What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Matt Dufty

since77

Juniors
I have a lot of time for Gus. I know many don't..

But I remember clear as day last season when the McGregor coaching situation flared up again for about the 137th time.. He said both on his podcast and on 100% Footy..

"Changing the coach won't solve the issues at the Dragons".

So far, he's proven right.
You are so wrong it’s hilarious. Huge difference already considering Hook inherited a basket case of club and roster. If McGregor was still coach I have no doubt we’re running last or 2nd last in 2021. Midway through the season Griffin has us in the 8. Is our position fragile and unconvincing? Sure, but way ahead of where we’d be with McGregor in charge and at least Hook is actively beginning the rebuild process regardless of whether we all agree with his plan. At least for the first time in 8 years there’s actually a plan. By the way, the guy you’re quoting - Phil Gould - how did that review of his for us work out?

we are in the top8 and have been since round 2...you cant call the last guy a coach - we have a real one now that has balls...

Lost more games than we've won... 6 wins 7 losses.

- This season our wins have been against woeful sides such as the Cowboys, Manly (at the time), Knights, Bulldogs, and Broncos. But a great win against Parra - the only side we've beaten who were above us on the table at the time.

- We've lost to the Sharks & Tigers Twice, bumbled to a loss against the Warriors - all below us on the table. We've been flogged by an under-manned Roosters & Storm (although down to 12 men).

- Lost 7 of our last 9 games... only wins against the last & second last teams on the comp.

- We get the last placed Dogs again this week. We've not had Penrith or Souths yet (top 4 teams)

Top 8 is an absolute mirage IMO if you're judging our true performance on this alone. We are only benefitting by the drop on performance of teams across the comp.

But if you feel this is improvement and it makes you happy - then good for you.

Illusion

Bench
All this hysteria re Duff would have died down if we were playing top 4 sides these next couple of weeks. Hardly inspiring to meet at a rally in front of St George Leagues Club after he has dropped bombs , let in tries galore and be as good positionally as Burke & Wills !
That goes for the whole team , don't just single out one player ....... How have our forwards gone over the last 7 games .....

You are so wrong it’s hilarious. Huge difference already considering Hook inherited a basket case of club and roster. If McGregor was still coach I have no doubt we’re running last or 2nd last in 2021. Midway through the season Griffin has us in the 8. Is our position fragile and unconvincing? Sure, but way ahead of where we’d be with McGregor in charge and at least Hook is actively beginning the rebuild process regardless of whether we all agree with his plan. At least for the first time in 8 years there’s actually a plan. By the way, the guy you’re quoting - Phil Gould - how did that review of his for us work out?

I'm not wrong, it's an opinion. Gus made one, I think he's right so far.

Your opinion (not fact) is we'd be worse under McGregor this season. Who's to know what the case really would be. Top 8 - see my post above to Mickey. Just my opinion.

Actively beginning "rebuilding" process... A plan.

How? Who has he signed?

- A bunch of old Broncos, A Panther in Burns we traded for Eddie Blacker, A Rooster forward off the bench. Jack Bird was a great signing - very happy with that. However we lost our captain to others under Griffin. Very unhappy with that.

- Who is he developing from the juniors that McGregor hadn't already gave a crack in first grade? Anyone juniors debut since Griffin arrived that are establishing themselves? Amone got a run - originally as 18th man, brilliant... others?

What is the Dragons rebuilding process exactly?

Our friends the Sharks have their rebuilding process on the move... they've culled a number of high profile players, signed our Captain McInnes, Signed Nicho Hynes, had a red hot crack at Reynolds.... and have money in the warchest to keep going.

Meanwhile what are we doing?

Yeah - I am quoting Phil Gould, a bloke who's done far more in the game than most, and with lightyears more insight into running successful football clubs than you (or I) will ever have. The bloke has coached clubs to premierships, won more SOO's than anyone for the blues, rebuilt the Roosters and developed coaches who have been / are in charge of NRL teams (eg Cleary, Stuart, Cartwright, Flanagan. Pay), and went to the Panthers when they were almost Bankrupt - cleaned the joint out, and helped rebuild that club who are now leading the comp. The bloke knows what success looks like.

Out of his review he said the problem with the dragons didn't just lie with the coach - changing the coach won't solve everything. And i think he's right so far.

This was all before Griffin was signed. We couldn't get Fitzgibbon interested - a former player of ours now gone to the Sharks - I wonder why...

We ended up with a guy who's been sacked twice by his former clubs. Our only other options were other guys who'd been sacked, and Dean Young who was basically born into the club.

