What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ladder 2024 Dragons

ChocOConnor

Juniors
Strange thing is during last season we lost around 7 games by 4 points or less. Some due to Zac’s goal kicking. Now whilst I would have love to of win those games they may have got Hook another deal with BH pushing for him. With Flanno there and we can bag 4 of those games we
Move up the ladder to around 9-11. I can’t believe I’m picking the eyes out of 7 games to give me hope. 🙏

BigRedVee

Juniors
In 24 we will be fitter, stronger and have a better attitude. This alone should result in another 5 wins.

But I don’t really care where we finish, I care about how we play and that we develop our young players and improve our culture. These are the things that will improve us year on year.

kit66

Bench
For the last couple of years when everyone and their dog were awarding us the Spoon I said no effing way do we get the spoon, we'll never get the spoon. We came close, very close. Next year though, unless we make some major signings in crucial positions and get Hunt to do his job 100% we are going to get the Spoon or runner up.
If we run out the same team with only a couple of like for like replacements we're doomed because every other team in the comp already knows what it takes to beat us, they just spent 2023 doing just that and it wasn't that hard. Our forwards put up a reasonable fight for 30 minutes a half but while you're waiting for them to tire you can just attack us out wide and find an almost free passage to score in the corners or bomb away and watch us watch the ball bounce or drop it.
Seriously, who are we going to beat ? The Bulldogs and Tigers have made more good signings and appointed new (and likely better) coaches. The Titans underachieved dramatically this year, look at their forward pack, how they finished so low is a bloody mystery. The Dolphins, Manly, Cows are likely to hover around the same level on the ladder as they did this year.
If you're relying on Flanagan Snr, he's got his work cut out for him but he'll be busy trying to make his son a star and trying to win over Hunt and get him to co-operate on the coaches' terms not his own. While also trying to make Lomax a fullback - good luck with that. M:I-7 Hunt Is Missing.
Luai or Mam could help and maybe Cogger and Jordan McClean type signings in the forwards but all unlikely and we'd need all of them (at least 3) to be any hope of improving and even then we'd still have the flimsiest backline, defensively, in the comp. Without a major improvement in defence across the park, we're going nowhere, least of all higher up the ladder.

Verdict - bottom 2

Lethal25

Juniors
Depth wise we're an injury or two away from the spoon unless some quality arrives for 2024

It's amazing how the Roosters can sign Dom Young, Spencer Lenui and whilst we bin chicken our way around trash cans. Someone in this club needs to get more inventive

Dragon David

First Grade
Depth wise we're an injury or two away from the spoon unless some quality arrives for 2024

It's amazing how the Roosters can sign Dom Young, Spencer Lenui and whilst we bin chicken our way around trash cans. Someone in this club needs to get more inventive
It looks like that Lethal. They talk about improving the fitness and strength which will enable the players playing right to the end of a game, they hope, and they have looked at our past season and say that we lost a few games which we could have won with a bit more luck with decisions etc but the reality is we didn't and we might not have. Relying on the ifs and buts isn't going to make the team leap frog up the ladder in 2024 without some judicial recruitment of several players with quality and drawing power.

I sense that Flanno has some sort of long term plan that he has devised in a number of areas across the football sides we have. He isn't panicking with recruitment is what he has said and I think he knows what he is doing. He wants to bring about better results for the long term and doesn't think that getting quality players for short term is the solution.

I'm guessing he will be looking very closely at the young up and comers of all the juniors in the St George and Illawarra regions and those good ones that he identifies, with his assistants, will be given special coaching.

Flanno officially starts at the Dragons on 6 November so this is the month that officially he can get his recruitment guy, Millard, to get things moving with signing some players, the quality and strengths we either will not be happy with or maybe ok with. Only about 3 weeks away I'd say and we should have more of an idea as to who might be coming.

From then we can make a further prediction as to where we will end up on the ladder.

Lethal25

Juniors
It looks like that Lethal. They talk about improving the fitness and strength which will enable the players playing right to the end of a game, they hope, and they have looked at our past season and say that we lost a few games which we could have won with a bit more luck with decisions etc but the reality is we didn't and we might not have. Relying on the ifs and buts isn't going to make the team leap frog up the ladder in 2024 without some judicial recruitment of several players with quality and drawing power.

I sense that Flanno has some sort of long term plan that he has devised in a number of areas across the football sides we have. He isn't panicking with recruitment is what he has said and I think he knows what he is doing. He wants to bring about better results for the long term and doesn't think that getting quality players for short term is the solution.

I'm guessing he will be looking very closely at the young up and comers of all the juniors in the St George and Illawarra regions and those good ones that he identifies, with his assistants, will be given special coaching.

Flanno officially starts at the Dragons on 6 November so this is the month that officially he can get his recruitment guy, Millard, to get things moving with signing some players, the quality and strengths we either will not be happy with or maybe ok with. Only about 3 weeks away I'd say and we should have more of an idea as to who might be coming.

From then we can make a further prediction as to where we will end up on the ladder.
We have so many question marks hanging over us.

Will a fitness improvement equate to a couple more wins, Amone gone, Sloan injured, what signings if any, is Hunt committed?

