What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumours and Stuff

Bazal

Post Whore
...or Schneider is ready to share the role. It really is the perfect scenario to have a quality spine player prepared to accept only a 2 year deal whilst our young guns are learning the ropes.

Yeah that too.

Basically I meant that even if you play two hookers, one really needs to be good enough to take the role full-time.

You don't really see a rotation of two rookies succeed.

And you certainly don't see a rotation that has Kaysa Pritchard and Will Smith involved succeed.

Obscene Assassin

First Grade
How is it a quick fix?

We have two young hookers, both very good potential, who aren't ready.

What do you propose we do? Use Pritchard and Smith, who are proven to be not up to standard?

Throw in two youngsters and potentially wreck them?

Or sign a quality player for two years, heavily front loaded with our free cap space, to bridge the gap between now and when Mahoney is ready to take the role full time?

There's also an article stating that we'll be announcing that Mahoney has extended until the end of 2020 and is in the Top 30 for this year. Looks like we'll give Mahoney and Schneider until then to see where we rank them.

strider

Post Whore
So we want to go into a season with a position that touches the ball more than any other player in the team with a rookie and a busted tampon as an alternative (Pritchard), a journeyman (Will Smith) and another rookie (Schneider).

I'm a big Mahoney fan but he needs assistance and I'd take Isaac Luke and I'm certain it will happen. Why go into a season nearly a million dollars under the cap when you received the spoon last year? It would be madness.
The biggest concern with Luke is his attitude .... he has had periods in his career where he is MIA .... we dont need more of that

strider

Post Whore
The biggest concern with Luke is his attitude .... he has had periods in his career where he is MIA .... we dont need more of that
Btw, im not against luke signing, just saying there is a risk .... but i think it is a necessary one and getting him on a 2yr deal would be good ... im guessing maybe the 2yrs is a sticking point. I reckon his manager would be pushing for more

Gary Gutful

Post Whore
I posted the stats already for hisn 2018. Go read them.
Have a look at his form over last 4 years rather then just 2018....
Saw those stats. Just thought there might be some more substance behind your thinking. Have also seen his form over the last 4 years - even an underperforming Luke is better than what we have.

Any signing is a risk of sorts and there is always the possibility that Luke could be a dud but I think the risk is low.

Adding some experience to the spine should be a priority. You were critical of our lack of composure in attack in the trial. Luke is a smart and effective No. 9 and he can greatly assist us in that area.

It appears as though we aren't selling the farm to get him and we also have space in the cap. Its a (low) risk worth taking imo.

84 Baby

Referee
https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/s...e/news-story/7dbb4f7623e3e4bfed4435362f119373

Parramatta Eels introduce spine meetings to overcome inexperience

Fatima Kdouh, The Daily Telegraph
an hour ago

Parramatta’s spine is out to prove that experience isn’t always better than youth.

Coach Brad Arthur will field one of the youngest spine combinations in the competition this year and he’s backing five-eighth Dylan Brown, 19, hooker Reed Mahoney, 20, halfback Mitchell Moses, 24, and fullback Clint Gutherson, 24, to help deliver the Eels’ second finals appearance since 2009.

To overcome any teething issues that might arise from such inexperience, Arthur has introduced weekly spine meetings where his playmakers can pick apart their performances.

The Eels will on Tuesday announce they have elevated Mahoney from a development contract to a full-time NRL deal and extended his tenure at Parramatta until the end of 2020.

Mahoney told The Daily Telegraph the catch-ups ensure everyone is comfortable with the game plan and their responsibilities as the key men in the side.

“The spine has been getting together to have a chat about what we are doing well, the things we can improve, the goals we need set for the game and see if we are meeting the standards we had set up for the week,” Mahoney said.

“That’s something we are introducing new to 2019. We’ve focused on having more genuine conversations to keep everyone accountable and that in turn brings out the best in everyone individually.”

Hooker Mahoney only has nine games under his belt and Brown, who will replace Corey Norman in the halves, that is yet to debut.

But Mahoney said any experience they lack at the NRL level is cancelled out by their close connection off the field.

The two youngsters both lived together as teenagers and are more than familiar with each other’s game having played in the same under 20s side.

“It’s not something we worry about at all. Dylan is one of my best mates and we lived together when were 17 for a few years in the Parra House. I’ve got all the trust in the world in him,” he said.

“People might think he will be under pressure but I don’t think that will be the case. I think Mitch is going to take over that side of things and let Dylan play his game of football.

“The relationship between the whole spine is pretty strong and he’s got everyone’s respect for what he has been doing at training.

“I can’t wait to go out and play alongside him.”

The Eels view Mahoney as a long-term option number nine and on Monday secured his services for a further two seasons.

There has been speculation that New Zealand Warriors hooker Issac Luke could be heading to Parramatta but at this stage the Western Sydney club is yet to have any formal discussions with Luke nor has an offer been made.

However, the Eels will seriously consider adding Luke to their roster in a bid to add some depth in that position but a move will only happen if the right price for Kiwi’s services can be negotiated.

Mahoney isn’t too concerned about any of the speculation and is confident about his spot and role in the side.

“It would be good to learn off him. He’s obviously done everything in the game. He’s played for his country and won premierships but I’m in the frame of mind of learning as much as I can from the old heads,” he said.

“We’ll have a chat about it if that ever does come around but at the moment I’m not too worried.”
Anyone still concerned about signing Luke, consider this - Moses and Gutho will be the ones otherwise running these meetings

Anyone still concerned about signing Luke, consider this - Moses and Gutho will be the ones otherwise running these meetings

I'd be more worried about the fact that a bloke's maths is so bad that he thinks you can live with some one 'for a couple of years' when you are 17.

Latest posts