What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Volkman & Allan gone

Sorry, Silverdale. I stuffed up there. What I meant was that in Volkman being damaged goods now, he adds to the others that have been not so good news for the Dragons. He is an add on.
All good, because most of our players are damaged goods once they’ve passed the medical and are contracted lol.

I am allowed to flog our ugly log because I am actually a paid up 2024 member.

I might get the cat an SGI pet membership to get skin in the game here.

Jerome clearly doesn’t want to be a panther anymore, he’s checked out mentally and they should release him

I’ve been following it closely. They didn’t prioritise keeping him. Insulting from his perspective, probably hurt a bit as well as he’s known Ivan and co for about 10 years.

I think he’s a better player than some of the ones they are keeping and paying for, but they Cleary disagree.

We are thrilled, means the world to us.

There is a human side to it.

Fingers crossed he plays well with Bud!

Last edited:

shiznit

Coach
No way. Dragons have done nothing wrong. They bought a player in good faith, and believed the information provided to them by the Warriors and Volkmans manager. On the other side, Volkman knew something was wrong on the 12th December. Two screws have pulled out and he can't pass the ball properly. If he knew, Warriors knew. Smacks of fraud to me. If nothing else, you'd be wary of doing any business with the Warriors in the future.
This take is so stupid…

The Warriors have absolutely no blame here.

This wasn’t a transaction between the Warriors and the Dragons…

this was 2 different transactions…

1 - The Warriors and Volkman agreed to a release of his contract… which included a payout the manager negotiated.

2 - The Dragons signed Volkman to a deal.

The Warriors and Volkman came to an agreement… and if Volkman’s shoulder was an issue(which Volkman would have known) then Volkman and his agent should have pressed for a scan while he was still employed by the Warriors before signing a release.

They signed and finalised the release so as far as the Warriors obligations go it ended at that point.

The 2nd transaction was between a then un-restricted free agent and the dragons. Unfortunately the dragons needed to follow the process properly to cover there arse.

I won’t really get too much into that 2nd transaction… but if the Dragons signed him PENDING a medical then the only thing the Dragons did wrong was announce the signing before completing the medical. I can’t see how the Dragons are liable here either.

to me this falls squarely on Volkman and his agent… They needed to get the medical done on his shoulder before signing a release and getting in an exposed position like this.

FrankWhite

Juniors
Can the Drags get anymore inept??

Serious though, can someone name a rule the Warriors broke? Before we list Flannos (new) infringements?

This take is so stupid…

1 - The Warriors and Volkman agreed to a release of his contract… which included a payout the manager negotiated.

The Warriors and Volkman came to an agreement… and if Volkman’s shoulder was an issue(which Volkman would have known) then Volkman and his agent should have pressed for a scan while he was still employed by the Warriors before signing a release.

They signed and finalised the release so as far as the Warriors obligations go it ended at that point.

The 2nd transaction was between a then un-restricted free agent and the dragons. Unfortunately the dragons needed to follow the process properly to cover there arse.

I won’t really get too much into that 2nd transaction… but if the Dragons signed him PENDING a medical then the only thing the Dragons did wrong was announce the signing before completing the medical. I can’t see how the Dragons are liable here either.

to me this falls squarely on Volkman and his agent… They needed to get the medical done on his shoulder before signing a release and getting in an exposed position like this.
I agree with this. St George training him before signing is a clear breach of the rules but more silly than malicious (as was the announcement). Feel sorry for Volkman but his agent has let him down.

Lennyb

Juniors
Can the Drags get anymore inept??

Serious though, can someone name a rule the Warriors broke? Before we list Flannos (new) infringements?
Oh Franky.

New Zealands relationship with big pharma has clearly filtered down to there employees.

Flannos past, please. Digferent level. Haha

The kid appears to have been paid a lump sum for the release.

If it equated to his salary for 1 year, he wasn’t disadvantaged.

It all gets back to the nature of the release.

If it related to all past injuries, Volkman is stuffed.

If it related to all matters that may occur after the date of release, Warriors insurance will

JohnnoMcJohnno

Juniors
This take is so stupid…

Much of what you say would be true, except the Warriors provided a medical certificate saying his big issue is sinusitis, and there's some shoulder irritation. Then, when he gets to his new club it turns out his shoulder is like chocolate and he can't pass a ball properly. The Dragons rightly felt they've been given a misleading medical report.

Volkman certainly would have known the shoulder was an issue, and what the consequences of that probably were. What happens after that, well who knows. It's possible Volkman didn't tell the Warriors and underplayed the extent of his injury. But if his shoulder went on the 12th December, as has been reported, I think it's unlikely that the Warriors didn't know there was a problem. I feel it's more likely they did know, but chose not to do anything. In terms of his Manager, it's also possible he wasn't aware of the injury. If he was, surely his advice would have been to stay with the Warriors.

I really don't see that the Dragons have done anything wrong. Volkman and Warriors, not so sure.

blacksafake

First Grade
I’m not sure why this story is getting people so riled up, I couldn’t really give a toss.
We signed the kid pending medical, foolishly announced it before medical, thankfully found the injury, announced we wouldn’t be registering contract.
On the scale of all the screw ups over the past decade by our club, this one is pretty low on the richtor scale.
And why anyone would want to be anything but positive about Flanno at this stage I just don’t get. Isn’t it better to live life with a positive outlook? Flanno may ultimately fail but why death ride him before a ball has been kicked?
Trying to blame this Volkman thing on Flanno at this stage, please!
Post of this topic 👍

Post of this topic 👍
People are getting riled up because it’s your dragons I guess! Royal Commission into everything that threatens the sanctity of the red v.

