What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Bennett now

possm

Coach
Sorry good folks, but I have said this before. Paul McGregor will be our coach next year. He will be assisted by Ben Hornby and Dean Young. Until the "sale" is completed the status quo will continue. We are in a financial hole and our mortgagor (the NRL) are not going to allow us to go out and splash money on another coach. All parties will consider that we have done well this year and be satisfied with that. We will continue to bleed good juniors away to other clubs and life will resemble a corridor of revolving doors.
I thought that St George were going to pay the 6m loan to the NRL and get 100% ownership of the joint venture. So no hole and plenty of sponsors to pay for a new coach.

Last edited:

Dragonslayer

First Grade
I'm pretty much convinced McGregor will coach us next year (not that I want that).

The fact remains that the board will consider playing finals football, leading the competition for an extended period of time and the real fact that the players "like" him, so a player revolt is hardly on the cards. And really, why would they revolt, the same players get picked every week, nothing to complain about there even when they're out of form etc. Anyone who does complain is referred to as a reserve grader and is promptly exited the next season.

McGregor is a great coach and a great bloke, just ask the players.

I'm pretty much convinced McGregor will coach us next year (not that I want that).

The fact remains that the board will consider playing finals football, leading the competition for an extended period of time and the real fact that the players "like" him, so a player revolt is hardly on the cards. And really, why would they revolt, the same players get picked every week, nothing to complain about there even when they're out of form etc. Anyone who does complain is referred to as a reserve grader and is promptly exited the next season.

McGregor is a great coach and a great bloke, just ask the players.
McGregor is a great coach, just ask McGregor

Dracarys

Juniors
Bennett is the Casanova of the NRL. He’s currently on the re-bound and will end up in the arms of his sweetheart (us) desperate to prove he’s still got it.
First thing he’ll do is appoint Nightingale as our ambassador and we’ll all immediately fall back in love with him.

Last edited:

SGMax

Juniors
Talk on the Radio NRL shows is that things are not as desired at Brisbane for Bennett who likes to have greater influence and control.
Also, quite a few of the younger players like Haas and Pangai etc, may seek to be released from contracts if Bennett is not the coach.

If Dragons could sign Bennett, he could bring some useful talent with him.....and probably Darius.
Even if he has lost some of his edge it would be better than persisting with the current setup and in 2 or 3 years he will retire and we could have better options and hopefully a title or two.

getsmarty

Immortal
Talk on the Radio NRL shows is that things are not as desired at Brisbane for Bennett who likes to have greater influence and control.
Also, quite a few of the younger players like Haas and Pangai etc, may seek to be released from contracts if Bennett is not the coach.

If Dragons could sign Bennett, he could bring some useful talent with him.....and probably Darius.
Even if he has lost some of his edge it would be better than persisting with the current setup and in 2 or 3 years he will retire and we could have better options and hopefully a title or two.

All good in theory..BUT we have no money...Would need to find and outside source.

possm

Coach

Bennett won't want Millward, Mary, Hornby, Young or Head. So the odds of management signing him are very slim.

Frank Facer

First Grade

If we got Bennett and he brought Haas and Pangai with him, that would be a dream come true. He can leave Darius in Brisbane.

Frank Facer

First Grade
Bennett won't want Millward, Mary, Hornby, Young or Head. So the odds of management signing him are very slim.
I think Bennett would want to have full control over recruitment. I don't know if he would want Millward, but I think he would be very happy to work with Dean Young and Ben Hornby.

gregstar

Referee
If Gordon Tallis’ story about creeping ringing Sydney clubs is true, I hope like f**k he’s called ours.

Red V for life

Juniors
Didn’t post last night coz honestly, I wasted enough time watching the **** that was dished up, I wasn’t about to waste more time ranting about it. Needless to say I was pi$$ed. I do agree with the general sentiments you’ve all posted though.

My mood this morning has not improved any. Monday morning I want two announcements. 1. Who the new CEO is. 2. That new CEO to confirm we’re going in a different direction coaching wise.

That’s the really crappy thing...even if the club is that way inclined, i don’t think anything will be done until the new boss is announced.

j0nesy

Bench
McGregor refuses to admit our forwards in particular are busted, if you look at his post Roosters speech he tries to convince everyone that they have been monitored carefully in time off at training etc for those that played the Origin series bla bla bla....what the Idiot doesnt grasped is these blokes needed time off at staggered intervals during the season especially if they were carrying niggling injuries , if you look at our season thus far we are probably the only team that has fielded the same regular 13 on the paddock week in week out....other clubs havnt done that because they have rested players if they needed to be given time off.....he refuses to blood some of our lower graders and on the odd occasion he basically gives our 16th and 17th players bugger all time off the bench...and to be honest Graham was in my opinion busted when we got him from the Dogs.......and now the pointy end of the season is upon us he takes them off to a camp .....what is it a boot camp or lets all hug and whats happening to us camp...

Spot on, this is the main issue

Mr Red

First Grade
Our CEO is leaving , do you really think he will do anything to sack his mate Mary ? He’ll leave the mess for the new guy I think.
Bennett and Maguire are obvious choices but I doubt anything will happen this season.

Latest posts