The problem wasn't just Paul McGregor. And I don't now suggest it's just Griffin. It goes far above that...

mickeylane

Bench

Your opinion (not fact) is we'd be worse under McGregor this season. Who's to know what the case really would be. Top 8 - see my post above to Mickey. Just my opinion.

How? Who has he signed?

- A bunch of old Broncos, A Panther in Burns we traded for Eddie Blacker, A Rooster forward off the bench. Jack Bird was a great signing - very happy with that. However we lost our captain to others under Griffin. Very unhappy with that.

- Who is he developing from the juniors that McGregor hadn't already gave a crack in first grade? Anyone juniors debut since Griffin arrived that are establishing themselves? Amone got a run - originally as 18th man, brilliant... others?

Our friends the Sharks have their rebuilding process on the move... they've culled a number of high profile players, signed our Captain McInnes, Signed Nicho Hynes, had a red hot crack at Reynolds.... and have money in the warchest to keep going.

Yeah - I am quoting Phil Gould, a bloke who's done far more in the game than most, and with lightyears more insight into running successful football clubs than you (or I) will ever have. The bloke has coached clubs to premierships, won more SOO's than anyone for the blues, rebuilt the Roosters and developed coaches who have been / are in charge of NRL teams (eg Cleary, Stuart, Cartwright, Flanagan. Pay), and went to the Panthers when they were almost Bankrupt - cleaned the joint out, and helped rebuild that club who are now leading the comp. The bloke knows what success looks like.

Out of his review he said the problem with the dragons didn't just lie with the coach - changing the coach won't solve everything. And i think he's right so far.

This was all before Griffin was signed. We couldn't get Fitzgibbon interested - a former player of ours now gone to the Sharks - I wonder why...

We ended up with a guy who's been sacked twice by his former clubs. Our only other options were other guys who'd been sacked, and Dean Young who was basically born into the club.

The problem wasn't just Paul McGregor. And I don't now suggest it's just Griffin. It goes far above that...
thanks Paul...nice summary...

LINESPEED

Juniors

How? Who has he signed?

The unaccountable & incompetent Chairman/Board are at the heart of our Club’s woes.

Gould saw this straight up.

We will not attract quality coaches or elite players because of the well known buffoonery, recalcitrance, error-ridden selfserving stupidity and control fetishes of our Board.

The on-the-cheap tow-the-line journeyman addiction vice is on full lamentable display.

And we live in Godot’s world where no one
is coming

... while ever we suffer the ‘culture’ of the current owners & Board

.... and FFS Hook’s own vindictive recalcitrant streak is steadily setting himself up for failure, humiliation & fan acrimony

- which will suit The Prodigal just fine.

FMD mate

Turns out Gould
(& others unfortunately)
was right about you as well.

So much goodwill so insanely and so rapidly forfeited

... all to prove some nebulous point?

Duff may go,
but you will now follow
soon enough
Anthony my boy

And the experts across the NRL are quite stumped & incredulous at your stupidity

since77

Juniors

How? Who has he signed?

I’m not necessarily agreeing with Griffin’s decisions. Some I do, some I don’t. For me I’ll judge him at season’s end. But the problem for the last several seasons was ALL McGregor (and shame on the board for failing to sack him years ago). This time last year we were already out of finals contention. And going backwards. This year we’re still in the mix for finals. Will we be cannon fodder if we make it? Probably. But a noticeable improvement on last year. And this was always a rebuild year. There is no way in hell we are in the same position so far in 2021 if McGregor is coach. And as for Gould, anyone who suggested McGregor wasn’t the problem here deserves nothing but scorn and ridicule. Also when you suggest coaches who have been sacked in the past aren’t worth considering, that would mean Bennett, Hasler, Cleary amongst others aren’t viable coaching options anymore. Griffin’s last job he was victim of a power play by Gould who ironically was soon turfed by the same club once they realised that perhaps he was the actual issue. Gould has zero credibility in the current game. Just ask the Warriors how they’re feeling about him after he recently considered ditching them in year 1 to head to Canterbury.

Lovemedragons

Juniors
It’s kind of amusing to me that the Dufty bashers were saying nobody would want him and he’d end up in ESL etc.
Now the Raiders are looking to sign him on a 3 year deal as their first fullback and shift CNK to the centres if reports are accurate. They feel CNK is solid in defence but lacks the speed of the top fullbacks like Papa, Turbo.
I really hope we go with a speedy fullback to replace Duff, I don’t want another Dugan type who was staunch in defence and bringing the ball back but not much else.
I'd be happy with a swap of CNK and Dufty but that won't happen.

