What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Match Discussion: Round 7 vs Penrith @ McDonald Jones Stadium, New Lambton / Awabakal

Who will win? Round 7: Newcastle v Penrith

• Newcastle Knights 13+

Votes: 2 40.0%
  • Newcastle Knights 1-12

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Draw after Golden Point

• Penrith Panthers 1-12

• Penrith Panthers 13+

Votes: 3 60.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

perverse

Referee
Mann added a lot off the bench through the middle third of the field with his speed and leg drive. I can warm to him if he keeps that up.
Honestly, I think any keen fresh body could have provided the same. We just needed those fresh legs and energy out there, and he brought it.

Speaking of keen though, is Hetherington happy to be here? Need more from him, we're well into the season now.

Woosh

Head Moderator
Moronic from senior player. Tell him he's a clown for me

Happens a million times a game.
In the same game

Referee Peter Gough sin-binned Panthers forward Spencer Leniu after the Knights’ Tyson Gamble went to the deck in backplay.
But he was shocked when Gough gave him his marching orders, screaming: “What for? What the f**k was that for?”

Jono078

Referee
This game was a good example of why we lead the NRL in tackles. We shoot ourselves in the foot and give the opposition mare shots at us than we have at them, and in turn what you get is all the players out on their feet at the end of the game.

We need to add some smarts to go along with our recent efforts and then we'll be a truly tough team to beat.

I also have my concerns about how Ponga fits back in. I have no doubt he'd be eager to get back out there and add what he can. I do think there's a high possibility of him trying to force things though and us looking disjointed. He almost needs to take a page from Gamble's book and just be a link man/distributer and only use his flashy skills if something really presents itself. We might see the return of the Fitz crash ball next week, so get some $$ on him to score a try.

Not only does Ponga bring his skill, but he brings his voice and captaincy back. How does the team react to that voice when so many have had to step up and work as a team over the past month. Either way next week is going to be interesting on so many levels.

EDIT: Also curious to know what happened with Hetherington? Considering we had a busted Saifiti, why doesn't Hetherington get more minutes?

Allstar Knights

Juniors
Honestly, I think any keen fresh body could have provided the same. We just needed those fresh legs and energy out there, and he brought it.

Speaking of keen though, is Hetherington happy to be here? Need more from him, we're well into the season now.
Yeah, Hetherinton has one good run in him then goes missing. We aren't getting much from him at all.

Hopefully no injuries.
DSaf and Friz might be issues.
Jsaf back next week. I reckon start Thomson and run Jsaf off the bench.

mozza91

Coach
Great 1st half and a f**king dumb 2nd half.

The defensive effort was pleasing though. We’re a thousand times better than we were last year in that department.

What was the Knights half/Penrith full paying? Looked like Miller and Johns had a piece of it.

Yosh

Coach
I think Hastings isn't going to let Ponga just breeze his way back into the team. He is going to be the most vocal player out there anyway and will lead the side around regardless.

If I'm Gamble, I would be filthy if Ponga came back and got to keep the 6 jersey if he wasn't adding value. Gamble needs to be in the 17 but I don't know if we can afford to carry both Mann and Gamble.

Latest posts