What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Rumours Thread

Slippery Morris

First Grade
I feel sorry for Feagai with all the negative comments he is copping. He scored a brilliant try against the Bronco's beating a few to the line and scored a last minute try against the Chooks with a great pick up. He has shown that he can play and is a local junior. Flanno will get the best out of him which we have seen in glimpses. Don't give up on him and please don't judge players under Hook. He coached the footy out of the players like he did at Panthers.

Last edited:

Parko1310

Juniors
I feel sorry for Feagai with all the negative comments he is copping. He scored a brilliant try against the Bronco's beating a few to the line and scored a last minute try against the Chooks with a great pick up. He has shown that he can play and is a local junior. Flanno will get the best out of him which we have seen in glimpses. Don't give up on him and please don't judge players under Hook. He coached the footy out of the players like he did at Panthers.
Can't forget that try he scored against Newcastle either in 2022 to seal a win. Had plenty of work to do to get to the line, absolutely lethal left foot step and beat a couple in a show of strength to get over. I've said a couple of times he was excellent in 2022 and not so good in 2023. People are quick to forget that in his first full year of first grade he really stepped up to the plate. People are also happy to bash him for rushing in off his wing, yet everyone loves Ravalawa who does the same thing. Make it make sense. Feagai was better than Ravalawa in 2022, and I really don't know what happened to him but he regressed in literally every single thing he was good at between '22 and '23. By the way, he had 19 line breaks in 2022 compared to only 8 in 2023, whilst being parked out on the wing. James Tedesco had 17 in 2022. Not comparing the two players ability, but 19 line breaks is fantastic. He didn't used to rush in off his wing, make errors or anything of that kind, he was extremely reliable. Maybe it was Griffin trying some stupid sort of system in which Flano said he didn't know what they were even trying to do. Not to mention, he didn't exactly get to showcase any skills sitting out on the left wing with Suli inside him who doesn't really pass. His job in the team in Griffin ball was just to be a battering ram coming out of our own end. We also don't know what's going on behind the scenes, because such a drop off doesn't make a heap of sense if everything is rosey. Anyway, currently it doesn't really seem like he's in Flano's future plans, but he was one of my favourite players in his rookie year. I hope wherever he ends up if not with us he does really well.

DfL

Juniors
Can't forget that try he scored against Newcastle either in 2022 to seal a win. Had plenty of work to do to get to the line, absolutely lethal left foot step and beat a couple in a show of strength to get over. I've said a couple of times he was excellent in 2022 and not so good in 2023. People are quick to forget that in his first full year of first grade he really stepped up to the plate. People are also happy to bash him for rushing in off his wing, yet everyone loves Ravalawa who does the same thing. Make it make sense. Feagai was better than Ravalawa in 2022, and I really don't know what happened to him but he regressed in literally every single thing he was good at between '22 and '23. By the way, he had 19 line breaks in 2022 compared to only 8 in 2023, whilst being parked out on the wing. James Tedesco had 17 in 2022. Not comparing the two players ability, but 19 line breaks is fantastic. He didn't used to rush in off his wing, make errors or anything of that kind, he was extremely reliable. Maybe it was Griffin trying some stupid sort of system in which Flano said he didn't know what they were even trying to do. Not to mention, he didn't exactly get to showcase any skills sitting out on the left wing with Suli inside him who doesn't really pass. His job in the team in Griffin ball was just to be a battering ram coming out of our own end. We also don't know what's going on behind the scenes, because such a drop off doesn't make a heap of sense if everything is rosey. Anyway, currently it doesn't really seem like he's in Flano's future plans, but he was one of my favourite players in his rookie year. I hope wherever he ends up if not with us he does really well.
I completely agree with you! Ramsey and M Feagai were the two shining lights from 22 apart from obviously hunts best season. I thought mat had everything going for him but rubbish systems killed their ability to flourish in the things they are good at.

Parko1310

Juniors
I completely agree with you! Ramsey and M Feagai were the two shining lights from 22 apart from obviously hunts best season. I thought mat had everything going for him but rubbish systems killed their ability to flourish in the things they are good at.
Agreed, and maybe long term, that's why he isn't really in Flano's plans. Flano loves a big outside back who can play that bash and barge game (in a much more effective way than Hook tried to do it). Mat makes decent metres coming out of our own end, but it's not the type of game that suits his style. Maybe that's why Flano has decided to move him to fullback in cup. As we know, we're putting in place the same systems and game plans all throughout our grades. Mat Feagai, more in the elusive mould of outside back is probably more suited to that Sloan role in the backline than say playing on the wing and playing that Lomax/Ravalawa role.