Forbes Creek Dragons

First Grade
Further to @blacksafake 's post earlier - Interesting read. And if indeed the issues mentioned here are correct.... how the hell is he gonna survive in Canberra under Ricky??

He'll need to take some pretty heavy-duty ear muffs so he doesn't get too upset..

"The Big Sports Breakfast panel — like many people in the NRL world — struggled to understand why the Dragons are willing to let Dufty go. Especially after his two-try, five try-assist performance against the Broncos on Thursday.

Weidler revealed that it could have something to do with his attitude.

“I’ve been making a lot of calls about it and the best reason I can get — this is not my opinion, it’s what I’m being told — is that Matt Dufty doesn’t necessarily take criticism well from a coach,” he said.

“I think if that’s the reason he’s being let go or not wanted by the Dragons, I’d be persisting with him if I was the Dragons. I’d trying to get the best out of him, I’d be sitting him down and helping him work through that.

“That may even be a slightly old criticism of him and maybe he has been working on that. I find it quite fascinating that they’ve let what I think is their best attacking weapon go.”
Ricky will give him a cuddle.

Yow

Juniors
I am a Dufty fan on his great attacking plays but at times he doesnt commit enough in cleaning up loose balls and following across in defence. Also last year the Scum never beat a top 8 side but made the semis did their fans whinge about that? We were by the experts to get the spoon so be happy that we are in the 8 at the moment and have probably had more injuries and suspensions than most clubs .i have been a Dragon supporter for 59 years and never ever thought about giving them away GO THE SAINTS

Dragonslayer

First Grade
As the saying goes "you can only beat what's put in front of you!"

We lost to the Tigers twice, yes, but, they also beat the Panthers to end their winning streak. So, where does that leave the Panthers?

Dragsters

First Grade
As the saying goes "you can only beat what's put in front of you!"

We lost to the Tigers twice, yes, but, they also beat the Panthers to end their winning streak. So, where does that leave the Panthers?

Um, without 6 of their best players I think?

Willow

Assistant Moderator
It’s kind of amusing to me that the Dufty bashers were saying nobody would want him and he’d end up in ESL etc.
Now the Raiders are looking to sign him on a 3 year deal as their first fullback and shift CNK to the centres if reports are accurate. They feel CNK is solid in defence but lacks the speed of the top fullbacks like Papa, Turbo.
I really hope we go with a speedy fullback to replace Duff, I don’t want another Dugan type who was staunch in defence and bringing the ball back but not much else.
Canberra also reportedly saying price wise that Dufty will be 'good value'.

Doesn't sound like he is asking for too much money. Still waiting to be corrected.

redandwhite4evr

Juniors

How? Who has he signed?

Yes-above and straight to the people who inexplicably extended Mary's contract-the Board-now complicit with Haran and Millward in ensuring our recruitment and retention of the best talent around is just as abysmal as that terrible decision.

I can't believe that knowing Dufty was on the outer, the club didn't at least pursue Nicho Hynes - and hard- as our 2022 full-back. This might at least have united us behind a player I rate as a better all round player than Dufty.
As it is, we are in a state of civil war. No good- across a range of criteria (memberships, sponsorship, attendances etc) can come from the turbulence that's tearing apart this great club.

Old Timer

Coach
Why do some people think Hook is “dead set” against retaining Dufty

You don’t know what efforts have been made to get to an understanding and the simple fact could be that after the inability of either side to give ground as to what is acceptable to them it was agreed that it is in everyone’s best interests to part company.

The club and coach are allowed to say “no” and it is not entirely their fault if agreements can’t be concluded.

It is not incumbent on the club to acquiesce to players demands regardless of how good the highlights real looks.

It is us the fans that have unrealistic expectations due to us falling in love with certain players.

Willow

Assistant Moderator

You don’t know what efforts have been made to get to an understanding and the simple fact could be that after the inability of either side to give ground as to what is acceptable to them it was agreed that it is in everyone’s best interests to part company.

The club and coach are allowed to say “no” and it is not entirely their fault if agreements can’t be concluded.

It is not incumbent on the club to acquiesce to players demands regardless of how good the highlights real looks.

It is us the fans that have unrealistic expectations due to us falling in love with certain players.
I agree certain people think they know the reasons.

And certain people death ride certain players.

I'm not aware of certain people 'falling in love' with certain players. That certainly sounds like an assumption.

boardlumps62

Juniors

Hook is the coach he picks Duff in the team each week why? You tell me coach why do you pick The Duff each week.

Latest posts