What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Other NRL Games

Bennett let him leave.

Cook is x1000 times better than what Saints currently have,
Remember the hype surrounding McInnes as SOO hooker?
Same BS as with Aitkin.
McInnes is back doing what he was doing last year - just a tackling robot. Running game no longer a factor.
Watching Cook and Souths tonight puts our team into perspective.
Not often you see Cameron Smith dominated by the opposition dummy half...

Bench
It makes you wonder that once McInness was thought to be better then Cook leading up to SOO. He is no where near Cook as a hooker.
For those who think Dufty is weak in defence how many times did Slater get beaten.
Souths are the team to beat. Their attack is something to see

It makes you wonder that once McInness was thought to be better then Cook leading up to SOO. He is no where near Cook as a hooker.
For those who think Dufty is weak in defence how many times did Slater get beaten.
Souths are the team to beat. Their attack is something to see
Internally there are some elements at the club that are obsessed with the media and hyping the team, certain players and the coach.
McInnes and Aitkin were two in that basket.
Delusional, misplaced optimism.
No grasp of reality.

SaintPauli

Juniors
Internally there are some elements at the club that are obsessed with the media and hyping the team, certain players and the coach.
No grasp of reality.
McKinnes has the ability to be one of the better all round no.9s. Yes he can tackle. Yes he can run the ball and make easy easy meters and with the right support players near him such as Dufty, Hunt, Widdop and Nene we have so many options for left or right side plays which would keep opposition sides second guessing. Ultimately he has been poorly coached last 8 weeks.

McKinnes has the ability to be one of the better all round no.9s. Yes he can tackle. Yes he can run the ball and make easy easy meters and with the right support players near him such as Dufty, Hunt, Widdop and Nene we have so many options for left or right side plays which would keep opposition sides second guessing. Ultimately he has been poorly coached last 8 weeks.
I personally like McInnes a lot but branding him a SOO candidate was premature.
The bigger question is why has he gone away from his running game?
I suspect he is under instructions.
The follow on question to that is, why has McGregor changed his game plan?
Nothing makes sense with what is happening and McInnes is part of a misfiring spine now.
Saturday he comes up against one of the best no. 9's in the game in Isaac Luc.
He needs to have a big game if we are to win.

ouryears

Bench
They say you should never judge a book by its cover but for some reason I just can’t warm to him. He may be a good coach but he does have a good roster so they should be in contention & are.
They came something like 14th last year, they added Gagai but not much else.
Madge had them playing like Mary has us playing.
Remarkable turnaround.
They play hard and tough together with speed, width and imagination.

Good roster? Madge had pretty much the same roster.
The Burgess boys now play hard and fast without dropping the ball every 5 minutes, I think Siebold has turnaround like none other.

We are snails compared to Souths.

ouryears

Bench
Remember the hype surrounding McInnes as SOO hooker?
Same BS as with Aitkin.
McInnes is back doing what he was doing last year - just a tackling robot. Running game no longer a factor.
Watching Cook and Souths tonight puts our team into perspective.
Not often you see Cameron Smith dominated by the opposition dummy half...
They sure were exciting to watch, it was great to see smith and slater dominated and beaten.
Light years ahead of us.

ouryears

Bench
The passing game at speed that Souths halves showed, Widdop and Hunt could only dream of.

They came something like 14th last year, they added Gagai but not much else.
Madge had them playing like Mary has us playing.
Remarkable turnaround.
They play hard and tough together with speed, width and imagination.

Good roster? Madge had pretty much the same roster.
The Burgess boys now play hard and fast without dropping the ball every 5 minutes, I think Siebold has turnaround like none other.

We are snails compared to Souths.
I also think Siebold has done a phenomenal job. Especially considering he's a rookie coach in his first year.
Coaching pedigree - Bellamy's assistant/disciple, tertiary education Master of Education.
Astute appointment by Souths with immediate results.
We appointed a rookie coach with 3 years of bush footy and 2 mediocre years coaching the Cutters.
Then appointed assistant coach to Price.
When Bennett took over in 2009, the first thing he did was let McGregor go.
4 years later we are still paying for that appointment and extension(s)

Coffs dragon

Bench
I also think Siebold has done a phenomenal job. Especially considering he's a rookie coach in his first year.
Coaching pedigree - Bellamy's assistant/disciple, tertiary education Master of Education.
Astute appointment by Souths with immediate results.
We appointed a rookie coach with 3 years of bush footy and 2 mediocre years coaching the Cutters.
Then appointed assistant coach to Price.
When Bennett took over in 2009, the first thing he did was let McGregor go.
4 years later we are still paying for that appointment and extension(s)
Summed up wonderfully Dennis & what a contrast indeed. You could also add that Seibold also has David Furner as his assistant coach with plenty of years of NRL experience as Head Coach. Both Seibold & Furner have no ties or past players to the Rabbitohs.
Our mob have Hornby, Young & Head all on the gravy train being ex Dragon players with virtually no coaching experience outside the Steelers sheltered workshop.
At the end of the day/year, our organisation is not comparable with teams that are performance based in coaching set ups and structures.

Last edited:

BennyV

Referee
Bennett let him leave.

Cook is x1000 times better than what Saints currently have,
It was actually Price that let him walk at the end of 2013. Been told an interesting story about Ben Harlan seeing the news that he’d signed with the Dogs while he was on end-of-season holidays, came back in shock because he knew Cookie had a big future. But Young (I think) and Price wanted to put their eggs into the Mitch Rein basket. I’m trying to think of a dumber retention/release decision the club has made in the NRL era, but I can’t!

Agree on the second part though. Cook is a notch above every other hooker not named Cameron Smith. He’d be in the running for Dally M medal I’d say. If he keeps this up over a few year, he could change the position overall...