On the positive side I think more people have faith in Flanno than previous head coaches, so a little ray of light there.

Let's hope for a better season and continued improvement DD

JohnnoMcJohnno

Juniors
I don't think we'll finish anywhere near last. Let's face it, we've had three dud coaches in a row. Our tactics for the last few years have been 5 hit-ups and a kick. This year our fitness levels were poor, our defence atrocious, and Hook had the bewildering strategy of moving players out of position then dropping them when it didn't work out.

If Flanno can't improve on that lot, I'll be very surprised. We may not have the roster to challenge for the eight, but we can do better with what we have.

Dragon David

First Grade
We have so many question marks hanging over us.

Will a fitness improvement equate to a couple more wins, Amone gone, Sloan injured, what signings if any, is Hunt committed?

On the positive side I think more people have faith in Flanno than previous head coaches, so a little ray of light there.

Let's hope for a better season and continued improvement DD
Yep, that's all we can hope for plus miracles can happen. kit66 summed it up pretty good.

The picture doesn't look one with plenty of bells and whistles in the foreground.

Each year it seems like we are just treading water and getting close to drowning in our pitiful shit the way we do things.

This is why Flanno has been appointed as he has that ability and know how as to how to build a winning team team and get us more or less in a far better position a few years down the track and keep us always in the top half of the ladder. It has got to happen. We have been down trodden for too long and we need to become a successful club again - whatever it takes.

kit66

Bench

Apparently Flanno is on holidays in Perth atm, not really what you want coming up to Nov 1.
I hope Young jnr and snr aren't in there already making their own plans. That's another issue Flanno will have to manage, those two meddlers.
D.Young should have bought a couple of Cowboys with him, we'll see.

Parko1310

Juniors

I couldn't believe we weren't in the conversation for Dom Young. I've said it before, I believe he'll be the best winger in the game 3-4 years from now. Instead, we'll keep acting like Ravalawa is some sort of God because he can run really hard in a straight line...

justadragon

Bench

Totally agree Dave, even though Flanno starts on the 6th Nov, I think he has been well and truly at it for a while now. The thing that gets me is if he went out and just did the panic buying it would be HOOK 2.0, and we would be jumping up and down, he's a stealthy calculated guy who is ruthless, ask Gallen about that. Flanno would absolutely love the fact no one knows exactly what he is doing especially the media, and to me as long as he knows what's going on, so be it.

Parko1310

Juniors
Totally agree Dave, even though Flanno starts on the 6th Nov, I think he has been well and truly at it for a while now. The thing that gets me is if he went out and just did the panic buying it would be HOOK 2.0, and we would be jumping up and down, he's a stealthy calculated guy who is ruthless, ask Gallen about that. Flanno would absolutely love the fact no one knows exactly what he is doing especially the media, and to me as long as he knows what's going on, so be it.
Agreed, we also have to remember that for the first time in a long time the media will, for the majority, be on our side. Flanno ensures that with all the relationships he has. He will be in some level of control about what does and doesn't get out. He can use them strategically.

Slippery Morris

First Grade
Hard to predict how Saints will go but I am hoping Saints can do a Warriors and Knights and come from bottom 4 to finish in top 6 a year later. They showed it is possible. Warriors only big change was the coach who got his players to play to their peak. I cannot see why Flanno won't do the same the only thing. As for Hunt, he says he will be at the Saints for 2024. If he wants to jag an offer from a Qld team , he better perform or he will have no choice but to stay in Wollongong/Kogarah jail for another season. I am tipping he will have a solid year trying to get a contract for 2025.

I am predicting 12th to 10th with a couple of upset wins over some of the top 8 sides.

jak

Bench
Yep, that's all we can hope for plus miracles can happen. kit66 summed it up pretty good.

The picture doesn't look one with plenty of bells and whistles in the foreground.

Each year it seems like we are just treading water and getting close to drowning in our pitiful shit the way we do things.

This is why Flanno has been appointed as he has that ability and know how as to how to build a winning team team and get us more or less in a far better position a few years down the track and keep us always in the top half of the ladder. It has got to happen. We have been down trodden for too long and we need to become a successful club again - whatever it takes.
plus flanno gives me the feeling he wants to be here for a very long time.

Carrera28

Juniors
I am predicting somewhere between 10th and 14th. Our season will depend on three things injuries, team morale/spirit and learning when to give Ben Hunt the ball. Despite the hammering we get from the Fox pundits (cannot call them journalists) I don't think we have a decent enough set of players but we lack the firepower the finish in the top 8.

If our team can just focus on the entire 80 minutes and have an attacking plan that involves more than giving the ball to Ben Hunt and kicking on the 3rd or 4th tackle every second play we should be competitive and remain games rather than fading away. Unfortunately injuries cannot be predicted and with our depth 3 or 4 serious injuries early and we could drop into the wooden spoon hunt.

saintmar

Juniors
It's not going to be good for the next 2 years.
Next year I feel we unfortunately will get the dreaded
Slight improvement 2025
Upswing from 2026 as I think the hierarchy will finally pull together and make some tough decisions

kit66

Bench

I'd be somewhat more confident if that were the case brother. Fingers crossed.

Latest posts