What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Charity Shield 2024

kit66

Bench
First 15min we were owning the game and only worked the right side in attack

3 times it went to Birdy where it broke down

One he dropped the ball because he couldn’t stay in field

The other two it was hard to say if he over ran but as he was involved they both broke down

It was clunky and not much space

Conversely in that first 15min Lomax and Eisenhuth looked dangerous

25th min I felt birdy didn’t run at the gap where Hint was passing out in front of him which led to birdy reaching then stuffing his chip. Involved Birdy again and he directly made this mistake. It’s just too many !!!

I’m giving Birdy a leave pass this game but no more after that

It is only fair to give Birdy the leave pass if I am also in my mind giving Sloan a leave pass also with a up and down game

I noticed that Auntie, we kept going to the right, time after time but apart from that early overlap I mentioned above the bunnies had us well covered defensively on the right. If Hunt had any sense he would have seen that Bird and Lomax had absolutely nowhere to go and he should have spun or kicked back to the left/middle. Realistically we shouldn't have gone right in the first place - we hadn't created any space that way. So basically when it broke down with Bird or Lomax, that was all Hunt's fault.
I think Hunt and Kyle will get better over the weeks ahead but last night they were literally at 6's and 7's, at one point they crossed paths in the middle of the park on the bunnies 30mtr line Hunt yelling at a forward and pointing to the right and Kyle yelling at someone else and pointing to the left, quite comical. Flanno will work on that I'm sure.

Rocket Rod

Juniors
I'm just watching the first half now and am only 10 minutes in.

- for 2 of the Rabbits kicks so far I've seen our markers have to run around blockers on the side of the play the ball. So where is the penalty for that? But we get pinged for a down town call later in the game?
- at the 10:30 mark we drop the ball and the rabbits pick it up and run down the side line for 15 meters and then we bundle him out. Apparently no advantage. Isn't the no advantage a 10 meter thing?

I don't like to bag the refs but boy there were some questionable calls last night.

Outside of that, the main team looks pretty good so far. If nothing else, it looks like we should be a hell of a lot more competitive this year.
They were playing a second string side and we were full strength of course we looked better but not by much
The only positives I got out of it is that Flanno will do his utmost to improve this squad to keep his job
Btw the interview Hunt did was so uninspiring you can tell he just doesn’t want to be there

Auntie.Gerald

First Grade
We see differently here. Most times Rava goes inside he misses his man. Not be surprised hed have missed this one too. He scored the try because of a loose pass and the fact he had again left his wing unattended, something he has made his speciality ever since he joined us.

I hear u baggy

I agree there is a mix of times in the past were it has worked and not worked

But in this situation because the Bunnies shifted quickly to the right Rava was left with a two on one…….he made the right call to jam in and smash the centre if need be at the same time as the centre receiving the ball

He would have but the centre looked up and then the ball he tried to tap on in front of himself (terrible reaction by the Bunnies centre) ……Rava was crouched ready to kill but didn’t do it early as has been guilty of sometimes and pulled out and grabbed the spoils

But I get what ur saying but if u get a cha ce to watch the high lights again they show this passage of play twice

Suli and Kyle totally have Rava covered if the winger gets the ball which is plan B

Plan A we smash the centre and capitalise which we did

Offensive defence

Last edited:

BlackDuckSaint

Juniors
I noticed something different in defence when rava and suli were both on the left.

A lot of the issues last year were due to Suli Jamming in and Feagai not following immediately and being left in 2 on 1 situations constantly.

Last night, Suli wasnt jamming, Rava was, HARD, and Suli was sliding behind to cover the over lap and it worked really well in the first half.

Same happened on the left with Lomax jamming almost every time and the inside sliding out.

When Rava switched sides, Tuipulotu wasn't jamming which is fair, he is new and not used to systems etc. but it was badly exposed when Tamale came on cause he never stayed out on his man and left Tui on a 2 on 1 a couple of times.

I really believe there is a system of the winger jamming in and the inside sliding hard to cover. Which is different to last year of Centre AND winger jamming too slow and Ben Hunt being the only one sliding.

