What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

In Fitzy We Trust

bluefox68

Staff member
This whole narrative that “Fitzy is a bad coach” is rubbish.

I honestly believe that the NRL is made up of favoured teams and ‘non-favoured teams’.

However, we can still be a force despite the obstacles.

We just need a few tweaks and another quality signing would be great.

1. Move Talakai back to the forwardsProbably could shed some weight.

2. Hope that Dykes or Mulitalo can play left centre and bring Stonestreet on to wing.

3. Find a dominant front-rower.

4. Hope that Wilton improves as he gets more games.

Weaponhead

Coach

I honestly believe that the NRL is made up of favoured teams and ‘non-favoured teams’.

2. Hope that Dykes or Mulitalo can play left centre and bring Stonestreet on to wing.

Bluey, 2 of your 4 tweaks begin with the word 'hope'. The coach will be doing a lot more than hoping.

bluefox68

Staff member
You don’t think Nikora got better?

How about Williams?

Brailey was better even though we want more

Kennedy was far better

Hazelton went from one game to being a regular

Hunt finished much better than any games he had last year imo

yeah some didn’t improve and can name a few but to suggest none improved isn’t correct.
Agree - even Hiroti improved!!!

Special K

Coach

How about Williams?

Kennedy was far better

yeah some didn’t improve and can name a few but to suggest none improved isn’t correct.
I love Fitz as a coach.

I think Brailey had a better 23 than 22. I think Williams did. Hazleton sure.

Kennedy, no. Hunt, no. Nikora, no.

I think Ronaldo went backwards. I think Katoa/Raimen was the same. I think BHU went backwards. I think Wilton went backwards. Graham was better in the last 5 weeks than he has been the last 3 years. McInnes is who he is every year. I think Dale went backwards. Nicho went backwards. Moylan went really backwards. Trindalls best game for us was vs the storm last year. Toby went backwards. Colquhoun went backwards. Tracey you could say improved but I think that was him being better suited to FB than centre as his centre stuff wasn't great.

Momentum is crazy. We had zero this year. Injuries, byes and expectations took a toll on us. The core can be better. I back Fitz to get it out of them. The thing is there isn't going to be panic and like it or not Fitz is here for years and he can't f**ken stand losing. BHU/Williams/Toby are off contract for 25 soon. I fkn hate this current transfer system as it is impossible to get a sugar hit and fix issues. We have 2-3 spots open if we can move Moylan on which I suspect we will. We won't be getting some big name so it will need to be a youngster. We need aggression in the middle and creativity/speed.

The thing I keep going back to is we need an alpha. Our pack hasn't had one Gal retired and our spine (insert Moylan or Trindall) are quiet outside of Nicho. WK or Tracey who gives a shit. I'd be backing the truck up to get Reece Walsh as impossible as that seems for 25.

Tiger Shark

Bench
I love Fitz as a coach.

I think Ronaldo went backwards. I think Katoa/Raimen was the same. I think BHU went backwards. I think Wilton went backwards. Graham was better in the last 5 weeks than he has been the last 3 years. McInnes is who he is every year. I think Dale went backwards. Nicho went backwards. Moylan went really backwards. Trindalls best game for us was vs the storm last year. Toby went backwards. Colquhoun went backwards. Tracey you could say improved but I think that was him being better suited to FB than centre as his centre stuff wasn't great.

Momentum is crazy. We had zero this year. Injuries, byes and expectations took a toll on us. The core can be better. I back Fitz to get it out of them. The thing is there isn't going to be panic and like it or not Fitz is here for years and he can't f**ken stand losing. BHU/Williams/Toby are off contract for 25 soon. I fkn hate this current transfer system as it is impossible to get a sugar hit and fix issues. We have 2-3 spots open if we can move Moylan on which I suspect we will. We won't be getting some big name so it will need to be a youngster. We need aggression in the middle and creativity/speed.

The thing I keep going back to is we need an alpha. Our pack hasn't had one Gal retired and our spine (insert Moylan or Trindall) are quiet outside of Nicho. WK or Tracey who gives a shit. I'd be backing the truck up to get Reece Walsh as impossible as that seems for 25.
Crazy you don’t think Kennedy or Nikora improved.

Mr Angry

Not a Referee
Just to preface, I enjoy the questions, I am not having a go at you.

My answers are more for coach

No, but No worse either, Briton is and has been a world class, elite backrower since 2019, ask Cronk. I would suggest he combo with Shaun was better, but Briton is just elite. I have no complaint here on coach.

How about Williams?
Well, yeah ok, Jack has gone from below average, to serviceable bench player this season. I still have no idea what you lot see in him, did you watch the semi final, he is not a rookie, offers little.
Cannot agree here, was far better in 2002, very solid both years, but did less 2023 and saved his worst performance for the semi, seemed stronger in defence, two steps back in attack.
Kennedy was far better
I thought he was same, I still have concerns about his voice in running the defence in general. Also his one on one stuff.

Both 2022 and 2023 he was great in attack.
Yeah got a run Run due to injury, or would still be a Jet, credit for giving him a go. Better than Willaims already.
Should have been starting 8 all year, was held back, How good was he last game. Toby 8...pfffft.
Ramien, slight better year, Katoa suffers outside, Same as last year.
Ronnie is in reverse
Sifa in reverse.

Tricky given a chance way to late.
Nicho no worse, just not as good, more a team thing

One positive the team seem to love him, that is very important.

coolumsharkie

Referee
Finucane was woeful this year. One decent game he played. Its ok to be a workhorse defender but if you are getting too slow to hit and stick you can f**k off. His HU's were pus as well.

