What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Nick Livermore speaks gibberish about expansion

Wb1234

Referee
They have tried several times to get RL started in London and it hasn’t worked out ..

Name me one place in the Western World in the last 75 years where one football code has replaced another as the most popular sport or even as a credible competitor ..,
It doesn’t happen…regardless of the spend …how much more money the AFL pumping into Western Sydney to be ignored? More than what the NRL is prepared to spend in Perth… that’s for sure
Soccer in the north of England (especially in Yorkshire)

mongoose

Coach
They have tried several times to get RL started in London and it hasn’t worked out ..

Name me one place in the Western World in the last 75 years where one football code has replaced another as the most popular sport or even as a credible competitor ..,
It doesn’t happen…regardless of the spend …how much more money the AFL pumping into Western Sydney to be ignored? More than what the NRL is prepared to spend in Perth… that’s for sure
Who said anything about replacing another code as most popular? Do you think this is what the NRL expanding to Perth, NZ, Melbourne is trying to do? lol Imagine if GyG didn't want to expand anywhere cause they would never be as popular as Mcdonalds.

BuffaloRules

Coach
Who said anything about replacing another code as most popular? Do you think this is what the NRL expanding to Perth, NZ, Melbourne is trying to do? lol Imagine if GyG didn't want to expand anywhere cause they would never be as popular as Mcdonalds.
Did you miss the part where I said I want them to expand to Perth?

I just don’t think it will have much affect in TV ratings or juniors in Perth when they get an NRL team

Perth Red would have us believe otherwise

Last edited:

Wb1234

Referee
Expand please .. Leeds United has always been massive in that period…let alone Manchester, Liverpool etc
1900 Manchester was a rugby city

so was much of the north and especially Yorkshire

soccer slowly took over with clubs like Bradford and Leeds playing in the fa cup

BuffaloRules

Coach
1900 Manchester was a rugby city

so was much of the north and especially Yorkshire

soccer slowly took over with clubs like Bradford and Leeds playing in the fa cup

75 years is 1950 … soccer was established as the premier game by then in the north

Wb1234

Referee
Who were the RL teams in Liverpool and Manchester in 1950s … the biggest cities in the north ? competing with their soccer teams winning first division titles ?
They aren’t the only places in the north are they ?
But sure liverpool and Manchester had been taken over then

BuffaloRules

Coach
They aren’t the only places in the north are they ?
But sure liverpool and Manchester had been taken over then

Who are you saying are the RL teams that were bigger ? And before you answer Wigan and Bradford .. have a look at the populations

Perth Red

Post Whore
Are you against a third Brisbane team because you care about developing the game in Adelaide or Perth?

Or are you doing so because the Brisbane Tigers are a legitimate threat to Perth getting the 18th licence?

We all know if it comes down to financial stability then the ARLC will choose the Brisbane Tigers over Perth. Ch9 have already stated they want a fifth team in Queensland because it's a parochial market that draws solid ratings.

I'm convinced News Ltd will prefer the Brisbane Tigers over a Perth team because the company has a strong stake in the Brisbane print media.

A third team can generate more content for The Courier Mail. It'll be similar to what the nine Sydney clubs do for The Daily Telegraph.

Does News Ltd have a stake in the Perth print media?

I found this:

News Corp Australia's trusted News Metro Network includes The Daily Telegraph, Herald Sun, The Courier-Mail and The Advertiser that run seven days a week across New South Wales, Victoria, Queensland and South Australia.​

Ch9 also have a stake in the print media since they bought Fairfax.

It's not my job as a BRL fan to sacrifice the 100 year plus history of my city's clubs to appease the tiny rugby league community In Adelaide and Perth.

Would you give up your English club to appease a few hundred people in London?

Calling RL fans in Brisbane selfish because they won't gift Perth a team won't get them on your side. If you want Perth to have a team then work with the NSWRL and QRL to secure one of the next three licences.

I'm all for Perth having a team, for the record. It has enough interstate migrants and the nucleus of a domestic scene to develop into something valuable. Adelaide does not.

I don't agree with restricting rugby league mad Brisbane to just two teams so we can expand into markets thet cannot support a club nor want one. Perth is the beggar looking for a seat at the table with the big boys. It needs to know its place and stop biting the hand it will rely on for survival. What you're arguing for is affirmative action to give lesser qualified minorities a spot ahead of experienced professionals who have an outstanding portfolio.

There's nothing preventing rugby league fans in Perth from supporting the NRLWA Clubs.
I’m not against brisbane 3 per se, just not now. It’s not a priority for expanding and growing the game, imo. Perth, nz2 and even adleaide provide better options for growing new markets and fanbases than adding to an already well serviced brisbane.

woudl I give up my club? No, I followed them through relegation to the second and throw divisions. I didnt drop them because they were no longer in the top divsison.
Would I accept that my club wouldnt get a license in SL if there were big cities with tens of thousands of fans and a decent grassroots scene without a club? yeh I could live with that If HKR were weaker than 11 other clubs. That would be on us.

I do support my local nrlwa club, go north beach! But for the future of the sport both here in WA and across Australia we need to cast off the shackles of our two city handcuffs and pokie den reliance. Time for the game to grow up again. We don’t need brisbane3, we do need perth, nz2 and possibly Adelaide

Perth Red

Post Whore

There’s a stack of examples of sports carving out sustainable markets in professional comps in cities where they haven’t had professional clubs previously. Las Vegas raiders being one of the most recent. The fallacy seems to be that no one in these cities supports rugby league now, that’s simply untrue. The conversion then of non rugby league followers into future fans is a generational thing. Look at a rams in Adelaide. No real following of the game yet their brief existence drew some very healthy attendances.

gws isnt anything like an nrl perth club will be. It’s a false eloquence to even talk about the two scenarios in the same breath.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Did you miss the part where I said I want them to expand to Perth?

I just don’t think it will have much affect in TV ratings or juniors in Perth when they get an NRL team

Perth Red would have us believe otherwise
Last time game was on a high here we had 10k players in a city of 1mill. We now have 4k in a city of 2.3mill. Why dont you think our jnrs will increase with the massive boost a perth nrl club will offer?

tv will be a much slower burn. We don’t actually know our tv figures as we do t see the fox/kayo breakdown. It’s impossible to know how,
many are currently watching nrl on tv in perth.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Ok..

Let’s put Bradford then in the column that has had their main sport of RL in the last 75 years replaced by soccer

Anywhere else in the Western World?
Hull. Soccer was king in first decades of 1900’s by the end of century rugby league had taken over as the number one sport.

in usa arguably nfl has taken over in most cities from baseball as the number 1 comp.

50 years ago no one was playing basketball. Today it’s one of the biggest jnr participation sports across the world.

there’s plenty of examples if you look.