What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Game Day - Once Were Warriors

glenmoresharkie

First Grade
Guilty of a bit of premature wrist slitting myself last night

But what a great win it turned out to be. Kennedy was MASSIVE last night

Quigs

Immortal
I watched and noted that the kiwis in their trial game the other weekend came out of the blocks at 100mph ( or 160.934kph), right from the get go. The were attempting to blow the Finns off the park

That really worried me leading into our game yesterday particularly as we as such dud starters.

At 12 nil and looking wobbly I though here goes. Near 70% of the pill and plenty of time to the break.

Thank the gods for Ramiens 50 metre solo try.

The early try after the resumption and it was on. I said to old mate when it was about four minutes left. "You know these pricks always seem to beat us in the last minutes"

I think it might of been a pleasant flight back home to Stringray Bay. I know I had a smile on me dial walking home from Old Mates.

And no far can Monte Carlos either. Times are tough

Quigs

Immortal
If you watch the replay of Trindall's front on tackle on DWZ or whatever his name is. DWZ ducks down in Tricky just before contact. It wasn't BT going high at all or attacking his head.

DWZ stoops into BT - I don't know what the bloke is meant to do, but all in all it was a great shot.

To be honest I am more worried about who-ever did the hip drop on Capewell. I watched it as Capewell offloaded a pass out wide in the backline. He went of later with the lower leg injury.

A few points stood out, that loss in finals last year may have hit them like it should.

Katoa makes that run down the wing, dosent try to go around makes slight adjustment in field into the fullback and takes the tackle, he didn't try in field kick.
We score from next tackle.

Ronaldo try he got down low to score no showboating, remember game 1 last season body to high get taken into touch.
Maybe they have learnt

Kennedy took a few hit ups tackle 4, found some metres when he did this.
Blayke made the odd run still need more of this, needs middle going forward though.

Is Finucane still injured ?? 20 minutes only

Eion

First Grade
Was it my imagination, or did Fitz play Toby a little wider than usual?

If so, good move.
I’d need to watch it again. Also seemed to see nikora bobbing up closer to the middle than usual. But that dude is a f**ken beast in D, so maybe he was scuttling around covering.

Poss

Juniors
So are you not allowed to tap the ball back from a kick anymore? You have to try and catch it? That will change the game a lot. Every short drop out etc.

WK got penalised later on the first half for attempting to talk back a bomb

Reactions: PJ

Frenzy.

Immortal
Leeds…. Started my love affair with the Sharks when ET had his guest stints at Leeds - he was like a god. All RL players in England back then were white, a bit fat, with shit short curly hair and even shitter mustaches, then this bronzed god arrived, who was super quick, super slick and who even all the blokes in the crowd fancied - he was incredible . My old man somehow got hold of a match worn ET Sharks jersey, and that was me bought in for life.

We had one of those pre the ET era. All hail Vince Farrar! From down the road in Pontefract

Frenzy.

Immortal
Were my eyes deceiving me or has will k learnt how to tackle over the off season. Noticed a couple of good ones.
Remains to be seen. He was very good last night. Got bamboozled by Metcalfe when he scored but so did 3 others and that try was brilliant and not many teams were stopping that. Does he seem a bit better developed in upper body musculature?

His tackle on Jackson Ford was first rate 1 on 1 on the line. Was about the same time as the momentum started swinging. I reckon that tackle gave the team a big boost.

Was 10 x better than Edwards in the next game and he was lauded as the best thing since sliced bread in a losing, shit woeful team

BTW. What was the best thing before sliced bread?

DJDL

Bench
So are you not allowed to tap the ball back from a kick anymore? You have to try and catch it? That will change the game a lot. Every short drop out etc.

Yeah that was a new one on me.
They just make this shit up on the fly.

Craigshark

First Grade

My understanding was they said he jumped “too early.” So in other words distracted the warriors fullback from catching it. Was a load of shit.

Weaponhead

Coach
Great game for Hynes and Trindall's development. To win off the back foot against a good side away from home with significantly less possession, metres gained and field position is huge. Both stuck to basics, defend well, organise and kick long. Didn't look for trick plays or push passes.

We know that Hynes loves to play fast and on the ball. This game needed grit, and a cool head. He showed that. Trick did a lot of clean up showing his footy nous on the defensive end and cut out the low percentage flashy stuff. Good signs for both.

Frenzy.

Immortal
Possibly our best win under Fitz so far imo. First 5 pages of the thread were priceless. Frenzy was about the only one not writing off the season 😂As others have mentioned...some of the defensive efforts of WK and Nicho were sensational. Dont reckon i've never seen a player with better hand/eye coordination and reflexes than Tricky. Those two in-goal groundings were priceless and he consistently intercepts sharp grubbers in other games. The other play that impressed me was Sifa getting off the deck to take the return pass off ronnie for his try. Not many big fellas could/would do that. Tommy has continued to develop and will only keep getting better. Massive win and confidence builder.but essential that they back it up next week.

That was worth 2 x 1%ers

He just keeps on proving he's a centre. There are dozens or more "athletic" types in the NRL who simply can't do what he does out there. It would be a big loss for the team's function to lose all his silk by moving him to the pigs yet.

Poss

Juniors
My understanding was they said he jumped “too early.” So in other words distracted the warriors fullback from catching it. Was a load of shit.
Nah I just watched the replay. WK and Nicho were arguing that he was trying to tap it back and the ref said you need to make a genuine attempt to catch the ball. Nicho asked “since when?” And the ref said it was one of the new rules this year. Nicho rolled his eyes and said “oh come on”

If the NRL want to change something, be it players not questioning ref decision, unless it's a challenge.
The players question everything.

I did notice all our players stop when ball was dropped we thought knock on by Warriors, they would have all been taught play to the whistle, I was always told that when first started playing in mid 70's can't see how it would have changed

Frenzy.

Immortal
His on-field performances are really going to come under scrutiny this year. I hate to say it, but he looks cooked.

I suspect he gets the Wade Graham role this year. Don't think he'll get many 30 minute+ games. There for other things.