always wondering 'when will the wheels fall off'. Most on here will agree that our right wing and right centre are the problem in our backline. Dufty is still not consistant and is very poor in defence. Our bench management is a big problem and the rotation of our forwards is another real problem.

All of the above can be blamed on the coach and until these things are addressed, we will not be putting our best foot forward. Yes we might win our fair share of games, but we will not be putting our best team on the field.

Unfortunately, the likes of Lomax and Herbert have not been given the opportunity to develop their skills in first grade this season mainly because of a stubborn and thoughtless coach. My ideal team would be:

Dufty or Lomax
Macdonald
Lafai or Herbert
Lomax or Mann
Herbert or Mann
Widdop
Hunt
Vaughan
McInnes
Frizell
Sims
Host or Leilua
De Bellin

Graham
Ah Mau
Leilua or Host
Aitken

avocado

Juniors

Damn. Them stats are poo.

ouryears

Bench

Who rates him?
Beside useless McNugget?

LINESPEED

Juniors
When SGI priorities winning each and every game over all else, we will win a comp. Even when we were at the top of the ladder, I was always wondering 'when will the wheels fall off'. Most on here will agree that our right wing and right centre are the problem in our backline. Dufty is still not consistant and is very poor in defence. Our bench management is a big problem and the rotation of our forwards is another real problem.

All of the above can be blamed on the coach and until these things are addressed, we will not be putting our best foot forward. Yes we might win our fair share of games, but we will not be putting our best team on the field.

Unfortunately, the likes of Lomax and Herbert have not been given the opportunity to develop their skills in first grade this season mainly because of a stubborn and thoughtless coach. My ideal team would be:

Dufty or Lomax
Macdonald
Lafai or Herbert
Lomax or Mann
Herbert or Mann
Widdop
Hunt
Vaughan
McInnes
Frizell
Sims
Host or Leilua
De Bellin

Graham
Ah Mau
Leilua or Host
Aitken

You're spot on with that team Possm. And I hope you're well by the way.
Until Mary's love-in with Aitken & Lafai in the centres ends, the backline will be less than ideal. They have a gold pass because Mary considers his 'rescue' of Lafai post Bulldogs his great humanitarian achievement & in Aitken he sees the embodiment of his own struggle against adversity with leg injuries. Form meant nothing last year. He has his favourites, which usually causes friction and disunity in most enterprises.
For an anal retentive coach only injury or loss of personnel will induce change.
We've only got Dufty because of Dugan's exit, and Herbert & Lomax will only get a crack in the centres if Airken pulls a hammy off the bone or Lafai develops leprosy.
I'll keep plugging away for Field as well, as the 'ragdolled' slur against him doesn't wash with me. The same was said about Dufty's size, but most seem to have gotten over that issue. And the guy who should've got SOO man of series, Damien Cook who is of smaller stature than the above two ain't gettin' ragdolled too much by all accounts?? I like your evenhanded & sensible posts Possm.

Last edited:

ouryears

Bench
You're spot on with that team Possm. And I hope you're well by the way.
Until Mary's love-in with Aitken & Lafai in the centres ends, the backline will be less than ideal. They have a gold pass because Mary considers his 'rescue' of Lafai post Bulldogs his great humanitarian achievement & in Aitken he sees the embodiment of his own struggle against adversity with leg injuries. Form meant nothing last year. He has his favourites, which usually causes friction and disunity in most enterprises.
For an anal retentive coach only injury or loss of personnel will induce change.
We've only got Dufty because of Dugan's exit, and Herbert & Lomax will only get a crack in the centres if Airken pulls a hammy off the bone or Lafai develops leprosy.
I'll keep plugging away for Field as well, as the 'ragdolled' slur against him doesn't wash with me. The same was said about Dufty's size, but most seem to have gotten over that issue. And the guy who should've got SOO man of series, Damien Cook who is of smaller stature than the above two ain't gettin' ragdolled too much by all accounts?? I like your evenhanded & sensible posts Possm.
The main difference is Dufty was killing them in under 20s and then in Reggie's.

None of the players mentioned are doing nearly enough to demand selection.

Definitely I would agree with Lomax for nighty, but the others do not scream select me.

In fact they get outplayed in Reggie's.

BennyV

Referee
I would give him points for being in a premiership grand final and points for playing so long in one team.
And that's the point. People want to hold onto him for what he did in the past, not what he provides (or doesnt provide) to the team now. That's not the way to build a premiership winning team.

Mr Red

First Grade
One of our greatest clubmen ever and can still offer something in the run to the finals, however only as a backup player. Mary is picking him in the 17 out of respect rather then what he can offer as a winger.
The elite modern day winger needs to either have at least one, maybe two of the three following attributes...size, height and blistering speed and unfortunately Nighty doesn’t have any.

Old Timer

Coach
How is it this week Nighty to wing and Mann to bench is the right call yet last week against a strong pack and a team in the top 4 it wasn’t the right call even after losing Host early and Nighty unable to block the holes?
If ever Nighty had to be shifted to the wing last week was it, now this week he should have been shifted to “reggies”
A complete mystery as to how the hell Mc Fookknuckke works these things out in his head.

hazzbeen

Bench
How is it this week Nighty to wing and Mann to bench is the right call yet last week against a strong pack and a team in the top 4 it wasn’t the right call even after losing Host early and Nighty unable to block the holes?
If ever Nighty had to be shifted to the wing last week was it, now this week he should have been shifted to “reggies”
A complete mystery as to how the hell Mc Fookknuckke works these things out in his head.
Really nothing has changed with his coaching , said before he has been very lucky so far with injuries . Graham ,Hunt ,Dufty at times making a difference as for coaching same ,same ....

The Damo

Juniors
Unless a sudden bout of sanity strikes, and Nighty is played on the wing I think the thought process is something like;
“Due to injury last week I had to use my utility Nighty in the 2nd row. That didn’t work.
Solution - go back to having Mann as utility on bench as he can cover more positions and sub for JDB in the middle, and have Leilua as back up for 2nd row.”
This seems to fit Marys usual thinking. It’s unimaginative, conservative and simplistic.
Because I’m an incurable optimist I still hold a slight hope that Herbert will come in on that wing - but the realist in me thinks the optimist is gonna be swearing come game day.

Latest posts