Much of what you say would be true, except the Warriors provided a medical certificate saying his big issue is sinusitis, and there's some shoulder irritation. Then, when he gets to his new club it turns out his shoulder is like chocolate and he can't pass a ball properly. The Dragons rightly felt they've been given a misleading medical report.

Volkman certainly would have known the shoulder was an issue, and what the consequences of that probably were. What happens after that, well who knows. It's possible Volkman didn't tell the Warriors and underplayed the extent of his injury. But if his shoulder went on the 12th December, as has been reported, I think it's unlikely that the Warriors didn't know there was a problem. I feel it's more likely they did know, but chose not to do anything. In terms of his Manager, it's also possible he wasn't aware of the injury. If he was, surely his advice would have been to stay with the Warriors.

I really don't see that the Dragons have done anything wrong. Volkman and Warriors, not so sure.

High quality submission, a lot to think about.

Flanno thought he was probably ok and then would have factored that into his planning.

Then there was a financial cost involved in all this and hopefully one of Flannos other options wasn’t scooped up by the cows or something while you waited for VW and you missed out.

If you were misrepresented about him by someone, you would have legal options I suppose.

TheRev

First Grade
There are other halves wandering around in cup and he was better than them.
This was the key.. Volkman already had small amounts of NRL + International experience, plus a few years at cup level but still in his early 20's.... and was considered far too good to be stuck in reserve grade.. he is not some roll of the dice as some think.. he was a real chance at a longterm NRL halfback.. but after 2 shoulder surgeries.. I dunno if he comes back from that?

I suspect Volkman wanted that opportunity desperately also.. and probably wasn't honest with all parties (including his manager) around the level of pain he was in... that said he clearly had no idea of the severity, hence the poor decision.

For our club... there are other recruitment options at reserve grade level (which we will pick up soon) who probably give us the depth we are desperate for... but doesnt give us a longterm 1st grader.. and that really hurts.. because if we could have gotten someone with real promise, then we had a possible plan for 2025 (or 2026) when Hunt goes.. right now none of our own juniors are even on the radar.. and we missed all our marquee targets.

FrankWhite

Juniors
Much of what you say would be true, except the Warriors provided a medical certificate saying his big issue is sinusitis, and there's some shoulder irritation.
So the Warriors literally reported it and Flanno still didnt do due dilligence.

Then, when he gets to his new club it turns out his shoulder is like chocolate and he can't pass a ball properly. The Dragons rightly felt they've been given a misleading medical report.

Ohh yeah no blame for the Dragons who only violated NRL and NRLPA policy.

possm

Coach
This take is so stupid…

I think Volkman and the Warriors knew about the injury and signed the release to give Volkman an early exit. A payout to Volkman was made.

Volkman and his manager pushed forward with the Draons' contract without being honest and disclosing the injury to the Dragons.

Luckily, the contract registration with the NRL was conditional on a satisfactory medical report. The Dragons were not satisfied with the report and so it ends there.

What I am interested it knowing is, who at the Dragons announced the signing prior to gaming the medical report?

My guess, the person was GM of football, Haran. He always likes to take credit for signings and could help himself on this occasion.

The next question is, what will the Board do about this?

Trifili13

Juniors
To me the Volkman situation appears as though the Warrior's knew his injury meant he would struggle to get on the field and add to that he was down the pecking order so with the Dragon's wanting to sign him, the Warrior's saw it as an opportunity to get him off their cap by paying a good chunk but not all his money of the remaining 2 years of his contract and also free up a roster position ( rather than staying on books and paying full amount). The Dragon's always said the contract is subject to a medical. The Dragon's let him train to see how he was, put on the yellow bib to warn everyone to not go hard on him, our medical staff realised he was struggling got the x-rays done and found straight away the damage was more than either the Warrior's or the player were letting on so contract did not proceed.

The player would also likely have known the level of discomfort he was in and to still tell the Dragon's coaching staff he was good to train at a restricted level should put the onus on him rather than the Dragon's who are trying to see if his shoulder can stand up to the rigours of the game and whether they should go through with his signing.

Let's say the Dragon's had not signed anything, bought him in to give him a medical and found the dodgy shoulder while doing some drills. Are we liable? Given we always said the contract is subject to a medical, can't see the Dragon's are responsible.

The situation could get messy and just hope the Dragon's don't get shafted.

JohnnoMcJohnno

Juniors
So the Warriors literally reported it and Flanno still didnt do due dilligence.

Ohh yeah no blame for the Dragons who only violated NRL and NRLPA policy.
Come on Frank. I'm sure even you can see there's a huge difference between shoulder irritation on the one hand, and a reconstructed shoulder with two screws pulled out and an inability to pass the ball on the other. The medical reports are supposed to be provided by a competent professional which can be relied upon by third parties. If whoever wrote the report has missed the shoulder issue, I'd say their diligence is in question, not the Dragons.

I'm not sure what policy you think has been violated but I don't put much credence in what the RLPA have to say. They will advocate for the player irrespective of the legalities of the case, and will attack whoever they think will get them the best outcome. I'd be more interested in hearing what the NRL have to say about policy violation. So far they haven't said anything. Maybe there's nothing to say.

Harry Bath

Juniors
Come on Frank. I'm sure even you can see there's a huge difference between shoulder irritation on the one hand, and a reconstructed shoulder with two screws pulled out and an inability to pass the ball on the other. The medical reports are supposed to be provided by a competent professional which can be relied upon by third parties. If whoever wrote the report has missed the shoulder issue, I'd say their diligence is in question, not the Dragons.

I'm not sure what policy you think has been violated but I don't put much credence in what the RLPA have to say. They will advocate for the player irrespective of the legalities of the case, and will attack whoever they think will get them the best outcome. I'd be more interested in hearing what the NRL have to say about policy violation. So far they haven't said anything. Maybe there's nothing to say.
the NRL move at glacial pace so in this case no news is not good news