What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The trouble with St. George Illawarra

After reading another journalistic masterpiece by the Illawarra Mercury, it occurred to me that we have a coach who does not have a true grasp of reality.
To my dismay, this is what I read.
"It’s a scenario that seemed unthinkable even a month ago, but McGregor said his side’s belief hasn’t wavered despite the recent run of outs.

“When you’re going great, probably not going as good as people say, and when you’re going bad, you’re probably not going as bad as people say. That’s how footy works,” McGregor said.

“When you create what we did, we led the comp up until a month ago and we’re the only team that’s been in the top four [all season], I understand the [scrutiny].

“It’s good because we’ve built that. No one else had built it for us, we’ve built in ourselves and we’ve proven to anyone and everyone that we can beat any side. It’s important we finish what we started, and we’re in a position to do that.”

URL Link: https://www.illawarramercury.com.au...ragons-hit-reset-button-ahead-of-final-month/

We are still talking about leading the comp and being in the top 4....
I will avoid posting how I feel but rather open for comment.

Last edited by a moderator:

hazzbeen

Bench
I dont know who Daniel Lacey is but he will be coaching the women's St George Illawarra team . Lets make a swap , Mary will be good there coaching the girls .....

Drag Queen

Bench
After reading another journalistic masterpiece by the Illawarra Mercury, it occurred to me that we have a coach who does not have a true grasp of reality.
To my dismay, this is what I read.
"It’s a scenario that seemed unthinkable even a month ago, but McGregor said his side’s belief hasn’t wavered despite the recent run of outs.

“When you’re going great, probably not going as good as people say, and when you’re going bad, you’re probably not going as bad as people say. That’s how footy works,” McGregor said.

“When you create what we did, we led the comp up until a month ago and we’re the only team that’s been in the top four [all season], I understand the [scrutiny].

“It’s good because we’ve built that. No one else had built it for us, we’ve built in ourselves and we’ve proven to anyone and everyone that we can beat any side. It’s important we finish what we started, and we’re in a position to do that.”

We are still talking about leading the comp and being in the top 4....
I will avoid posting how I feel but rather open for comment.
Dear sweet jeezus. He actually said that?

BLM01

First Grade
Agree to all, my concerns since 2015 have not been addressed and the same of how he perceives where we are at. He relies heavy on what we have done or could do and stats as to how the team is going and like I said before the positives are enough to carry on as is... it is just he does not realise or see what the negatives are, or need to address them and their impact.
Has he not worked out when we are winning it is when teams are building slowly into their season only to come home strong, so of course when you throw everything into early rounds with no injuries you get results. Yes we will be in the semis (that is a tick to most boards) but with what potency or element of surprise to challenge.
This time of year in press conferences is when he looks outside for reasons for the losses as the we were bit hard done by attitude. After the Warriors 2nd half he believes all we need to do is take that form into the Parra game and will be sweet. We won 12-0 with a glut of possession and little errors, no claim to fame there.

Crush

Coach
After reading these comments the more threads bagging him the better
Disagree. I think one cesspit thread of negativity is quite enough for those that insist on dedicating their freetime to attacking and criticizing the bloke.
It's great to have a whinge about stuff but IMO the quicker you look to the future and positives the better.

Why not just post this in the sack mary thread?
Do we really need yet another bag the coach thread?
No one's bagging the coach...
This is a comment about the Illawarra Mercury article.
They are not at all objective and lack any journalistic merit.
Mainly highlighting that and by default the insensible comments our coach regularly imparts on the public.
How does that fit into the burgeoning "Sack McGregor" thread?

Disagree. I think one cesspit thread of negativity is quite enough for those that insist on dedicating their freetime to attacking and criticizing the bloke.
It's great to have a whinge about stuff but IMO the quicker you look to the future and positives the better.
Been doing exactly that for the last 4 years...at what point do we wake up and poor cold water on ourselves?

Crush

Coach
Mainly highlighting that and by default the insensible comments our coach regularly imparts on the public.
"No ones bagging the coach" :joy:

Drag Queen

Bench
Dennis, you'll always find subjective journalism in the outer metropolis. It's a given.

blacksafake

First Grade
Sorry crush but we’ve been looking to the future for 4 years now. As for the positives they are only there for the first two months of every season.

Crush

Coach
Sorry crush but we’ve been looking to the future for 4 years now. As for the positives they are only there for the first two months of every season.
4th with 4 weeks to go, no chance of missing the 8. I'm looking forward to the next month. If you want to give up thats your call mate.