What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Another pointless Rugby Thread

Force

Juniors
Depends which team you are. Ask Samoa, PNG, France and Wales how hard it is to get a win against the big 3. Ask England how hard it is to beat the Kangaroos. It is all relative. Fiji would find it hard against the big boys in both codes and their Union win against a French team going through a rough patch is about the same as the Fiji League win against a Kiwi team going through a rough patch. It is all relative.
Samoa almost piped the Kiwi's in the 4N a few years ago. If Samoa were at full strength like Tonga then they would beat the Kiwi's too. France are woeful in league, a lot worse than their Union counter-part. England are knocking at the door against the Kangaroos, they ran them close in the final and just beat the Kiwi's in a test series. Given the number of Kangaroo great's retiring, they will have a better chance now. I still stand by the fact its harder to get a win in Union than league given the competition is mush better.

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
Samoa almost piped the Kiwi's in the 4N a few years ago. If Samoa were at full strength like Tonga then they would beat the Kiwi's too. France are woeful in league, a lot worse than their Union counter-part. England are knocking at the door against the Kangaroos, they ran them close in the final and just beat the Kiwi's in a test series. Given the number of Kangaroo great's retiring, they will have a better chance now. I still stand by the fact its harder to get a win in Union than league given the competition is mush better.

I agree with pretty much everything in that post, but I'll still come back to this - it is just as hard for any RL playing nation to beat the Kangaroos as it is for any RU country to beat the All Blacks.

Next level down: England and NZ RL = England, South Africa, Ireland Wales, Australia RU in terms of competitiveness with the top (Kangaroos / All Blacks)

Tonga = Argentina

Next level down: RL's Samoa, Fijij & PNG = Scotland and Italy in union in terms of their competitiveness with the above levels

I take you point re: the depth of union - no argument there but if we break them into the three groups described above, it is pretty much just as hard to win in RL than it is in RU.

Whatwhere

Juniors
I agree with pretty much everything in that post, but I'll still come back to this - it is just as hard for any RL playing nation to beat the Kangaroos as it is for any RU country to beat the All Blacks.

Next level down: England and NZ RL = England, South Africa, Ireland Wales, Australia RU in terms of competitiveness with the top (Kangaroos / All Blacks)

Tonga = Argentina

Next level down: RL's Samoa, Fijij & PNG = Scotland and Italy in union in terms of their competitiveness with the above levels

I take you point re: the depth of union - no argument there but if we break them into the three groups described above, it is pretty much just as hard to win in RL than it is in RU.

Perhaps. But what is very different is that outside of the ABs being perennial No.1s the make up of the teams within each of those bands is far more fluid than it is in RL.

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
Perhaps. But what is very different is that outside of the ABs being perennial No.1s the make up of the teams within each of those bands is far more fluid than it is in RL.

Is it really though?

1. AB's

2. Aus, South Africa, England, Wales, Ireland, France

3. Argentina

4. Scotland, Italy

Pretty much been the case since the 90's with Argentina probably the only mover going from below Scotland and Italy to above. Depth is greater and RU has more potential in the near future for new nations to join Scotland and Italy but that has pretty much been the world order for quite a while.

Whatwhere

Juniors
Is it really though?

1. AB's

3. Argentina

4. Scotland, Italy

Pretty much been the case since the 90's with Argentina probably the only mover going from below Scotland and Italy to above. Depth is greater and RU has more potential in the near future for new nations to join Scotland and Italy but that has pretty much been the world order for quite a while.

At present it's a fair bit more competitive than that. Ireland beat NZ for the 2nd time on the trot this spring. England almost got them in London. Scotland are ranked higher than 4 of the 6 in your no.2 grouping. The USA actually beat Scotland in the June Test window this year. Fiji are currently ranked higher than France. Japan have developed into a competitive team to play against as have the US. Add Georgia to that list. Hell, Russia put it to Japan who are capable of putting it to pretty much anyone in the Top 10.

There's a band of what can be considered Tier 1.5 teams emerging. Rapidly growing in regards to competitiveness. Watch for Spain, the Netherlands and Germany to join that group in the next few years. Could argue that Spain and Germany are either there or pretty damn close now.

Last edited:

Stallion

First Grade
It is a pointless thread when the name is a misnomer for a start! It should read "Another Pointless Dodgy code thread" or "Another Pointless Union thread" Take your pick.

Last edited:

Whatwhere

Juniors
Is it really though?

1. AB's

3. Argentina

4. Scotland, Italy

Bud, why can't others on this site be more like you. Someone unafraid to discuss a topic without resulting to slinging crap?

Stallion

First Grade
It doesn't seem to take all that much.

Lol. It's all perspective. :relaxed: When on a rugby league website appropriate respect for the code would be nice. However this is not so by a long shot. Some have the respect for the code others don't!

Force

Juniors
Lol. It's all perspective. :relaxed: When on a rugby league website appropriate respect for the code would be nice. However this is not so by a long shot. Some have the respect for the code others don't!
Thats one thing I dont like about some one-eyed supporters....they think constructive criticism is anti-league when its not. Like an alcoholic at an AA meeting, you first have to admit your faults and only then can you start on your journey to better ones self. How can one improve the game of league when some people get all defensive about others highlighting problems? Its got nothing to do with disrespecting the game, its all about improving it, otherwise we wouldn't be here.

Stallion

First Grade
Thats one thing I dont like about some one-eyed supporters....they think constructive criticism is anti-league when its not. Like an alcoholic at an AA meeting, you first have to admit your faults and only then can you start on your journey to better ones self. How can one improve the game of league when some people get all defensive about others highlighting problems? Its got nothing to do with disrespecting the game, its all about improving it, otherwise we wouldn't be here.

Thanks I think!? This is about improving the outlook toward rugby league. Hopefully some will acknowledge this.

Stavros

Bench
Tongan RL Est 1986 - Tongan RU Est 1923
Samoan RL Est 1986 - Samoan RL Est 1924
Fiji RL Est 1992 - Fiji RU Est 1913

If I were in charge of RU I would be very worried about RL in the pacific, give us another 20 years and union's domination in those countries will be over.
With all due respect Tito no players come from those countries. They dont even play internationals in those countries..
I wouldn't get too excited yet

Stavros

Bench
W
Play farkall internationals of any sport in those countries, so what's your point?
Well if the sport was popular in those countries the national teams would play in those countries. Rugby Union, Soccer, Volleyball, Netball dont have any problems playing internationals in those countries..
Do you get it yet? Or is that the answer you didn't want to hear?

ParraEelsNRL

Referee
Yeah in Union the all blacks, England, Australia, Scotland, Ireland, Wales, Italy, South Africa and co all go there, always have mate. Talk ya crap to other simpletons.

Tell me the last decent country in Soccer that touched any of those places with a 4000 mile barge pole?

Netball, smaller than RL.

Volleyball, do Brazil and any of the other places that take it seriously ever go to the Islands, have they even heard of them?

You carry on about being persecuted here, I wonder why when all you post is absolute trash with no truth nor substance.

Latest posts