Last edited:

DfL

Juniors
Agreed, and maybe long term, that's why he isn't really in Flano's plans. Flano loves a big outside back who can play that bash and barge game (in a much more effective way than Hook tried to do it). Mat makes decent metres coming out of our own end, but it's not the type of game that suits his style. Maybe that's why Flano has decided to move him to fullback in cup. As we know, we're putting in place the same systems and game plans all throughout our grades. Mat Feagai, more in the elusive mould of outside back is probably more suited to that Sloan role in the backline than say playing on wing and playing that Lomax/Ravalawa role.
Yes I think Flanno sees enough in Mat to try him there in cup and honestly he’s had a really good game at fullback in cup.

Dragon David

First Grade
Agreed, and maybe long term, that's why he isn't really in Flano's plans. Flano loves a big outside back who can play that bash and barge game (in a much more effective way than Hook tried to do it). Mat makes decent metres coming out of our own end, but it's not the type of game that suits his style. Maybe that's why Flano has decided to move him to fullback in cup. As we know, we're putting in place the same systems and game plans all throughout our grades. Mat Feagai, more in the elusive mould of outside back is probably more suited to that Sloan role in the backline than say playing on wing and playing that Lomax/Ravalawa role.
Yes I think Flanno sees enough in Mat to try him there in cup and honestly he’s had a really good game at fullback in cup.
I wouldn't write Matt Feagai off. I think he will be a good back up for wing, centre and fullback. He will be a better player under better coaches that we now have.

Dragon David

First Grade
Wasn't Max the better of the 2 in the junior team's!
CC
They were both dominant through the grades but yes Max had massive wraps on him.
I suppose that they were shining lights as juniors playing in the Illawarra Steelers 2019 S G Ball team with Bud Sullivan, Treigh Stewart, Tyrell Sloan and Talatau Amone together with a few other prospects for the future. They were outstanding and won the grand final against the Sea Eagles in what was an exciting game.

1. Treigh Stewart, 2. Tyrell Sloan, 3. Aaron Schoupp, 4. Max Feagai, 5. Mathew Feagai, 6. Talatau Amone, 7. Jayden Sullivan, 8. Sean Payne, 9. Connor Muhleisen, 10. Blake Dowel, 11. Zach Herring, 12. Jackson Sherab, 13. Oscar Fitzpatrick, 14. Sam Hopper, 15. Phoenix Vetenibua-Finnerty, 16. Joshua Coric, 17. Trent Griffiths

Reserves: Ammon Munro, Jack Walsh, Billy Hayburn, Zane Boersma

ILLAWARRA WIN ABSOLUTE THRILLER TO CLAIM SG BALL PREMIERSHIP
Story By : Stuart Honeysett NSWRL Media
Photo's By Steve Montgomery / ourfooty media
Illawarra halfback Jayden Sullivan turned on a masterclass in the UNE SG Ball Grand Final at Bankwest Stadium on Saturday 4 May to get the Steelers home 34-23 in a thrilling match against the Manly Sea Eagles.
The scores were locked at 22-all with only eight minutes to go when Manly halfback Jamie Lawler landed a field goal from right in front of the posts to give the Sea Eagles a slender lead.
The Steelers refused to give in and benefitted from a freakish play after Illawarra five-eighth Talatau Amone put a kick through that rebounded off a Manly defender and was regathered by Steelers winger Tyrell Sloan. The next play Amone took on the line to put his side back in front 28-23.
There was still plenty of time left on the clock for the Sea Eagles but the Steelers ensured it would be their day when fullback Treigh Stewart sold the defence a dummy before racing away to score and spark wild celebrations behind the posts as players piled on top of each other.
"It's an unreal feeling to get the win," Amone said. "It's the best feeling of my life so far.
"Full credit to the boys, if they weren't there I would not have scored that try.
"We knew they were going to be tough and big in the middle but we just had to be tight and that's what we did. Listen to the coaches plan, follow it and look at what the outcome is."
The grand final lived up to expectations after both sides finished in the top two positions on the table but had failed to meet in the regular season after being posted on different sides of the draw in the 17-team competition.
The Steelers got off to the perfect start after halfback Jayden Sullivan put a deft grubber kick through for Aaron Schoupp to pounce on and score the opening try of the game.
Sullivan missed the conversion but more than made up for it after laying the groundwork for a spectacular 80-metre try. The Steelers No.7 found a gap in the Manly defence and sprinted upfield before picking up Schoupp in support who in turn passed back to Sullivan to finish it off.
The Sea Eagles needed something special to spark them into life and five-eighth Joshua Schuster provided it when he spilt the Illawarra defence before racing away to score underneath the posts and help reduce the deficit to 10-6.
The Steelers took charge again after prop Blake Dowel powered his way over the line from close range but the Sea Eagles stayed in touch after fullback Kaeo Weekes finished off a backline move to leave them trailing 18-10 just before the break.
Manly closed the margin again after Sione Fainu powered his way over the line before Sullivan took on the line again to score and extend the Steelers lead to 22-16.
"We just play with eyes up, we don't guess, we all know each other," Sullivan said. "We had a rough start to the season but to come out on top is just amazing.
"It was a risky play (for my first try), I didn't back myself with speed. I should've just taken the tackle but it came out good.
"I'm absolutely amazed. Without these boys I'd be nothing. Just because I'm captain doesn't mean I'm above anybody, we're just one team."
Ben Trbojevic displayed all the talent of his older brothers and Brydens Lawyers NSW Blues, Tom and Jake Trbojevic, when he busted the line before popping a pass away for Weekes to streak away, lock the scores up at 22-all and set the scene for a grandstand finish.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2024-02-27 at 2.05.00 pm.png
    Screen Shot 2024-02-27 at 2.05.00 pm.png
    1 MB · Views: 5

