What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Game Future NRL Stadiums part II

Canard

Immortal
dave chappelle tyrone biggums GIF

The Great Dane

First Grade
..by creating plastic team which is cheap knock off of existing one; like Melbourne City, se Qld crushers, la clippers, GWS..
The LA Clippers are the 5th most valuable NBA team... Yeah they've had their struggles like all teams do, but attempting to infer that they are some kind of failure is more than a stretch.

The rest each have/had their own problems, but even the best ideas can struggle or fail if they're poorly implemented. Doesn't mean that it's bad strategy anymore than the multitude of bad pizzas that are served every night means that pizza is inherently a bad food.

mongoose

Coach
Crushers could have been a huge success. I know people think their brand was shit but they had good crowds in their first season and there was a lot of strong marketing for them leading up to the 95 season. The Grange was not a great location for their Leagues club though.

Canard

Immortal
Crushers could have been a huge success. I know people think their brand was shit but they had good crowds in their first season and there was a lot of strong marketing for them leading up to the 95 season. The Grange was not a great location for their Leagues club though.
They killed them at the first sign of adversity, but mainly they were a casualty of the War.

Anyone trying to draw conclusions from 20 years ago, during the height of the SL war is lacking context.

At the end of their first season they were in the same boat as the Dolphins.

Colk

First Grade
The LA Clippers are the 5th most valuable NBA team... Yeah they've had their struggles like all teams do, but attempting to infer that they are some kind of failure is more than a stretch.

The rest each have/had their own problems, but even the best ideas can struggle or fail if they're poorly implemented. Doesn't mean that it's bad strategy anymore than the multitude of bad pizzas that are served every night means that pizza is inherently a bad food.

Even if you were to take out his specific examples most clubs don’t come from a second tier competition and are essentially by his definition a “plastic club”. Most of them are a success.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Even if you were to take out his specific examples most clubs don’t come from a second tier competition and are essentially by his definition a “plastic club”. Most of them are a success.
Including the club he's a plastic fan of lol

Canard

Immortal
Interesting funding model, no state or fed funding being used. Maybe something NRL or its clubs could look at in Sydney?
The land the stadium and housing development is to be built on, has been gifted to them by the local Council. This is the same as funding.

That is essentially the only real asset they have, and why a land developer is involved.

It's also in a gnarly location, remote with only one road into it, and not near any train station. And even if it was, trying to go to games during Friday or Saturday commute times would be a nightmare.

They have been promising this stadium since 2018, so we shall see how this pans out.

Munky

Coach
$50m debt facility from a US listed company.

They'll own the A League franchise and potential real estate when the club defaults on the repayments.

The interest rate on a construction loan will be insane.

Perth Red

Post Whore
The land the stadium and housing development is to be built on, has been gifted to them by the local Council. This is the same as funding.

That is essentially the only real asset they have, and why a land developer is involved.

It's also in a gnarly location, remote with only one road into it, and not near any train station. And even if it was, trying to go to games during Friday or Saturday commute times would be a nightmare.

They have been promising this stadium since 2018, so we shall see how this pans out.
yeh I was talking fed and state. Maybe NRl working with local councils is a better strategy given failure to secure development funding at state and fed level?

Canard

Immortal
yeh I was talking fed and state. Maybe NRl working with local councils is a better strategy given failure to secure development funding at state and fed level?
I can't see this scenario being replicated often.

Council donating land for a privately run stadium isn't a common thing, and all a bit IBACeky for mine

Perth Red

Post Whore
I can't see this scenario being replicated often.

Council donating land for a privately run stadium isn't a common thing, and all a bit IBACeky for mine
I know Manly had some grand plans similar as a way to upgrade Brooky but council wouldnt play ball which was real shame. Most of the NRL stadiums that need upgrading are owned by the council so using development funds to upgrade their own facilities doesnt seem such an issue?

Bukowski

Juniors
I've always thought Wests tigers, Campbo council, Wests leagues campbo and Meriton should be able to come up with a development that's is beneficial to all parties. There's a lot of land around CSS.

Didn't you say it doesn't matter where a team's Leagues Club is based?

The Great Dane

First Grade
They killed them at the first sign of adversity, but mainly they were a casualty of the War.

Anyone trying to draw conclusions from 20 years ago, during the height of the SL war is lacking context.

At the end of their first season they were in the same boat as the Dolphins.
They also didn't have the financial backing to achieve their goals. They totally underestimated how expensive it'd be to set up a club from scratch, totally overestimated take up in support and how much interest there'd be in their products, and were asking the NSWRL for loans before they'd even played their first game.

The truth of the matter is that they weren't in a position to support a team and shouldn't have been allowed anywhere near a license, and the NSWRL must have know that but gave it to them anyway. We can only speculate as to why it was allowed to happen, but they were set up to fail and they weren't the only expansion club that was in that boat at the time. It's the major reason why those clubs were falling over themselves to join SL despite having only just joined the NSWRL/ARL.

Chuck in Super League and the other issues of the time on top of that and you've got a complete clusterf**k. It's something of a miracle that any of the expansion clubs of the 80s and 90s survived that period, and most of the ones that did did so through good fortune more so than good management.

Latest posts