What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

An Honest assessment of Todd Greenberg

How would you rate Greenbergs'

• Great for the game. A significant step up from his predecessors.

Votes: 5 6.9%
  • Nothing special. Done some things that are great for the game, and others not so good

Votes: 21 29.2%
  • Would have been better off with Dave Smith.

Votes: 34 47.2%
  • GTFO you sook

Votes: 12 16.7%

• Total voters

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
Someone desperately needs to take charge over grass roots footy and country footy.

It is disgraceful. Been an issue for 15 yrs or more and does not look like getting any better.

The AFL have infiltrated league areas and are getting stronger each year.

Old news I know but RL is both dumb and slow to act so it gets what it has now got.
I always see this generalisation but never the actual substance underneath.

What needs to change, who needs to take charge and what do they need to be doing that isn't being done now?

works for some clubs.
half price or even free tickets with clubs compensated by the nrl and I reckon the average attendance could almost be higher than weekend games.

Firstly "with clubs compensated by the nrl". So the NRL needs to divert funds which could be used elsewhere in the game (e.g. rep football, junior football) due to Monday night and Thursday night game? What an astute use of resources :rolleyes:

As to your assertion "I reckon the average attendance could almost be higher than weekend games", you are dead wrong. It has been proven that attendances at Thursday night and Monday night games were lower than if held on Friday thru Sunday. Fact is that is why the NRL compensate clubs for those games (which again disproves your assertion).

gUt

Coach
some of these are debatable.

6. Moving State of Origin out of their states of Origin on a yearly basis. - The purists might hate it but it's probably bringing a ton of additional revenue to the game by selling it to these cities.

7. Removing of Monday night games (No more football for 5 nights a week)... yeah, nah

8&11 - these are debatable rules the game was probably under a lot of pressure to bring in

9&12 - not sure how much he can be blamed for these. Crowds have been stagnant and viewership being down on FTA could be put down to ratings across all FTA TV decreasing. He should put more pressure on 9 to smarten up their coverage if anything.

Agree that officiating and the bunker has been an absolute debacle under Greenberg.

The Cam Smith, Inglis stuff... ehh whatever I don't really care about that stuff.

I don't dislike Greenberg as much as some. I think he has a genuine appreciation for the sport and tries his best. I prefer him to Gallop who I wouldn't trust as far as I could throw.

yep pretty much my thoughts. On balance he's been a good CEO. Non-Bulldogs Sydney fans tend to be more critical of him than seems fair.

The sock I wank into would make a better CEO than umm arrrrgh Gallop

mozza91

Coach
He’s terrible. Kowtows to the big clubs and doesn’t give a shit about the rest.

Comes across as an arrogant wanker aswell.

taipan

Referee
Even Ribot could do a better job. On borrowed time. SpaceX are looking for volunteers for a one way trip to Mars.

Meaning Mitchell Moses would become a household name in Beijing? And we'd have Andrew Voss speaking in Cantonese on Thursday nights?
Ribot should stay away ,the demolition derby that was SL was good for the fumbleballers.

Dogs Of War

Coach
Sorry but I vehemently disagree on that point. Monday night, and Thursday night football (for that matter) are terrible. They helped contribute to the drop in crowds as families won't go to them as the kids have to go to school the next day, nor will many adults as they have yo go to work. We do not need games on 5 days a week at all.

I don't mind that the games are on Thursday night. Just need to be earlier. Like 6:30pm start time. But channel 9 would never go for that.

Spot On

Coach
I always see this generalisation but never the actual substance underneath.

What needs to change, who needs to take charge and what do they need to be doing that isn't being done now?

A generalisation. FFS.

RL in Group 2 is pretty close to dead. Seniors and juniors.

If the Grafton senior teams are allowed to go back to group 1, Group 2 becomes a Saturday pub comp with a few teams.

Massive issue getting referees for senior games.

Junior teams having to travel to another group to get a game/play in a comp.

Coffs Harbour population of 75000 people but the Coffs Comets have numerous jnr age divisions with NO TEAMS.

Wake the f**k up.

Last edited:

Frailty

First Grade
A generalisation. FFS.

If the Grafton senior teams are allowed to go back to group 1, Group 2 becomes a Saturday pub comp with a few teams.

Wake the f**k up.

So in 2018 there was a 3.5% increase in Rugby League in Australia:
  • 29% increase of female participation, with that number being double since 2015.
  • More than 100,000 participants in NSW for the first time.
  • NSWRL experienced growth of 5.5%
  • CRL experienced growth of 5.4%
  • Queensland experienced growth of 1.82%
  • WA had a 16.% growth.
Wake the f**k up and realise grassroots is more than just anecdotal evidence of one region. If you want direct action in that region, what would you suggest the NRL do? They push recruitment of referees, and have attempted to reduce amount of abuse at the local grounds.

Timmah

Staff member
A generalisation. FFS.

Coffs Harbour population of 75000 people but the Coffs Comets have numerous jnr age divisions with NO TEAMS.

Wake the f**k up.
I asked a question, it didn't require abuse in reply.

What you've pointed out though, is anecdotal stories from one group. Just down the coast, Group 3 had enough in it's kitty to drop some 50k+ on bringing an NRL Trial to Port. So it's obviously not the case everywhere.