SEAT 1A

Bench
Considering the South's out's, 'should have put more points on in the first half and expected the result in the second half.
Defence was good and I saw more attack in. So, it will come good.

Eisenhueth was great for his first game, Suli, Su'a were good and JDB's defence was top notch. Bird was solid however, tanked after 20 odd minutes. Thought I would see more from BBM, again may be fitness. Sloan did get hammered and was a bit surprised he didn't score when in the clear.

It will be interesting to see what the team will be like for the Tigers.

Sele and RFM to be given a shot and move JDB to prop. Stick with Conner or Marschke on the bench. Lomax to fullback or keep Sloan if Lomax is out.

Auntie.Gerald

First Grade
The u known is

Mitchell
Walker
Wighton
Graham
Cook

I mean all those guys make our starting 13 full stop

Vs RFM and Sele more so 13-17 ?

The shift of Eisenhuth to the right totally makes sense with Hunt Lomax and Eisenhuth chasing the bombs to control field position in the back left of the opposition half will evolve nicely - 190-191cm respectively

Eisenhuth has such a great Cardio capacity…..on kick chase and is so solid in defence. He is a professional.

Sua looked fantastic on the left and more coming back in field looked dangerous in attack

Last edited:

steerlerbab

Juniors
First half we were very competitive even better. Sure they missed latrel and Cody but we missed Sele (our top signing). But second half, Flanno tried our a lot of our reserve graders and it showed where we are lacking. We will be competitive if our top 17 stays fit. Like him or hate him this team needs Hunt. Few injuries and we maybe looking at bottom eight and worst case wooden spoon.

BLM01

First Grade
First 15min we were owning the game and only worked the right side in attack

3 times it went to Birdy where it broke down

One he dropped the ball because he couldn’t stay in field

The other two it was hard to say if he over ran but as he was involved they both broke down

It was clunky and not much space

Conversely in that first 15min Lomax and Eisenhuth looked dangerous

25th min I felt birdy didn’t run at the gap where Hint was passing out in front of him which led to birdy reaching then stuffing his chip. Involved Birdy again and he directly made this mistake. It’s just too many !!!

I’m giving Birdy a leave pass this game but no more after that

It is only fair to give Birdy the leave pass if I am also in my mind giving Sloan a leave pass also with a up and down game
Is it just me I thought Bird played pretty good and troubled the defense each time with the ball. Made the good clean break but had no one to pass to. Couple of errors Yes but one it was a clear strip and we should of challenged it.

BLM01

First Grade
Hunt is a myth only shines with rep players around him
As for the rest of them well the less said the better although Sua does try very hard
I reckon Sowie’s angels are way more fun to watch
Speaking of Sowie's a player signed a new deal in December still nothing from the club?

rasaint

Juniors
OK I have only seen some highlights of the match. My stomach sunk watching South’s run away trys in second half.

I appreciated all the forum perspectives thus far.

. I never liked the Kyle signing. Looked good in his first year with Sharkes. Signed by Easts for a couple of seasons but pushed out? ( I think) and ended up at dogs In n out of favour. Now with us. I say he looks unremarkable; I hope not on big $$$.Apparently, did his best last night but I hope dad Shane doesnt hold him in firsts for the wrong reasons. The best teams have fast 5/8s ( eg Mam, Luau, Munster, Keary)
. Not sure if Tamale got a bit of a run? At least he has zip. Same with Finau; did he get a go or did the big winger from Manly stay on?

