What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

If not Ivan, who?

Russell Coight

Juniors
I'm leaning towards tooves or madge aswell. What madge done in particular with that souffs rabble to turn them into a premiership team is unbelievable, maybe he can help us receive the most penalties (cough souffs 2014) out of any team in rugby league history aswell

Russell Coight

Juniors
With the resources of Rusty Crowe, I'm sure any half decent coach would have been able to do the same...just sayin

So just like the coaches that failed before him previously? Ok

Edit Nvm - you mentioned half decent coaches, point taken

Still, the vast majority of their squad during his tenure from the start was wildly untested and thrown into the unknown (ie Burgess brothers, Reynolds, Keary, inglis transition from Melbourne etc)

Tiger05

First Grade
I like the idea of Fittler as head coach and just give him a great support team.

I'm not saying he can coach. I just reckon if you put enough support staff around him he may help attract some players to the club.

Mr_Raditch

Juniors
Maguire is the only option IMO. Dessie left both Manly & the Dogs absolute basket cases & he'd probably come close to bankrupting us with his massive support staff & operations personnel.

Russell Coight

Juniors
Bennett sounds like the right guy in theory but hes just another old fossil who would probably buy his way to a premiership then leave us to another 10 year rebuild ala Newcastle at the end of the day so it's a no from me.

Plus I dont think he would consider us, he'd want a strong club who is close to winning a premiership, not a club who can't even make the top 8 as it stands

Vozzy

Juniors
I know he is inexperienced but Brett Hodgson taking over may not be the worst option. He has been amongst Ivan's system for a year so could try and continue from what he has learnt. The ISP team is also doing much better than the last 2 years in reserves. Lately they have been below where they were but a lot of that is due to the team being called up to first grade every week making that team lose combinations.

Nofolouma, Fonua, Garner, Grant, McQueen, Lolahea Drink water. These players play well under him and keep getting recalls to first grade. Drinkwater for moved to another club. These players being in and out of the ISP team has contributed to the reserves poor form but the fact to do many players are ready to fill first grade spots may be due to Hodgson a bit.

Plus the way Hodgson used to play with his body on the line despite his size for me it would be easy to play for him.

Souths roosters and Cowboys last time they needed a new coach went for something new and it was refreshing and they have all had recent success.

macnaz

Staff member
What has Hodgo learnt from Ivan..
Seriously we have tried harder this year and thats it !!! Ive said it months ago that is the ONLY improvement.. no real game plan, no increase in player skills, no actual tackling improvement.. bad recruitment.. etc etc etc.
Im sorry but Ivan has educated his coaching partners his theories that have turned out to be BS ... get someone like Toovey that was hard as f**k on and off the field and took a shit under the cap side to the finals

gordsy

Juniors
Listen to Griffins talk on fox re how fitness was a joke at the Panthers. Seems a bit like what it's become at the Tigers. I wouldnt hold onto Ivan I would look for compo and gladly move on. As far a Hodgo goes, that would be a terrible idea, let's do it right for once and go out and buy a top flight coach not someone who will do the job for cheap

Tigers Tale

Juniors
Just watching Griffin on NRL360. Gould is a POS if what he is saying is true. We could do worse than having Griffin as coach...he does have good results and takes no sh#t it seems.

Das Hassler

Bench
I do like Go"s comments...particularly in regards Gould's missed call prior to tonights meeting....you'll have to look them up as i'm (correction.. not) good at posting links etc ( among a host of things i"m not good at

Last edited:

Tiger Ted

Bench
Seriously we have tried harder this year and thats it !!! Ive said it months ago that is the ONLY improvement.. no real game plan, no increase in player skills, no actual tackling improvement.. bad recruitment.. etc etc etc.
Im sorry but Ivan has educated his coaching partners his theories that have turned out to be BS ... get someone like Toovey that was hard as f**k on and off the field and took a shit under the cap side to the finals
Exactly !

Vic Mackey

Referee

I agree with this. I’m not going to pretend Cleary is a bad coach, I want him to stay and I still believe he is the perfect coach for where we are atm. To me Cleary’s strengths are building a culture, the players obviously like him and want to play for him. He has certainly improved that at the club. We aren’t the pushovers we used to be and teams know they are always going to be in for a tough game when they play Wests Tigers.

However apart from that that and our defence (which I believe mainly is due to Craig Sandercock) I don’t believe we’ve improved at all this year. Our attack still has no structure, I see no set plays, no moves whatsoever. Pretty much all our tries are from individual play. Look at our 3 tries v Newcastle: Packer hit up, Brooks one off the ruck, Brooks one off the ruck with on offload. The one set move I’ve seen in recent memory was the Brooks try against Saints where Farah faked the kick, and that was from back in the Potter days FFS.

I would have hoped that by round 21 we had seen some inprovement in this but we haven’t. I don’t want Ivan to go but it’s obvious that he is. It’s all good though, we’ll get a decent settlement and buy another quality coach.