What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Game Future NRL Stadiums part II

T-Boon

Coach
with Westmead growing and the tram going in the WSS will be getting capacity crowds. I think the NRL should move its headquarters out there.

taipan

Referee
The promise wasn't delivered on because the AFL got in, worked hard and pulled political strings whilst the NRL sat back like dopes and did nothing. That would be fine so long as the NRL learned something but they didn't. AFL is still kicking the NRLs arse in political influence 20 years later.

You do understand AFL tragic, then again living in another universe I doubt it.The NSW Govt made it unequivocally clear, the stadium would revert to a rectangular status post Olympics.

You're another AFL follower ,who still doesn't get the gist ,there are 3 CODES involved not just the NRL.
The NRL/ARU/Soccer expected that commitment to be delivered upon.It was not a case of the need to lobby them to do so.
You got half of your statement correct, for many years the AFL sucked hundreds of millions, no in fact a few billion to get new stadiums.
Only now the codes and indeed Govts realise,there is more than just the AFL operating as a sporting code in this country.They are due for a slice of the action finally.

That's why the Storm and A league teams finally got a new stadium in Melbourne.
That's why Sydney is finally getting decent stadiums, delayed at ANZ because a deceptive AFL wanted it, now don't.
And the less said about GWS sleight of hand trick to the NSW Govt and the Blacktown Council the better.
That's why Darwin is getting a new $25m stadium for NRL games.
New stadium in Townsville.
And why the SARL got a new home ground in Adelaide.
And why VIC/WA/SA Govts had a light bulb moment.Gee SOO is great with crowds. let's get some of it.And pay for the privilege.

The paper weight State Govts in the AFL states ,just did nothing but a*se bend to the AFL's whim.
You have no trouble defending AFL with the skullduggery that went on with GWS,nor their underhanded tactics with ANZ.And apparently support yeah we'll use ANZ,then no we won't attitude of the swans/AFL.
You thus expose yourself completely on the matter.Honesty means stuff all as long as it benefits AFL.

AFL better make hay whilst the sun shines, because as the saying goes, the sun eventually comes down.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Only now the codes and indeed Govts realise,there is more than just the AFL operating as a sporting code in this country.They are due for a slice of the action finally.

n.

Not sure if you’ve ever dealt with Govt but he who builds the relationships and lobbies best gets the rewards. AFL were decades in front of us in this regard and no surprise that one of the big successes of an independent commission has been a big focus on Govt lobbying which is now reaping rewards for RL. Better late than never! Nothing to do with Govt realising there is more than afl, simply NRL is finally in front of them and offering them opportunities to look good which is what Govt is mostly Interested in.

taipan

Referee
Not sure if you’ve ever dealt with Govt but he who builds the relationships and lobbies best gets the rewards. AFL were decades in front of us in this regard and no surprise that one of the big successes of an independent commission has been a big focus on Govt lobbying which is now reaping rewards for RL. Better late than never! Nothing to do with Govt realising there is more than afl, simply NRL is finally in front of them and offering them opportunities to look good which is what Govt is mostly Interested in.

LOL.I've dealt with Fed//State and local ,so have a fair idea of the lie of the land.Am fully conversant with lobbyists.I also know politicians pork barrel, then renege.This stadium would have been made rectangular
,until the fumbler mob stepped in.That is a complete difference from offering something and giving nothing.
FYI one of my closest mates spent his life in Dept of Foreign affairs in Canberra and beyond.

But according to you the Commission has done stuff all.Yet they decided and yes it was under Smith, that lobbyists are in fact necessary.Says a lot for the code's CEOs prior.

It appears (and we know your love for AFL),that the GWS complete waste and misuse of public monies, appears to be Ok in your sight.Well who woulda thought.
Yet the State Govt after getting the sleight of hand and being rogered,provides more funding for Spotless.

It's apparently Ok for a stadium to be reconfigured ,then another singular code decides to throw in a few shekels so it can be used for them.Then they decide we don;t need it,so the rectnangular codes are left holding the baby(aka a mausoleum known as ANZ)

Really LOL perhaps you have a chat with the Vic Govt as to why it took until the impending arrival of the A league (Victory),for the same Govt to get the Storm out of their old cow paddock.IOW the Storm were just an afterthought by the Vic Govt.
Oh and we did get CBus up thanks to Searle then stuffed the final proceedings .
And i further note Shepherd of GWS and the SCG Trust would much prefer ANZ remain in its present config.