Hoping for the best

56to66

Juniors
The most toughest NRL team to coach is the St George Dragons, we expect premierships, simple.
Flanno had the Luxury, of no pressure Sharks team, they got close to Oblivion in 2010, with 0 rugby league history, 6 years later they were premiers, some Muppet journo suggested we would take 2030 as a premiership, following the same path, I thought the same, yeh nuh screw that, I would like my Chocolates now, if the Dragons get the Wooden spoon, I will sack him immediately!

kit66

Bench
Just finished watching the first half replay (had to go out) and noted a couple of things.
We went right 7 or 8 times and Hunt managed to take the wrong option nearly every time. I've posted the 2 man overlap he missed in the 2nd set and mentioned the 4 or 5 times he passed right when there was nothing happening that way and I just saw another try gone begging because Hunt had the blinkers on. Around the 35 minute mark we have shape to the right plenty of space and a two man overlap - as in this screen shot, Hunt should pass to Sloan who would have put on the afterburners to move right an attract the bunnies centre (the centre is already moving in to tackle Eisenhuth), leaving the bunnies winger both Bird and Lomax to contend with, Sloan passes to Lomax and he scores untouched in the corner. You can't see Lomax or the bunnies winger in this shot (the winger is running in at this stage leaving Lomax a saloon passage to the line). Hunt instead passes short to Fifita who gets smashed instantly. How can he not see that unfolding - he had time but I think he already had it in his head to give Fifita a run. Wrong option again Ben.

35th minute.png

Just finished watching the first half replay (had to go out) and noted a couple of things.
We went right 7 or 8 times and Hunt managed to take the wrong option nearly every time. I've posted the 2 man overlap he missed in the 2nd set and mentioned the 4 or 5 times he passed right when there was nothing happening that way and I just saw another try gone begging because Hunt had the blinkers on. Around the 35 minute mark we have shape to the right plenty of space and a two man overlap - as in this screen shot, Hunt should pass to Sloan who would have put on the afterburners to move right an attract the bunnies centre (the centre is already moving in to tackle Eisenhuth), leaving the bunnies winger both Bird and Lomax to contend with, Sloan passes to Lomax and he scores untouched in the corner. You can't see Lomax or the bunnies winger in this shot (the winger is running in at this stage leaving Lomax a saloon passage to the line). Hunt instead passes short to Fifita who gets smashed instantly. How can he not see that unfolding - he had time but I think he already had it in his head to give Fifita a run. Wrong option again Ben.

View attachment 84290
Yeah, I can see it, but can you see any potential Shepards?

I agree the worst option was Fifita unless it’s a setting up.

But it’s still 4 on 3, everyone on side.

OK I have only seen some highlights of the match. My stomach sunk watching South’s run away trys in second half.

. I never liked the Kyle signing. Looked good in his first year with Sharkes. Signed by Easts for a couple of seasons but pushed out? ( I think) and ended up at dogs In n out of favour. Now with us. I say he looks unremarkable; I hope not on big $$$.Apparently, did his best last night but I hope dad Shane doesnt hold him in firsts for the wrong reasons. The best teams have fast 5/8s ( eg Mam, Luau, Munster, Keary)
. Not sure if Tamale got a bit of a run? At least he has zip. Same with Finau; did he get a go or did the big winger from Manly stay on?

Hoping for the best
Yeah, I think the forum can be split into 4 groups:

1. Good outing, intent shown, no one injured, everyone got a go.

2. Was ok, but worrying signs and lack of depth is concerning.

3. Was ordinary, strike players succumbed to a second tier South’s side to start with.

4. I’ve been fed more crap about yet another building year. Bend over Tiger dullards, I’m not getting friendly, I’m looking for a wooden spoon.

HenryTatana

Juniors

Hoping for the best
Couldn’t agree more. My main takeaway was that Flanagan still is slow and shit. He is not our 5/8 solution.

kit66

Bench
Yeah, I can see it, but can you see any potential Shepards?

I agree the worst option was Fifita unless it’s a setting up.

But it’s still 4 on 3, everyone on side.

It's actually 4 on 2 because the bunnies player with the huge white strapping on his left leg is the one who tackles Fifita, leaving only the centre and wing. If Sloan gets it their centre can turn to confront Sloan (although Sloan could get outside him easy). All Sloan has to do is draw the centre and pass to Lomax. No shepherd, not even close. You can watch the replay on NRL.com- it's 42 minutes in and it was the last tackle in the set.

Latest posts