You've said what the issues are, but you've not actually answered my question:

>zuzu<

Juniors
Hi all

Loving the dialogue going on. I will clarify a few points:

• 7 tackle set was a reference to the 20 m tap with the additional tackle. I personally think it has been implemented poorly, and requires a lot of tweaking. I love the idea, in terms how of it could speed up the game. However, the logic of the implementation of this rule was to ensure players were not kicking the ball dead from 40+ meters out to take the fullback and wingers out of the game. So - if an attacking team knocks on in the in goal, in an effort to score a try - how does that play into the reasoning behind giving the team an additional tackle? Makes no sense to me.
  • Monday night games. Poor attendance, sure. I am just an out-and-out leagie, and loved having a game to watch 5/7 games a week. It also made Mondays much more bearable.
  • Moving State of Origin. I specified the year-on-year aspect because - well truly, it should be every second year we move a game, not every blood year. This will be the third year in a row where we have played at a neutral venue. Also, it should always be game 3. If you look at the 2018 series, for example, QLD lost the series before even playing at home. Not fair (and I am a NSW supporter).
Probably should have just listed points and opened his tenure up for debate, rather than cram opinions into buckets and channeling the conversation another way.

Either way - it would seem, judging by the polls, he is fairly divisive as a CEO.

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
So in 2018 there was a 3.5% increase in Rugby League in Australia:
  • 29% increase of female participation, with that number being double since 2015.
  • More than 100,000 participants in NSW for the first time.
  • NSWRL experienced growth of 5.5%
  • CRL experienced growth of 5.4%
  • Queensland experienced growth of 1.82%
  • WA had a 16.% growth.
Wake the f**k up and realise grassroots is more than just anecdotal evidence of one region. If you want direct action in that region, what would you suggest the NRL do? They push recruitment of referees, and have attempted to reduce amount of abuse at the local grounds.

source ?

Spot On

Coach
Lol.

Thank goodness for the girls, touch footy and any other dodgy numbers the NRL have included like any programs run in schools where students participate in a 30 min clinic but never register to play league.

Wake up Todd!

Reactions: Vee

shear_joy9

Coach
Firstly "with clubs compensated by the nrl". So the NRL needs to divert funds which could be used elsewhere in the game (e.g. rep football, junior football) due to Monday night and Thursday night game? What an astute use of resources :rolleyes:

As to your assertion "I reckon the average attendance could almost be higher than weekend games", you are dead wrong. It has been proven that attendances at Thursday night and Monday night games were lower than if held on Friday thru Sunday. Fact is that is why the NRL compensate clubs for those games (which again disproves your assertion).

Thursday and Monday night games add further value to broadcasters. I don't see any problem with the nrl using a small percentage of this added revenue to purchase all the tickets for these games and hand them out for free.

Lebbo73

Bench
He’s no visionary lol.
we’ve dropped further behind our main competitor in pretty much every KPI so it’s hard to say he’s done a great job. Ultra conservative and lacks any real ambition for the game. On the plus side he’s not done anything dire. He’s mostly, well, vanilla. Not terrible, not great.

when you consider how much money the game has had over the last 4 years of his stewardship (nearly $400million over the 4 years compared to the 3 years proceeding) its hard to say the game has come on in leaps and bounds with that much cash available to use.
VLandys (however you spell it) has already tried to shore up country rugby league with a number of initiatives and cash splurges. He’s pushing for a second Brissy team as well (has to happen). This second Brissy team has him at odds with Todd. I’m predicting that this will see Greenberg eventually walking. If not, VLandys will quit and the NRL will be all the poorer for it.

Springs09

Juniors
His rubbish attitude towards the international game and 'player welfare' and downturn of the international game since the last World Cup has me firmly in the 'GTFO you sook' camp.

Even the 'good' is mah - the TV deal included absolute rubbish scheduling that has impacted crowds, the NRLW is much smaller than it should be and 'increase in grassroots attendance' really? I'm very involved in grassroots footy and the NRL does next to f**k all. The local U16s comp here had only 2 sides that fielded full teams out of 9, and that's the grade that usually has the least trouble fielding sides.

Timmah

Staff member
Lol.

Thank goodness for the girls, touch footy and any other dodgy numbers the NRL have included like any programs run in schools where students participate in a 30 min clinic but never register to play league.

Wake up Todd!
This is f**king pissweak.

If you genuinely care about grassroots footy and regional footy as you've claimed before, then you're replying to at least one of us with some substance instead of this dismissive, generalised bullshit.

What do Groups 1 and 2 need and who can deliver it?

Frailty

First Grade
Lol.

Wake up Todd!

You realise those school programs are exactly how the AFL count as well, and that it's one of the criticisms of the NRL is that AFL have 'infiltrated the schools'.

But the stats quoted are from NSWRL, CRL, QRL, and WARL don't include these.

Oh btw Touch Australia didn't come on board until AFTER these stats.

Spot On

Coach
Sure do. NRL have copied the AFL's rigged participation numbers system.

No, I don't know the make up of the stats you came up with because they have not been broken down for us to view.

Please go ahead and provide them for us all though. We'd love to view them.

Last edited:

Spot On

Coach
This is f**king pissweak.

If you genuinely care about grassroots footy and regional footy as you've claimed before, then you're replying to at least one of us with some substance instead of this dismissive, generalised bullshit.

What do Groups 1 and 2 need and who can deliver it?

Ask that question of the people being paid to do that. Otherwise, why the f**k are they being paid????

What a weird view you have expecting people not employed by the game to fix its problems.

Why don't you fix it instead of asking others to do it???

Latest posts