Seriously PR you get blinded by AFL spin time and time again.

Perth Red

Post Whore
LOL.I've dealt with Fed//State and local ,so have a fair idea of the lie of the land.Am fully conversant with lobbyists.I also know politicians pork barrel, then renege.This stadium would have been made rectangular
,until the fumbler mob stepped in.That is a complete difference from offering something and giving nothing.
FYI one of my closest mates spent his life in Dept of Foreign affairs in Canberra and beyond.

But according to you the Commission has done stuff all.Yet they decided and yes it was under Smith, that lobbyists are in fact necessary.Says a lot for the code's CEOs prior.

It appears (and we know your love for AFL),that the GWS complete waste and misuse of public monies, appears to be Ok in your sight.Well who woulda thought.
Yet the State Govt after getting the sleight of hand and being rogered,provides more funding for Spotless.

It's apparently Ok for a stadium to be reconfigured ,then another singular code decides to throw in a few shekels so it can be used for them.Then they decide we don;t need it,so the rectnangular codes are left holding the baby(aka a mausoleum known as ANZ)

Really LOL perhaps you have a chat with the Vic Govt as to why it took until the impending arrival of the A league (Victory),for the same Govt to get the Storm out of their old cow paddock.IOW the Storm were just an afterthought by the Vic Govt.
Oh and we did get CBus up thanks to Searle then stuffed the final proceedings .
And i further note Shepherd of GWS and the SCG Trust would much prefer ANZ remain in its present config.

Seriously PR you get blinded by AFL spin time and time again.

Well then you should be fully conversant with how the mechanisms of government work, it’s not about right or wrong, good or bad. It’s who is best at putting forward their cause and convincing the Govt it will make them look good.

Re commission never said they’ve done nothhing. What I have been critical of is their failing to meet any of their kpi’s in their strategic plan. Govt lobbying is one of the few areas they’ve got much better at since Smith took power.

Re Govt spending on afl, I am very dubious of the community benefit of Govt spending on professional sport full,stop. It’s very “Roman emperor”mentality. I’d afl have got themselves good deals good on em, hopefully we continue to do the same.

Raiderdave

First Grade
ANZ will be half arsed, if done at all. They have already won.
this
just moving 20K seats up, 10K at either end 25 metres will improve it obviously but not a great deal
as nothing else will change.
as has been said many times
if we're spending 800 million on that .. why bother

use the 800 million on another proper rectangle venue with around 70K seats somewhere that's easier to access on a main rail line.
sure it'll be a little half arsed & lacking a few bells & whistles
but it will be a better solution.

the new SFS needs to look at the WSS venue for its design
another tier of seats on the opposite side to the corporates & at either end , so 45K capacity
butta bing , butta bang
we're done.

TheRam

Coach
The promise wasn't delivered on because the AFL got in, worked hard and pulled political strings whilst the NRL sat back like dopes and did nothing. That would be fine so long as the NRL learned something but they didn't. AFL is still kicking the NRLs arse in political influence 20 years later.

Also what these history revisionist seem to ignore or chose to forget is that the Gov ALWAYS had the option for the AFL to contribute $1 million up to a certain date if they wanted to also use the stadium post Olympics and therefore it would be left as an oval with only the ends brought in and modified smaller. Which they obviously did action. Unfortunately the NRL being under the leadership of clowns by this stage never did anything about it.

Not much has changed. The NRL and ARL now that Grant is running it,(look at the c**kup they just put out with the international program. Where's the Polynesian nations in any of it) is still lurching and stumbling from one f**kup to another. When was the last great decision/advancement made by the NRL that anyone can point to. I can't think of any.

Anyone, anyone...

Perth Red

Post Whore
Also what these history revisionist seem to ignore or chose to forget is that the Gov ALWAYS had the option for the AFL to contribute $1 million up to a certain date if they wanted to also use the stadium post Olympics and therefore it would be left as an oval with only the ends brought in and modified smaller. Which they obviously did action. Unfortunately the NRL being under the leadership of clowns by this stage never did anything about it.

