What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Is Gus Gould the most overrated GM ever?

soc123_au

Staff member
Considering the basket case we were when he got here I’m still willing to chip in for the statue. Today’s announcement has shown that we won’t settle for anything less than success. As a club we needed this attitude from the beginning. For most of our history we have seemed content just to be in the top grade. Canberra, Tigers, Parra, Dragons & Manly fans would be as jealous as f**k right now that their management don’t have the balls shown today. It may derail this season (although I doubt it) but it makes a statement for the future

Haffa

Penrith should sack him and send him to Newcastle as punishment. Then they should hire Michael Hagan.

BennyV

Referee
From a non-Panthers fan, what Gus has done at Penrith has been nothing short of f**king amazing. It’s incredibly difficult to win the big one in terms of getting lucky with injuries, form and ref decisions but that club is set up to be a powerhouse for the next 5-10 years (coach pending).

MrBlack

Juniors
From a non-Panthers fan, what Gus has done at Penrith has been nothing short of f**king amazing. It’s incredibly difficult to win the big one in terms of getting lucky with injuries, form and ref decisions but that club is set up to be a powerhouse for the next 5-10 years (coach pending).

When Gus got to Penrith it was Bulldogs/Parra/Manly messy (no offence intended, all our clubs go through it). Salary Cap issues, player issues, no authority issues.

Now we've just sacked a coach because running 5th is not good enough.

sensesmaybenumbed

Staff member
Considering the basket case we were when he got here I’m still willing to chip in for the statue. Today’s announcement has shown that we won’t settle for anything less than success. As a club we needed this attitude from the beginning. For most of our history we have seemed content just to be in the top grade. Canberra, Tigers, Parra, Dragons & Manly fans would be as jealous as f**k right now that their management don’t have the balls shown today. It may derail this season (although I doubt it) but it makes a statement for the future
Christ, the tigers really are working hard to get to this point, and cleary was a massive part of that. The Wests Tigers board and CEO won't roll over on this one.

Frailty

First Grade
Has he done a horrible job? No. But it's hard to argue that he has done a good job as GM.

How many players has he signed long term deals to only get rid of them the following year? How many coaches have been sacked now after signing extensions? He has cost that team a lot of money. If 'Hook' wasn't the man for the job, than why did Gus sign an extension when he would have been aware of the issues before hand? Why is he so keen to get back a coach he sacked originally? Only to keep one halfback, who whilst promising, has been somewhat underwhelming this season.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Off the field panthers still losing millions ($4.2mill loss in 2017),crowds and Membership still amongst lowest in Comp, stadium not exactly modern. If it wasn’t. For a poke empire they would be in serious strife.
On field they have the strongest jnr base in the world so expectations of success should be high but until Griffin came along they have been pretty avg, and now they have got rid of him. As GM

I fail to see why he is rated so highly?

Xcalibre

Juniors
According to Griffin, Gus came to him while he was coaching Brisbane, checked out their setup and asked him what the Panthers needed to do to succeed. That's not what a great footy brain and manager does...

If indeed Griffin is mostly responsible for the club's revival, he's now been sacked.

Xcalibre

Juniors
When Gus got to Penrith it was Bulldogs/Parra/Manly messy (no offence intended, all our clubs go through it). Salary Cap issues, player issues, no authority issues.

Now we've just sacked a coach because running 5th is not good enough.

Bulldogs sacked a coach because playing in 2 grand finals wasn't good enough. That's turned out brilliantly.

Manly, while crap for the last 2 seasons, has also been in a few and won a gf in the last decade. Most fans would take that sort of messiness tbh.

flippikat

Bench
If Penrith slide down the table, lose money & players, and generally fall apart over the next few years, what then...?

Does the NRL bail them out? Encourage them to merge with Parra? Move them to Perth???

TheFrog

Coach
Could have been done the day after the side were eliminated from the finals. Not a single eyelid would have been batted. It is a cockup of the highest order.

Pedge1971

First Grade
Off the field panthers still losing millions ($4.2mill loss in 2017),crowds and Membership still amongst lowest in Comp, stadium not exactly modern. If it wasn’t. For a poke empire they would be in serious strife.
On field they have the strongest jnr base in the world so expectations of success should be high but until Griffin came along they have been pretty avg, and now they have got rid of him. As GM

I fail to see why he is rated so highly?

Your punctuation is quality. I almost understood what you said.