What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumours and Stuff

T-Boon

Coach
Just that, given their statures in the club, their outputs, and their respective salaries, that come the next review of their deal, we may not offer up what Moses wants to get.

It's all speculative.

Moses is a more talented player than Gutherson, but Gutherson is our captain, and sells more merchandise that anyone else at the club...

BTW my contact is a mate of mine who manages a few NRL players, so nothing is set in stone.

That logic isn't good.
Moses is easily the best half back we have had since Sterling and it is a position that is very difficult to come up with even competent players. Whereas we have had a multitude of more than good enough fullbacks in the last 15 years. It is pretty easy to get good fullback play.
Gutherson is just very replaceable whereas Moses is not. I would pay overs for Moses.

yy_cheng

Coach
That logic isn't good.
Moses is easily the best half back we have had since Sterling and it is a position that is very difficult to come up with even competent players. Whereas we have had a multitude of more than good enough fullbacks in the last 15 years. It is pretty easy to get good fullback play.
Gutherson is just very replaceable whereas Moses is not. I would pay overs for Moses.
And i'm guessing here but Moses is probably on less than what he could get on the open market. I'm sure a team would fork out more than what we offer him...

6. Burton
7. Moses

9. Rheed

Stevie

Bench
I’m sorry but if we lose Moses or Brown after losing Mahoney and paying overs for Guth it’s a f**k up of epic proportions. They have the ability to be one of the best halves combos in the entire comp. Pou Will Dribble shit and tell us we can’t keep them just because.

Losing Mahoney was bad but I can cop it if we keep our halves but if we lose one or either of them the drought will continue for years on end without even looking like getting close. Guth was easily the most replaceable out of our spine I don’t care how hard he tries or how many jerseys or merch he sells.
Why are you panicking already? Ffs just enjoy the season.

hineyrulz

Post Whore
Why are you panicking already? Ffs just enjoy the season.
It’s what I do FFS!!!

fire cooking GIF by Great Big Story

Eelementary

Post Whore
And how is that working for Souths ffs. Walker can't even throw a decent pass now without his mate besides him.

Unless you have a better option, you NEVER let quality halves go. Period. Everyone else goes before Moses in my book of footy recruitment and retention.

Don't shoot the messenger, ffs!

And I agree.

I'm just stating a conversation I had with a mate.

Eelementary

Post Whore
That logic isn't good.

I agree that Moses is just much harder to replace.

I don't agree that Gutherson is "very replaceable".

And stop shooting the messenger, ffs!

Eelementary

Post Whore
And i'm guessing here but Moses is probably on less than what he could get on the open market. I'm sure a team would fork out more than what we offer him...

6. Burton
7. Moses

9. Rheed

Well, that's part of the problem - Moses has been in great form; when his contract expires, he will command big money (if Brooks can get $1 million, Moses is a shoe-in for much more), and the focus from the retention team shifts to what we are willing to pay to retain him.

According to what my mate was saying - who has had dealings with O'Neil -, we will never go over a certain amount for what we believe players are worth (which we've seen already).

I'm just a messenger - but this shouldn't really be that shocking to anyone...

Gazzamatta

Coach
Well, that's part of the problem - Moses has been in great form; when his contract expires, he will command big money (if Brooks can get $1 million, Moses is a shoe-in for much more), and the focus from the retention team shifts to what we are willing to pay to retain him.

According to what my mate was saying - who has had dealings with O'Neil -, we will never go over a certain amount for what we believe players are worth (which we've seen already).

I'm just a messenger - but this shouldn't really be that shocking to anyone...
I guess this is making no allowance for salary cap increases? It also assumes MON will still be at Parra. Whats your mates opinion of MON? He appears to be doing ok. Hes even talking up BA now days. Looks like they do get along.

T-Boon

Coach
I bet if there is speculation to the effect that we wouldn't get into a bidding war for Moses it is probably based on thinking within the club (pushed by BA) that Jake Arthur is a legit talent and so we dont need to worry at that position.
Jake Arthur is not a legit talent. It is way more likely that he is just a product of nepotism than that he has anything up his sleeve that we haven't seen from him yet. He is way off the pace.

Eelementary

Post Whore
I guess this is making no allowance for salary cap increases? It also assumes MON will still be at Parra. Whats your mates opinion of MON? He appears to be doing ok. Hes even talking up BA now days. Looks like they do get along.

He likes him as an operator, as he is clear cut in what he wants; but he finds him hard to deal with, because he won't budge from the figure he has in mind.

Eelementary

Post Whore
I bet if there is speculation to the effect that we wouldn't get into a bidding war for Moses it is probably based on thinking within the club (pushed by BA) that Jake Arthur is a legit talent and so we dont need to worry at that position.
Jake Arthur is not a legit talent. It is way more likely that he is just a product of nepotism than that he has anything up his sleeve that we haven't seen from him yet. He is way off the pace.

I've been told that we rate Dantoray Lui a better long-term half option, than Jake - Jake is playing in the halves now, t get his NRL experience, but once he fills out his body, he will likely end up an edge forward...

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Pou is just waiting for the chance to pick apart his game and his character flaws.
No he's awesome. Easily our most important player, at least on the field. He would be very hard to replace, which is why we might pay overs to keep him. He will get offers of $1.2M+ from the likes of the Dragons. Maybe even the Tigers. How much less would he take to stay at Parra? The answer is we'll never know, but if the club looks like it's prioritising cap space over keeping every single off contract first grader, Moses could be a big part of why.

Gazzamatta

Coach
I've been told that we rate Dantoray Lui a better long-term half option, than Jake - Jake is playing in the halves now, t get his NRL experience, but once he fills out his body, he will likely end up an edge forward...
I note Dantoray didnt play yesterday.
So we are playing a kid, JA, who has no future in the halves, to get experience in NRL for a position he has never played? If thats the case it opens up the coach to all sorts of criticism.

Gronk

Staff member
My tip was super league, but yeah anyone who thinks that Jake is in the clubs long term plans is kidding themselves. In fact I reckon that Jake will revert to a development contract in 2023.

Latest posts