Wade, f**king champion when he was forced to play big minutes, ok not as good as he once was but showed what he's worth. Was never a bench player. Wilton will be better next year because of this guy.

Defense, getting steamrolled by Manly was the highlight. Ok so we will never know the true story but f**k me, they cant be all sick or injured or both to give up a top 4 spot in that terrible period of WTF! When we should be a top 4 team. The Elephant in the room being that we just signed a bunch of not good enough, never will be's because they are all young and mates and the squad is buzzing. Survey says? Bump bow!

There are a few other concerns but hey, we aint got it right now.

Frenzy.

Immortal
I love Fitz as a coach.

He's an easy get. Include gender reassignment surgery in his package. Or on his package.

Also, Reece Walsh couldn't do what he does with the band of merry marshmallows we have in front of him.

coolumsharkie

Referee

The Red V Podcast

2 d ·

https://www.facebook.com/#
Some good remarks from Shane Flanagan in an interview with Dave Riccio of the DT.
- Dragons are looking at 4-5 players for next season and also chatting with 4-5 players of high end talent
- The club are aiming to bring in their own recruitment manager
- Flanno wants the dragons to be the best sports brand in Australia
- Says he’s knows what he’ll get out of his son Kyle, and believes him to be one of the best trainers at the club
- Says that when the side returns for pre season training they will face a new gym, new faces and a new beginning
- Flanagan: “we will be super fit, fast and powerful” + “we’re going to be ruthless, tough and hard to beat. If we have to win by two points, so be it. Then once we add some high level skill, we will still have our tough DNA with a sprinkling of X factor”
- On Tyrell Sloan: “I’ve spoken to Tyrell, my coaching style, my personality will help him where he needs to be” + “I’m going to invest a lot of my own time in Tyrell and on Wednesday’s he’ll do wrestling or boxing. We are going to expose him to some tough training”
- The dressing room and training will be open to former players. Wants his squad to know what it means to be a dragon and the history that comes with that.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I guess we're not going too bad.

When we say a player has improved or not need to take in that normally they have had another on average 22 games experience so natural improvement should be there.
Great comparison is Harry Grant vs Brailey, there is none Grant improves learns craft Brailey dosent and he is now 100 game plus player so a lot is excepted of him where Hazelton 20 games learning craft.
My review
Kennedy - par gets injured late both seasons
Mulitalo - backwards
Ramien - slightly backwards now close to 120 games
Talakai - off the cliff
Katao - slight improvement
Moylan- disgraceful
Hynes - backwards
Rudolf - backwards
Brailey - backwards
Uele- rate of notes backwards
Nikora - par
Wilton - par
Mcinness- improve make captain knows how to lead.
Graham - backwards
Williams - improved
Finucane - backwards at a rate
Hazelton - improved
Colquhoun - par
Hunt - backwards
Trindall - par
Tracey - backwards it's same game more experience
Hiroti - par
Kaufisi - backwards
Atkinson - par
Fitzgibbon - backwards

Hope didn't leave out anyone

SadShark

Bench
Enjoying watching AOB talk about his finals appearances are you Coach Lasso? Lap it up flop. Blake Brailey to be your saviour in 24’ you say? FMD.

cb4

First Grade
Personally, I think Fitz is a good Coach with the potential to be great.
He has coached 2 season, about 50 games and made the finals both seasons. No results in the finals yet, however, you ask any rookie Coach if they would take that and they would bite your hand off. Hell, ask Des Hasler if he would take making the finals in his first 2 seasons on the GC and I bet he takes it.

What will set Fitz up for success or failure, is how he will move people on who are of no use to him, and how he will determine who are of no use to him.
I know we all like to play SuperCoach and talk about what players we should bring in and how we should sign a Prop to play halfback, but the cap situation hasn't been kind the last couple of seasons, so he is playing the "better the devil you know" card.
Believe it or not, re-signing the playing squad is not a bad thing, that means they are all in on him, and he has faith in them.

I believe, and have done from the start, that 2025 will be the opening of the Premiership window as that is when we will be able to go to the market and freshen up the squad.
Before this happens, I think we need to freshen up the Coaching staff. We need a defensive minded Coach to come in, I know they came last, the club is a shit show, but David Furner would be a good get, especially for the brand of football we play.
Keep Hannay as he has the attack humming, let Price go back to St. George with Flanagan.

Next step is what we are currently doing, smash the signings for Flegg, Matts, SG Ball and even NSW Cup, help Newtown attract players, make our grades a proper stepping stone.
We will never be a Penrith type powerhouse with how small JRL is in the Shire, however, the Panthers identified the players they thought would make it, and set them on a path to play first grade.
Someone like Sam Stonestreet should be well entrenched in our team now.

The makings of us becoming a very good and solid club with a great Coach is there, we make the finals every year just about - since 2010 we have missed it 4 times.
Fitz just needs to take the next step, then everyone else around him will.

You're Probably right about favoured teams , But i think the old guard chook raffle running ceos living on past glories are on lifesupport. If sharks make a good fist of running a viable Vibrant operation that brings rugby league to a bigger market , Bums on seats AS WELL AS Media hits and sadly keeping the local AND international gambling fraternity interested , they WILL become a "favoured Team"

Frenzy.

Immortal
James Graham's Bye Round pocast has a 2 + hour chat with Shane Richardson. Really good insights on building a footy side and how the longer they are kept together the better they get.

Food for thought