What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2023 Dally M Awards

I dont know how to fix it tbh... maybe that would to it. But i dont know.
All these points systems are flawed. I mean the panthers are probably going to three-peat and the best player in the game hasnt won award but Wighton, Hynes and Ponga have on objectively shitty teams
Seems like not a great way to do things lol

But it is what it is. Congrats to Ponga. He's a great player to watch when he's on and boy was he on in the last half of the year
To be fair, Ponga’s team came 5th and he led a spine of journeyman to that position.

Maybe not the best player in the game, but a worthy winner. Like Hynes last year.

Nuke

Staff member
Maybe a better system is a 36-1 vote. Each game the best player scores 36 points, 2nd best player gets 35, ect, right down to 1 (if 18th men get a run).

A player who, say, consistently gets a score of 34 would and should do better on a night like tonight than someone who is a 36 one week then a 10 or 12 for a few weeks before getting another 35 or 36.

Apey

Staff member
To be fair, Ponga’s team came 5th and he led a spine of journeyman to that position.

Maybe not the best player in the game, but a worthy winner. Like Hynes last year.
The same people who reckon our team was full of duds besides Ponga are surprised when Ponga wins the Dally M after we finish 5th out of 17.

I would have been happy for SJ to win it though.

Great result for the club either way.

Generalzod

Immortal

Yet but Hynes played well all year, regardless if you think Cronulla had a soft draw.

Rod

Bench
Because KP was ridiculous in the second half of the season whereas Johnson tailed off a bit in the back end.

Was Johnson more consistent? Probably, but that's not what the award is and never has been.

Pjf04b

Juniors
If you have 2 or more superstars in your team they have absolutely no chance of winning a Dally M.
You also have to be a media darling from a fairytale or media favourite club.

Generalzod

Immortal
It’s quite evident that the people at fox have had a hard on for Ponga for a while, sure he is a good player but was he the best player this year ?

Last edited:

Lemon Squash

First Grade
I wasn’t really that surprised to see Ponga win it tbh, Knights caught fire at the back end of the year and it was pretty much directly off the back of Ponga. Just like Hayne 09 he was pretty much MOM in all those games. The rest of that squad are pretty average first graders, no one else was really going to threaten to take points from him.

I remember the game Parra smashed the Knights at Commbank I remember thinking Ponga shouldn’t be worried about Origin he should be worried about staying in first grade, he was absolutely shocking. Credit to him for getting his act together and the coaches biting the bullet and putting him back to 1.

SJ had an outstanding season and it shows he finished 1 point from winning it. Would have been a great story after his career. But you look at that Wahs team he had AFB, Tohu, CNK, Egan etc all had outstanding years and would have snagged points from him at stages.