What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Bunker footage

rockcod

Juniors
Does anyone have an idea on how this supposed "state of the art" bunker actually works?

I've heard many times that the bunker uses different footage to what we see on TV, yet the bunker commentary matches what we are seeing on the screen so how does that happen?

Seems like half the time they take 20 looks at something obvious and the other half they make a decision before they have seen the best footage or alternate angle which then appears on the screen when its too late.

The James Roberts try late night was the latest example, they looked at the fuzziest crappy footage 4 or 5 times and declared not enough evidence which was fair enough based on that footage. 30 seconds later channel 9 replay it again with new vision that clearly shows the knock on. It was only replayed briefly once but I was watching on delay so went back and watched it a couple of times, clear as day.

How could they not get that footage in the first place, isn't that the whole point of the bunker?

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
They’ve got multiple screens showing different angles at the same time.

If you listen to the commentary from the bunker you’ll hear them refer to which screen they are looking at - eg “bottom left screen shows Jarryd Hayne’s ego has gone into touch before he grounds the ball”

We only see one main screen at a time on the tv, however as they are slowing down the vision on the screen we see, the other screens are slowing down as well.

rockcod

Juniors
So are the refs looking at the wrong screen or are they not getting the right vision? It doesn't matter many screens they have when they can only look at one at a time.

You would think by the time the ref had called for the bunker they should of had a quick look though all the footage to find the most useful, that doesn't seem to be happening. The broadcaster must know how many cameras they have so not sure how they can miss the footage until after the decision like last night, seems to be quite common.

Canard

Immortal
So are the refs looking at the wrong screen or are they not getting the right vision? It doesn't matter many screens they have when they can only look at one at a time.

You would think by the time the ref had called for the bunker they should of had a quick look though all the footage to find the most useful, that doesn't seem to be happening. The broadcaster must know how many cameras they have so not sure how they can miss the footage until after the decision like last night, seems to be quite common.

I'm pretty sure the bunker has live footage from every camera at the ground.

It seems they deemed that no camera angle showed enough evidence. From what I saw it was a 50/50 so I'm not that fussed.

rockcod

Juniors
I'm pretty sure the bunker has live footage from every camera at the ground.

It seems they deemed that no camera angle showed enough evidence. From what I saw it was a 50/50 so I'm not that fussed.

The cameras they were looking at during the bunker decision were terrible and I would agree with the not enough evidence call, the one after was very clear and showed the ball deflecting off Roberts' hand. I'm sure if the ref looked at that camera angle from later it would have been a reversal. Why spend all the money on the bunker if they only look at some of the cameras, if a call like last night happens in a final it wont be good.

Canard

Immortal
The cameras they were looking at during the bunker decision were terrible and I would agree with the not enough evidence call, the one after was very clear and showed the ball deflecting off Roberts' hand. I'm sure if the ref looked at that camera angle from later it would have been a reversal. Why spend all the money on the bunker if they only look at some of the cameras, if a call like last night happens in a final it wont be good.

Has that been confirmed?
Isn't it supposed to be filmed in HD .
When they try for a closeup..like last night it looks like it was filmed with a potato .

I wonder if Townsville might not have the normal HD equipment?

rockcod

Juniors
Has that been confirmed?

I wonder if Townsville might not have the normal HD equipment?

Not that I know of, I was expecting one of the commentators to mention it but the footage I saw was just a quick replay that I hardly noticed but I thought it looked clearer than the other replays. I ran it back and had another look and it was much more obvious than the earlier replays, still a bit fuzzy but it was better and zoomed in, could clearly see ball touch hand which was all that was needed.

rockcod

Juniors
The footage of it on nrl.com in the highlights is better than what the bunker was looking at, I'm sure the footage on the tv was clearer again, if slowed down you can see the ball bounce off his hand.

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
As someone has already explained to you previously, you aren't privy to "the cameras they were looking at during the bunker decision".

What's shown on the broadcast is often different to what they see in the Bunker, as they have complete access to all cameras at the venue.

rockcod

Juniors
As someone has already explained to you previously, you aren't privy to "the cameras they were looking at during the bunker decision".

What's shown on the broadcast is often different to what they see in the Bunker, as they have complete access to all cameras at the venue.

So the bunker has a screen for every camera at the same time? The system seems like a mess, if they don't show what the bunker is looking at the then why bother showing anything, may as well go to an add break and come back to the decision.

The video ref doesn't have time to watch the replay from every camera so obviously there is some system in place to establish the most relevant camera angles for the ref to check, this is the part of the system I'm suggesting needs work, we should have been watching a much better replay last night as the bunker made the decision. If channel 9 can't get a decent replay to their viewers in that time why don't they piggy back of the bunker vision?

We get to see what the 3rd umpire in cricket is looking at, how can we not see what the bunker is looking at.

unforgiven

Bench
So the bunker has a screen for every camera at the same time? The system seems like a mess, if they don't show what the bunker is looking at the then why bother showing anything, may as well go to an add break and come back to the decision.

The video ref doesn't have time to watch the replay from every camera so obviously there is some system in place to establish the most relevant camera angles for the ref to check, this is the part of the system I'm suggesting needs work, we should have been watching a much better replay last night as the bunker made the decision. If channel 9 can't get a decent replay to their viewers in that time why don't they piggy back of the bunker vision?

