What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumours and Stuff

Glenneel

Bench
Blaze, Martin both have great potential and hopefully Dunster getting back to what he was are probably our best bets for depth. If they do come good then throw is Harper its not so bad.
I have both Talagi and Martin as smokies to be in the team towards the end of the year. Both exciting players.

Apparently there are 9 juniors training with the NRL team BA said in one interview. Obviously club thinks there is potential for a fair few to eventually progress fulltime to NRL. That is the first decent crop of juniors since Hayne, Inu and Mateo to come thru in about 2007. If any of them turn out to be as good we're in for an exciting time.

Gronk

Staff member
I have both Talagi and Martin as smokies to be in the team towards the end of the year. Both exciting players.

Apparently there are 9 juniors training with the NRL team BA said in one interview. Obviously club thinks there is potential for a fair few to eventually progress fulltime to NRL. That is the first decent crop of juniors since Hayne, Inu and Mateo to come thru in about 2007. If any of them turn out to be as good we're in for an exciting time.
I remember TCT had Joey Grima on a few times and he dropped that sometimes player managers negotiate a preseason as part of a contract. So we have to be careful sometimes if we see some random doing preseason, to assume that he is being accelerated / preferenced.

Having said that, I am guessing that those kids would be doing pre-xmas preseason. Anyone at training now would be real deal ?

Glenneel

Bench
This isn't true at all most years:

YearAfter round 6After round 12After round 18After round 24
202314th14th5th10th
20224th5th6th4th
20213rd5th4th6th
20202nd3rd4thOnly 20 rounds
20195th8th6th6th

Looks like you started with your belief (the coach doesn't know what he's doing but somehow you do) and fabricated memories to support it. Pretty common around here.
You've just proved my point. We've always started better then where we finished up. But I'm talking about is a marginal drop off in performance of the big men (due to big minutes played in games over the full year) which imo leads to us not winning the big games against strong opposition when it matters most at the back end of the year. Only in 2022 did we perform well in the finals series but were burnt out by the gf. Less minutes, being rested to overcome niggling injuries will lead to a better outcome imo.

King-Gutho94

Coach
That is the first decent crop of juniors since Hayne, Inu and Mateo to come thru in about 2007. If any of them turn out to be as good we're in for an exciting time.
What a waste of talent those 3 ended up being.

Hayne more from a team perspective but the other two you could say never fulfilled the talent they had in there careers and just became journeyman.

TheRam

Coach
We are apparently looking at Trey Mooney from the Raiders. I dare say some forwards will be moved on in 2025 and he will be a handy replacement.

I must admit I’ve never seen him play.

According to his wiki he is a Cabramatta junior and of Maori/Croat heritage. Turns 22 in May.

Mooney is a born leader and I'm very surprised he hasn't cemented an NRL role down already. The kid can definitely play. So I just don't get what is going on with him. I was very disappointed when we lost him a few years ago now. Will be great if we can get him back. Maybe the Canberra stink is what is holding him back and once he comes back home it reignites his engines and he fulfils his potential all the way. Great pickup if it happens.

TheRam

Coach
^^^
Plans for a secret multi-billion dollar Chinese port in Papua New Guinea will ensure the island nation gets the nod as the NRL's 18th franchise.

How did they find out of it was a secret ? Gotta love the media.

I don't ming PNG being the next franchise. We are currently at saturation level in Oz and I don't think we could handle another Dolphins as there aint enough NRL level players.

One thing about PNG, they will bring thier own players as its a whole new market. No doubt they will be shit over the first few years but they will build and become more professional if there is NRL mony available to them. Their World Cup performances are improving each time they play.

Could be a good move.

Way better option then the Central Coast. There should never be another new team put in NSW for at least 80-100 years. We need to grow the game not cannibalize it further. My preferred options are Christchurch(because they will have the best indoor stadium in Aus-NZ and thousands will flock to it come rain hail or sunshine as long as the team is somewhat competitive and in time will/should be a powerhouse with all that NRL exposure. Then Perth and then PNG.

But I get that with all those tens of millions the NRL is looking at that will be on offer from the Australian Gov, which will include millions for junior systems and development that otherwise would never have been possible then it is a no brainer that PNG should jump the queue. I believe they have already started to setup never before available structures and programs through the pathways. This will all have a huge knockon affect over the next 10 years or so that will make the NRL product a much more attractive and stronger code over all.

The Bears are dead. Leave them that way. No one under 50 could really give a damn anyway. We need to move forward and into the future. The Bears are the past and they were a joke back then anyway. Sure I get the nostalgia and feel good story aspect of it but if they were brought back to play any of their home games in NSW then it would be a mistake and very myopic decision from the ARLC. We have enough games played in this State and the Roosters take a game or two to the Central Coast now too. So it isn't needed.

Move the fu*k on! We need to learn how to conquer new found lands and territories. The game is bigger now so lets treat it with the respect it deserves ffs!

yy_cheng

Coach
I remember TCT had Joey Grima on a few times and he dropped that sometimes player managers negotiate a preseason as part of a contract. So we have to be careful sometimes if we see some random doing preseason, to assume that he is being accelerated / preferenced.

Having said that, I am guessing that those kids would be doing pre-xmas preseason. Anyone at training now would be real deal ?
Was also mentioned on the podcast on Hoppa about getting NRL pre-season training in the latter years of their contract so that's probably why we've seen some nuffies in prev years training then dissappearing off the map

T.S Quint

Coach
And some people wanted that POS here, he just had a little problem with alcohol apparently. He’s a maggot and a thug, good on her for speaking her mind. Fox just showing their hypocrisy.

He's an absolute piece of shit and he doesn't even seem remotely remorseful about what he's done.
I've been critical of PVL and Abdo, but the best thing they've done is tell him to f**k off and not come back.

T.S Quint

Coach
Was also mentioned on the podcast on Hoppa about getting NRL pre-season training in the latter years of their contract so that's probably why we've seen some nuffies in prev years training then dissappearing off the map

Is Hopgood's nickname actually Hoppa?
Because every time I see it I immediately think of Hopoate, and then I'm like "We didn't sign him back to the club, did we?"

The Colonel

Immortal
He's an absolute piece of shit and he doesn't even seem remotely remorseful about what he's done.
I've been critical of PVL and Abdo, but the best thing they've done is tell him to f**k off and not come back.

Yet they cleared Jennings to train with the Roosters who has been accused of similar actions to that of Scott....

Continues to highlight the hypocrisy of the NRL. They shouldn't pick and choose who they allow return.