What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Junior Amone

possm

Coach
Leaving the Amone legal matter alone. Amone played solid football last year with a couple of class moments. I think he lacks that bit of speed and dash like Cody Walker and Luai possess. Let’s see how Jayden Sullivan goes if given the opportunity.

Moses Mybe is not a boggy man. Whenever he has to step up he plays well without being outstanding in multiple positions.

Yes Aaron Woods best days are behind him, however again he is a sensible bloke who appears to always give his best. Also, get a kick out of his son with the water bottle and dragons jersey on celebrating on dads shoulders.
Maybe the Tigers will have enough cash now to sign Woods.

No need to thank me Silverdale, happy to debate just for the hell of it.
A clause that allows the club to sack the player simply on the basis of a police charge, even if it turns out to be unfounded, would seem a little unreasonable. If I was a player agent, I don't think I'd be advising my client to sign that, but I'm not an expert so maybe he did?
Regarding bail, there's a lot about this case that disturbs me as well. However for a first offence, with his high profile, I would have been amazed if he'd been refused bail, particularly given the time it takes for the legal process to play out.
Well I think the clause could be worded in such a fashion as to permit a series of manner of form eventually arriving at a discretion for the club, the exercise of which would be a non paid stand down.

Confine the charge to an indictable offence and the player, wide eyed and considering he would not find himself in such serious trouble would sign away.

Otherwise the club can argue with said youngster that surely he would not contemplate being involved in such trouble and if he did, well he’s not a fit and proper person to play for sgi anyway.

I have not seen the contract so I could not shed any light on its terms. I’m just saying it’s possible to tie these things in without the catastrophic ramifications for the club you envisage.

As you correctly state, delay to hearing is a factor the court can and should consider. But in my view, the seriousness of the allegations and strength of the Police case overcomes this issue.

First offence doesn’t cut it for mine. It’s not a shoplift or jaywalk! It’s too serious. We don’t let first offence alleged murderers out!

High profile? So was Jimmy Saville and Rolf! That’s not in the Bail Act! We can’t judge people on their celebrity.

Those are my submissions.

In all of this spare a thought for his mother who now has a son and husband to worry about over Christmas.
I'm presuming there is a mother in his life.
Doesn't matter what your kids do, the thought of them going to jail is scary.
That’s right but I think mum has every right to be furious with them.

Junior was looking really promising, I based his expected losses on average cap but more than likely he may have exceeded that. Tpa’s and so forth. Plus an esl or Union payday option.

Maybe $3.5m over an 8 year career, gone up in smoke. That’s an incredible cost to his family and close friends.

Instead some other youngster/s and their family are going to benefit from Juniors bizarre conduct by taking his place in the squad later. Strange and incredible twist of fate.

Those innocent Amones, family etc, probably very nice people, completely smashed. Terrible.

Christian people but this would test anyones faith.

Last edited:

SBD82

Coach
I take your point and I thank you for it.

But if the contract between the club and the player stated that that the club could stand him down on the basis of a Police Charge without any liability or adverse consequence to the club thereafter- if he agreed to that, then he could be cactus.

If the club has missed that or like clause, they might consider it for next time.

Bail concerns:

Just for our intrepid bail commenders, with respect, cops and court prosecutors oppose bail every day and all the time and they don’t care about court time.

They have satisfied themselves Amone is not a risk though. I find that bizarre and extraordinary.

The magistrate is not bound by the defence or cops joint position on bail.

They put a billion conditions on him, but the seriousness of the allegations disturbs me.

They tried to hurt the victim, he could have been easily killed, they were in company, one had a weapon close to lethal capabilities, that disturbs me.

It’s academic now and I am a wokey civil rights advocate so far as law is concerned, but I probably would not have granted him bail.

He could then take the matter up with the Supreme Court.

But not on my watch. Hes flipped out and he’s very dangerous.

People can disagree, I won’t lose any sleep over it.
Why do you write such long winded posts about bail when you clearly know f**k all about it?

Draginzaaar

Bench
Yes but when there is an ongoing court matter they will almost always wait for a guilty verdict before doing so. The reason being, if a not guilty verdict is handed down and they have already torn up the contract, they are then liable for the contract without having the player. Big hole in salary cap.
They didn't pay out Vaughan when he was sacked.