Blood Shot Eyes

First Grade
Its great to be back in OZ......after catching up on a few replays of our games and watching Souths v Melb its of my opinion that we are sadly missing 1 prop, 2 centres and a winger (although tbh I knew that before I left)...hopefully the boys prove me wrong but we just dont play with the same passion and intensity that these teams do.....im hoping the Warriors game today will kick start some hope for our supporters as we approach the finals

BLM01

First Grade
No grasp of reality.
I agree but that the BS media for you who pump up anyone after 1 game (I do not believe it is the internal speaking out or the coach pumping their tyres) and includes NSW with their camps of 30 they bring in to make players think they have reached that level, Aitken was judged this year by the media on 1 step past Inglis in Round 5 when clearly Inglis was not back at full throttle since his ACL. He was lauded as being all over him, showing him up n that game etc, form centre of the comp and it goes on. Mcinnes was playing fast and well early on.

The only thing internally that I think Mcgregor has a problem with he believes that we have a squad that can turn it on anytime, and we can be something we are not as showed by form for now most of the year. What worked early when sides were not ramping up yet and that their form since Round 10 even in sratchy wins has been good enough. He thought the win against the Cowboys was that we played well. He said against Canberra that he thought we would always win and were in control of that game. Against Parra we showed a way to win from behind and good sides do that. Those statements were not reality.
Last year his go to was, we were 1st most of the year and we are still in the 8 and 3rd in attack, 4th in defence blah blah, that was when we wer sliding big time.
That is the internal problem of our club and coach, can not recognise where our cracks are widening in the process of a season and ability to repair.

blacksafake

First Grade
We have a pretty decent roster- look at at how many SOO forwards we have. Souths roster is pretty good. Some coaching influence, but usually recruitment managers.

Souths are a well-drilled side. Ours isn't. Coaching.

Our outside backs are slow, but the youngsters who are quick are not given a go are quick.Look at the age of Souths outside backs. Their coach gave them a go, ours didn't. Coaching.

And that's why you should warm to Seibold and curse mary with all your breath.
I should of explained myself better re Seibold. When I said I can’t warm to him it was more to do personally, not coaching wise. I think he’s a very good coach don’t worry & I’m in no way sticking up for our L plate of a coach who I’ve been against from day one & is why I tell all my mates who say we can win the comp that with him we won’t.All your points I agree with 100%.

Drag Queen

Bench
It was actually Price that let him walk at the end of 2013. Been told an interesting story about Ben Harlan seeing the news that he’d signed with the Dogs while he was on end-of-season holidays, came back in shock because he knew Cookie had a big future. But Young (I think) and Price wanted to put their eggs into the Mitch Rein basket. I’m trying to think of a dumber retention/release decision the club has made in the NRL era, but I can’t!

Agree on the second part though. Cook is a notch above every other hooker not named Cameron Smith. He’d be in the running for Dally M medal I’d say. If he keeps this up over a few year, he could change the position overall...
If Cook had stayed here it would've stifled his career. We probably did him a favour letting him go. Ironically Rein is playing a hell of a lot better since he left too.

ouryears

Bench
Summed up wonderfully Dennis & what a contrast indeed. You could also add that Seibold also has David Furner as his assistant coach with plenty of years of NRL experience as Head Coach. Both Seibold & Furner have no ties or past players to the Rabbitohs.
Our mob have Hornby, Young & Head all on the gravy train being ex Dragon players with virtually no coaching experience outside the Steelers sheltered workshop.
At the end of the day/year, our organisation is not comparable with teams that are performance based in coaching set ups and structures.
And also Souths sacked their premiership winning coach Madge, 3 yrs after he won it. Imagine our boys club doing that’?!

Results and accountability, Souths board asked Maguire what his plan was for 2018, unhappy with his response, he was gone the next day.

Damo, Alsgi, DA61, Crush....and a few others....are you listening??!!

blacksafake

First Grade
Its great to be back in OZ......after catching up on a few replays of our games and watching Souths v Melb its of my opinion that we are sadly missing 1 prop, 2 centres and a winger (although tbh I knew that before I left)...hopefully the boys prove me wrong but we just dont play with the same passion and intensity that these teams do.....im hoping the Warriors game today will kick start some hope for our supporters as we approach the finals
Welcome back BSE.
We are a couple of strike players short for sur but let’s hope the boys can give you a welcome home present.

SBD82

Coach

Bulldog letting thurston go to keep Brent Sherwin would be worse, but the fact that I have to nominate one of the greatest players of the modern era only reinforces your point imo.

ouryears

Bench
I should of explained myself better re Seibold. When I said I can’t warm to him it was more to do personally, not coaching wise. I think he’s a very good coach don’t worry & I’m in no way sticking up for our L plate of a coach who I’ve been against from day one & is why I tell all my mates who say we can win the comp that with him we won’t.All your points I agree with 100%.
Yes he is an unusual character for a coach, seems calm, measured, well spoken, polite, unassuming, and smart.
Probably why the broncos have offered him 650-800k from all reports, versus current 250k first year coaching salary

Has he got a brother? Can we have one too?

BennyV

Referee
If Cook had stayed here it would've stifled his career. We probably did him a favour letting him go. Ironically Rein is playing a hell of a lot better since he left too.
If Rein is ‘playing better’ (which is arguable, but I guess it was a pretty low bar to start with) it’s because he’s found his true place - that is, reserve grade quality player who can play back up to a real first grader in small doses. The fact that some in our club thought he was captain, future blues or 150+ gamer material shows how bad things have been through the dark years. And it’s insane that those people willingly let Cook go.

Latest posts