Not much has changed. The NRL and ARL now that Grant is running it,(look at the c**kup they just put out with the international program. Where's the Polynesian nations in any of it) is still lurching and stumbling from one f**kup to another. When was the last great decision/advancement made by the NRL that anyone can point to. I can't think of any.

Anyone, anyone...

Their only saving grace Tbf is is getting some stadiums happening. Sure they faked up the lobbying for anz but that aside the others are good outcomes and RL in Victoria getting some Govt support is good news. Sure for 5 years and a billion $’s it might not seem to some as big outcomes lol

Other than that agreed, they’ve pretty much failed or been neutral in everything else which is disappointing given our hopes in 2012 for what independence would deliver and the revenue they have had at their disposal.

It’s no surprise that they have refused to publicly release their new strat plan, after the failure of the last one they don’t want people to have measurables to hold themselves accountable to!

T-Boon

Coach

I really think the problem is the clubs rather than the NRL administration. The clubs have control and they are uber dumb and greedy.

TheRam

Coach
I really think the problem is the clubs rather than the NRL administration. The clubs have control and they are uber dumb and greedy.

Yes, but again, it is the NRL's problem that the clubs have got the control. Strong and effective leaders could and would wrestle that power away from the clubs and back where it belongs. Just like Arko and Canon did.

Leaders lead and the rest will follow. I wouldn't listen to this rubble calling themselves NRL admin either.

taipan

Referee
Well then you should be fully conversant with how the mechanisms of government work, it’s not about right or wrong, good or bad. It’s who is best at putting forward their cause and convincing the Govt it will make them look good.

Re commission never said they’ve done nothhing. What I have been critical of is their failing to meet any of their kpi’s in their strategic plan. Govt lobbying is one of the few areas they’ve got much better at since Smith took power.

Re Govt spending on afl, I am very dubious of the community benefit of Govt spending on professional sport full,stop. It’s very “Roman emperor”mentality. I’d afl have got themselves good deals good on em, hopefully we continue to do the same.

I'm full conversant how Govt works.And I'm, fully conversant about a code who tells porkies to secure Govt monies,promising to do one thing and doing the complete opposite.
Govt of the people,meaning not just one group in isolation is what democracy is all about.

I think you need to check your historical posts re the Commission ,one has to send out a search party to find anything positive.In fact it is fair to suggest 99% of your posts are negative toward the NRL and the admin.
No admin is perfect and make their fair share of blues, but mate you go over the top.and that's not just my view.

I am fully appreciative of the fact in your eyes ,the AFL can do no wrong, and the NRL is only capable of incompetence..

Govt spending on pro sport is based mainly one thing, getting a monetary return via interstate tourism and indeed at times overseas tourism.And the possibility of securing major International events via new infrastructure.The fact is 3 rectangular codes in this country have the basis for doing such things.The facts are these codes in Sydney have been neglected re infrastructure,and the one who has benefitted is the AFL.
These 3 codes represent the overwhelming majority of Sydney/NSW sporting population.So on that basis the past decisions(favouring a singular code) have not made the Govt look good..The State Govt was made to look foolish with the GWS debacle.,as was the Blacktown council.

taipan

Referee

Anyone, anyone...

I can think of a few ,off my head.Yes I can name stuff ups including no expansion and providing too much for club grants, but that's not the question.

Women's rugby league comp for a starter.
Making the punch and shoulder charge worthy of penalty or send off.
A lobby group within the NRL.
Lobbying to get decent infrastructure in Sydney.although ANZ is half baked, but hell anything's better than the current one.
An accord with the RLPA.
Making profit this year to be used in a future fund.
Getting Karen Murphy to head up the Integrity Unit.
Ensuring if you deck someone in public ,you don't; get a slap on them wrist.You are made to pay financially.
A decision to not financially support any team, who gets into a financial stuff up.Making NRL clubs finally responsible for their destiny.
Getting State Govts to pay big bikkies for staging SOO in their States.
Getting the State govt to provide $50m for Centres of Excellence for a few clubs.

IMO getting better stadiums is a major one.We complain about sh*t crowds,if new stadiums don't help, we have a big problem.

Last edited:

Latest posts