Mojo

Bench
I've always thought Feagai was pretty good with the ball in hand. The glaringly bad defence on the edges was obviously coached. I think it was based on a second line of cover supposed to be there but they were too unfit to ever be within coeee. In other words, the wingers were simply made to look like fools by poor coaching.

We didn't see it last weekend did we? Strategically it was always easily fixed. Operationally it needed a fit squad first and foremost.

Dragon David

First Grade
I've always thought Feagai was pretty good with the ball in hand. The glaringly bad defence on the edges was obviously coached. I think it was based on a second line of cover supposed to be there but they were too unfit to ever be within coeee. In other words, the wingers were simply made to look like fools by poor coaching.

We didn't see it last weekend did we? Strategically it was always easily fixed. Operationally it needed a fit squad first and foremost.
Putting aside the efforts of Price and Mary as the head coaches, Hook's selection as the coach from 2021-2023 was indeed an obvious mistake by the club. Prices coaching time was all poor, Mary's time was up and down with several exciting winning games thrown in but Hook was just plain rubbish and made most of the players go backwards and lacking in confidence and fitness. Thank goodness the Board finally had the balls to sack him and luckily for us Shane Flanagan was still available and happy to become our head coach (so good that Ryles turned us down).

TheRev

First Grade
I think ive been one of the few who felt the Feagais (Mat mostly) should have a clean slate for 2024, we dont know what sort of injuries they had, and everyone else gets one.. but certain players seem to black-listed by fans.

But I'm also really not fussed if Flanno wants to go in a different direction, mostly because they seem to have gotten bigger (and hence slower) and I dont really know what position they could play anymore.. Tamale has so much more skill ceiling to go as a centre.. Perhaps as a winger.. I mean Mat might well be the next guy back into 1st grade if there is an injury.. Depends how ready Sfinau is.. Not sure about Tui yet, seems rly error-riden, he needed a preseason with us.

But I dont rly really see the point in playing Feagai at fullback (although Im rly interested to see it) .. I think hes great under the bomb but im not sure he has the fitness or speed to get around and assist the backline.. but Flanno is the coach.. it probably also confirms what some others on here are saying, that Rumble will atleast start the year in Jersey Flegg... and if you take him away there is nobody else to cover fullback..... there is a really big depth hole behind Sloan/Ramsey and its really hurt us in 1st grade.

Last edited:

kit66

Bench
This has turned into the Feagais weren't so bad thread - fitting that it's actually the rumours thread then because talk of their "talent" falls firmly into the rumours realm.
The Feagais were terrible last year and not much better the year before. I honestly can't think of a worse pair of players in the entire NRL last year. Max is a total write off, even Hook knew that and Matt got a gig because we really had no-one else ready to step in (although we could have risked almost anyone for the same result or maybe better). Slow, stupid, totally lost in defence. Every week. There's some players you can argue performed only as well as they were coached like Lomax for example but the Feagais don't fit that category, no redemption for them I'm afraid. Cut them loose asap and go for speed and at least a little smarts. Please.

steerlerbab

Juniors

The fact that Matt was tried in both trials, means that Flanno has not written him off. It is up to him to shine in reserves and should there be an injury, he may find himself in FG (either wing or FB) and with modern it is high possibility. Max, however, will be gone. Allen is already signed for 2025 so they have to let one back go and Max will be the one.

Latest posts