What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 18 v Sharks

Western Stand

Juniors
If the forwards play like they did last week, we can win this game. It will come down to belief and desire.

There is an arrogance about the Sharks and they will be coming to Penrith, expecting to win. If we hold them in the middle, like we did against the Warriors for the first 25 minutes, we will win.

OldPanther

Coach
If the forwards play like they did last week, we can win this game. It will come down to belief and desire.

There is an arrogance about the Sharks and they will be coming to Penrith, expecting to win. If we hold them in the middle, like we did against the Warriors for the first 25 minutes, we will win.

They'll definitely be confident. Hopefully you're right and our pack digs in.

Not really. Only if he chooses to play for NZ top grade but he's chosen samoa who are a tier 2 nation so he can still play origin if he played footy growing up in NSW.
I distinctly remember a player, whose name I can not remember, who was chosen to be in the emerging blues squad, and it was revealed that he was ineligible due to him representing the Junior Kiwis.

OldPanther

Coach
I distinctly remember a player, whose name I can not remember, who was chosen to be in the emerging blues squad, and it was revealed that he was ineligible due to him representing the Junior Kiwis.

I cant think of any off the top of my head other than Tamou who represented the junior Kiwis in 2007. In 2008 he played for NZ Moari against an indigenous team. Tamou then debuted for NSW/Aus in 2012.

Western Stand

Juniors
I remember in 2003, we beat South Sydney in a very ordinary game. I walked out of the SFS and said to my mate that neither of these teams will be winning the premiership (goes to show how much I know). The week after, the team went to NZ and knocked off the 2002 runners up. That set the tone for the rest of the year.

I feel that if we pick up the two points tomorrow, we will be projected along the same path. The belief in the playing group will be bulletproof and they will know that they can win the premiership, no matter what hurdle is put in front of them.

Belief is as important as ability. We can win this game.

OldPanther

Coach

Thanks for finding that. It confirms what was said earlier. If you play for a Tier 1 nation which is England or New Zealand you can't play origin. Junior Kiwis is different to the men's team in that regard. This is why Luai who has chosen a Tier 2 nation could still play if he has grown up playing in NSW and why Tamou could play for NSW and Australia.

If we do lose tomorrow it will be a very good learning experience for our young guys. I expect the Sharks to try frustrate us into defeat given that they are usually very strong in defence. Hopefully Kikau has another massive game on the edge and we play instinctive footy in attack once more.

Thanks for finding that. It confirms what was said earlier. If you play for a Tier 1 nation which is England or New Zealand you can't play origin. Junior Kiwis is different to the men's team in that regard. This is why Luai who has chosen a Tier 2 nation could still play if he has grown up playing in NSW and why Tamou could play for NSW and Australia.
He played for the junior Kiwis that is a tier one nation.

OldPanther

Coach
He played for the junior Kiwis that is a tier one nation.

You can play for the junior Kiwis but not the men's. I explained how Tamou played for both the junior Kiwis and New Zealand Moari before making his NRL debut and he then played for NSW and Australia after playing NRL.

You can play for the junior Kiwis but not the men's. I explained how Tamou played for both the junior Kiwis and New Zealand Moari before making his NRL debut and he then played for NSW and Australia after playing NRL.
What I am saying is the rules have changed since then. I am trying to find more recent examples.

If you do I'd be happy to see it. I just can't think of any.
I have looked, and I can't find it. I do distinctively remember a player, who was selected for the emerging blues camp, once it was discovered that he played for the Junior Kiwis he was rubbed out.

Frankus

Juniors
But you can play origin and then when you don’t cut the mustard decide to play for a tier one nation? Like Chris McQueen. It shouldn’t work both ways don’t you agree?

OldPanther

Coach
But you can play origin and then when you don’t cut the mustard decide to play for a tier one nation? Like Chris McQueen. It shouldn’t work both ways don’t you agree?

I think they need to encourage stronger bonds to their heritage. I don't like swapping and changing at all unless they moved at a really young age and grew up in a different area. Kind of like Sterlo moved at under 5 years and played all his football in NSW.

Latest posts