We get to see what the 3rd umpire in cricket is looking at, how can we not see what the bunker is looking at.
Because as has been explained to you the Bunker has multiple feeds on different screens. The timing on these screens is linked so you can see that from one camera the ball is on the ground and use a different camera at the same time to see that the players foot has remained in. You at home ARE NOT watching the same vision as the bunker!!

When the bunker was first introduced they used to show a split screen on television and at the ground so viewers could see the multiple camera angles too but this reduces the pictures too small, especially at the ground.

rockcod

Juniors
Because as has been explained to you the Bunker has multiple feeds on different screens. The timing on these screens is linked so you can see that from one camera the ball is on the ground and use a different camera at the same time to see that the players foot has remained in. You at home ARE NOT watching the same vision as the bunker!!

When the bunker was first introduced they used to show a split screen on television and at the ground so viewers could see the multiple camera angles too but this reduces the pictures too small, especially at the ground.

Yes, its been explained, I'm not claiming that the bunker is watching the TV footage. Most of the time the bunker is talking through the footage exactly as we see on the screen, whether they are looking at different footage or the same who knows but at least we can see what is going on.

Last night and on many other occasions the bunker has appeared to make a decision based on what we see on the screen and then other footage is showed later that is very conclusive, something is not adding up to me.

The video ref is under pressure to make a decision as quick as possible and the people running the video are under pressure to get the right vision, I feel like times like yesterday they didn't take their time to get it right and may have missed an important view.

unforgiven

Bench
Yes, its been explained, I'm not claiming that the bunker is watching the TV footage. Most of the time the bunker is talking through the footage exactly as we see on the screen, whether they are looking at different footage or the same who knows but at least we can see what is going on.

Last night and on many other occasions the bunker has appeared to make a decision based on what we see on the screen and then other footage is showed later that is very conclusive, something is not adding up to me.

The video ref is under pressure to make a decision as quick as possible and the people running the video are under pressure to get the right vision, I feel like times like yesterday they didn't take their time to get it right and may have missed an important view.

It's been explained but you are not understanding it.

The Bunker has access to all the camera angles, you are seeing one screen from their feed while they are watching multiple screens. You do not know what they are looking at. They are not making a decision based on what you see on the screen, they would have had the other angle you are talking about right in front of them.

rockcod

Juniors
It's been explained but you are not understanding it.

The Bunker has access to all the camera angles, you are seeing one screen from their feed while they are watching multiple screens. You do not know what they are looking at. They are not making a decision based on what you see on the screen, they would have had the other angle you are talking about right in front of them.

I am understanding, do you think the Tv coverage never shows the same views or does the bunker have their own coverage and exclusive cameras! Does the broadcaster deliberately find the worst camera angles to show? I get it, sometimes we are seeing the same vision sometimes we aren’t.

My point from last night is that I’m sure that if the bunker ref looked at the vision that channel 9 showed as the last replay he would have ruled knock on as it was very obvious. Either the ref is geniused, he didn’t get that vision or he didn’t look at the right screen. If channel 9 took all that time to find a clear view of what happened why is it so hard to believe that the people driving the bunker could take the same amount of time to find it.

unforgiven

Bench
I am understanding, do you think the Tv coverage never shows the same views or does the bunker have their own coverage and exclusive cameras! Does the broadcaster deliberately find the worst camera angles to show? I get it, sometimes we are seeing the same vision sometimes we aren’t. They also have about 3 assistants.

My point from last night is that I’m sure that if the bunker ref looked at the vision that channel 9 showed as the last replay he would have ruled knock on as it was very obvious. Either the ref is geniused, he didn’t get that vision or he didn’t look at the right screen. If channel 9 took all that time to find a clear view of what happened why is it so hard to believe that the people driving the bunker could take the same amount of time to find it.
They have control of the replays, they are watching multiple camera angles at the same time side by side. They have a screen with every camera angle on it so they can select the appropriate angles and send those to the larger screens.

I do not believe they would have missed viewing it from a particular camera.

rockcod

Juniors
They have control of the replays, they are watching multiple camera angles at the same time side by side. They have a screen with every camera angle on it so they can select the appropriate angles and send those to the larger screens.

I do not believe they would have missed viewing it from a particular camera.

How many people are watching all these screens at once?
I don’t know what they were looking at, I watched it again tonight and when the original replays were playing they were jumping around at the critical point, the replay they played after the decision wasn’t jumpy and a ricochet off Roberts hand was clear. Maybe there was some technical problem and the bunker was watching the same jumpy video at the time but it was very clear that it was a knock on on the later version which is why I’d be very surprised if the bunker ref saw that footage and ruled not enough evidence.

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
JFC

You could argue the sun isn't hot.

You have been told repeatedly that the vision the Bunker has access to (every camera at the ground) and what we see on TV (one, sometimes two angles at any one time) are not the same thing.

While the broadcaster would endeavour to show the most relevant angles the Bunker might refer to, the Bunker has all angles available in their giant room. There are two main Bunker officials, one is senior. There is usually support staff around as well as I understand.

What you're referring to from last night is your own bias, not actual fact. Stop presenting it as such.

Or better still, get over it and move on.

Latest posts