What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hall of Fame and Immortals

Im just a bit confused with the choices its a bit hard to pick a player that never actually played any test matches for australia dave brown but congratulations to them all i think meninga should of been there before johns and im still confused how johns got there it was a pitty vote for him at the time not saying hes not a great player but statistics wise hes number 5
or 6 place in the halfbacks alone

Sorry, but Dave Brown most certainly did play test matches for Australia, 9 of them in total. In fact he was Australia's youngest ever test captain (22 years and 177 days) when he was made captain of the 1935 tour of New Zealand. Source: https://www.rugbyleagueproject.org/players/7415

ed-grimley

Bench
Ken Irvine should get serious consideration.
For the record Irvine scored the most tries for a first-grade career with 212.(Billy Slater is 2nd with 187)
He is 2nd in the number of international tries for Australia with 33 tries to Darren Lockyer's 33. (from 31 games and 59 games respectively)
He is one of RL's 100 greatest players, a member of RL's team of the century and #15 in the hall of fame.
Must be an Immortal.

King hit

Coach
And to think he did it for a team that hardly ever won games. Imagine Irvine playing for St George

And to think he did it for a team that hardly ever won games. Imagine Irvine playing for St George
Maybe it was that be played for a shit side that he scored that many.

I don’t know their team from that era well at all but I’d say he was their only attacking weapon so maybe he got the ball more then your average winger.

If he was at the best teams he may have just been another cog in a machine.

King hit

Coach
Maybe it was that be played for a shit side that he scored that many.

I don’t know their team from that era well at all but I’d say he was their only attacking weapon so maybe he got the ball more then your average winger.

If he was at the best teams he may have just been another cog in a machine.

Irvine was a try scoring freak for Australia and NSW side as well, scoring 33 tries in 30 tests in an age of English masterclass and 30 tries in 24 games for a dominant NSW side. He was a superstar in all levels of the game.

Irvine was described as a pocket rocket with lightning speed that had the ability to finish any backline movement.

Perth Tiger

Bench
If Slater and Stewart couldn’t break his record then I really struggle to see if anyone will ever be able to.

If you can set an unbreakable try scoring record that is an immortal to me

If Slater and Stewart couldn’t break his record then I really struggle to see if anyone will ever be able to.

If you can set an unbreakable try scoring record that is an immortal to me

Well Dave Brown is still waiting for two of his records to fall - 45 points in a game and 38 tries in a season. They've only stood since 1935 (i.e. 83 years).

Rhino_NQ

Immortal
Well Dave Brown is still waiting for two of his records to fall - 45 points in a game and 38 tries in a season. They've only stood since 1935 (i.e. 83 years).
well the game is slowly heading towards someone kicking 20 penalty goals in a match, chuck in a converted try and bam

Perth Tiger

Bench
Exactly, I was so glad they added the 3 pre war guys. If RL is played for another 200 Years, Dave Brown will still be the single season try leader

Perth Tiger

Bench
Irvine’s has lasted 45 and counting.

It would interesting to see how long the major record has lasted in other codes like TDs in NFL, runs in cricket, points in NBA etc. but I am not interested enough to do the work :wink:

Brian Bevan needs to be made an Immortal next time around. He played for Eastern Suburbs before moving to the UK at a time when Great Britain dominated Australia in rugby league. He has a massive try scoring record in Britain that nobody will ever approach, let alone eclipse. He is an icon at Warrington and deserves to be treated the same in Australia.

gitano

Juniors
For the record Irvine scored the most tries for a first-grade career with 212.(Billy Slater is 2nd with 187)
He is 2nd in the number of international tries for Australia with 33 tries to Darren Lockyer's 33. (from 31 games and 59 games respectively)
He is one of RL's 100 greatest players, a member of RL's team of the century and #15 in the hall of fame.
Must be an Immortal.
Not in that class though cobber

gitano

Juniors
Brian Bevan needs to be made an Immortal next time around. He played for Eastern Suburbs before moving to the UK at a time when Great Britain dominated Australia in rugby league. He has a massive try scoring record in Britain that nobody will ever approach, let alone eclipse. He is an icon at Warrington and deserves to be treated the same in Australia.
Difficult one that, Albie.

Surely it's impact on the Australian game. He misses for mine

Irvine was a try scoring freak for Australia and NSW side as well, scoring 33 tries in 30 tests in an age of English masterclass and 30 tries in 24 games for a dominant NSW side. He was a superstar in all levels of the game.

Irvine was described as a pocket rocket with lightning speed that had the ability to finish any backline movement.
Wow I'm impressed.

Wally Lewis says hi.

As I understand it, Ian Heads thought Bevan should be an immortal. I'd put his knowledge ahead of all but a handful worldwide.

ed-grimley

Bench
Lockyer shouldn't be an immortal either
So Slater (for instance) more deserving of the honour than Irvine? Do you know enough to make a valid call? Irvine's figures and standing in the game would suggest he deserves it. I guess we'll have to ask some people who actually saw him play and get their opinion.

Latest posts