What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rugby Australia to target top NRL talent

Stage 1 of obvious elaborate rort complete….

And the media narrative is already working - people are saying ‘we should be doing anything to keep a player like Manu in our game….. where’s the warchest blah blah blah’… And when the rort is complete and he’s returned to the Roosters on his cut price deal, the majority will conveniently have forgotten how the roosters now have their man on a way below market value contract, and everyone will just be delighted he’s back, as it proves Union is shit and league is amazing…. Everyone is happy,

There may not be any rorting planned after all. Based on early reports I thought it was a 1yr deal, but later reports have shown its for 2yrs.

He probably has an exit clause after the first year in case things turn to shit or his family doesn't settle, but based on him signing a 2yr deal to begin with, I think he's giving this a proper crack.

And with Hansen involved, its almost certain that a potential path to the All Blacks was laid out as part of the contract discussions as well.

taste2taste

Juniors
Stage 1 of obvious elaborate rort complete….

And the media narrative is already working - people are saying ‘we should be doing anything to keep a player like Manu in our game….. where’s the warchest blah blah blah’… And when the rort is complete and he’s returned to the Roosters on his cut price deal, the majority will conveniently have forgotten how the roosters now have their man on a way below market value contract, and everyone will just be delighted he’s back, as it proves Union is shit and league is amazing…. Everyone is happy,
The NRL have said in the past, players can't play Japanese Rugby and NRL in the same year.

It's not possible to rort the system using Japanese Rugby, otherwise Hass, Walsh, NAS ... etc would all be doing it.

taste2taste

Juniors
Manu isn’t playing int union so he’s lost to their code

he’s doing it to top up his next rooters contract

I don't think money is quite the issue for him. Yes he can earn more by going to RU, but based on what he has said publicly I think he just wants a new challenge of doing something different, and he doesn't want to play for another NRL club. He knows if he stayed at the Roosters, financially he'd be looked after.

I agree with you, he'll probably come back after 2 seasons of Union. He'll only be 29-30 if that occurs.

I don't think money is quite the issue for him. Yes he can earn more by going to RU, but based on what he has said publicly I think he just wants a new challenge of doing something different, and he doesn't want to play for another NRL club. He knows if he stayed at the Roosters, financially he'd be looked after.

I agree with you, he'll probably come back after 2 seasons of Union. He'll only be 29-30 if that occurs.
If he does well in those 2years, NZR will come knocking. I actually think that's the plan Hansen has hatched for him.

2 years with Verblitz and if he does well, sign with NZR to play NPC in mid '26, head away on the AB EOY tour so Robertson and co can have a closer look at him, play for the Chiefs in '27 SR, push for a WC spot.

Wb1234

Referee

Maybe
Dragons did offer him 1.2 million same as union

I suspect if teddy has retired early and he for the fullback spot and 1 million he’d have stayed

Wb1234

Referee
If he does well in those 2years, NZR will come knocking. I actually think that's the plan Hansen has hatched for him.

2 years with Verblitz and if he does well, sign with NZR to play NPC in mid '26, head away on the AB EOY tour so Robertson and co can have a closer look at him, play for the Chiefs in '27 SR, push for a WC spot.
If rts didn’t get a decent shot neither will manu

rts is at least as good as manu if not imo way better

If rts didn’t get a decent shot neither will manu

rts is at least as good as manu if not imo way better

Someone else asked the same question earlier in this thread and we kicked around a few differences that play in Manu’s favour.

1) Starting in Japan gives him a better grounding than RTS got who had to jump straight into SR after covid cancelled his planned NPC intro. That set back his development massively IMO.
2) Manu is a bigger body which better suits playing as an RU midfielder (if that's where he wants to end up)

But most importantly, Ian Foster has already said he sees Manu as an outside back initially, with a move to midfield maybe later down the track. Which in hindsight, would've been a better approach for RTS as well.

Wb1234

Referee
Someone else asked the same question earlier in this thread and we kicked around a few differences that play in Manu’s favour.

1) Starting in Japan gives him a better grounding than RTS got who had to jump straight into SR after covid cancelled his planned NPC intro. That set back his development massively IMO.
2) Manu is a bigger body which better suits playing as an RU midfielder (if that's where he wants to end up)

But most importantly, Ian Foster has already said he sees Manu as an outside back initially, with a move to midfield maybe later down the track. Which in hindsight, would've been a better approach for RTS as well.
If two years of Japanese union is enough to get him a starting spot in the all blacks good luck to him

I just don’t see. Nz union picking league players these days despite their talent

rts couldn’t make super rugby and yet always is as good as he ever was

If two years of Japanese union is enough to get him a starting spot in the all blacks good luck to him

I just don’t see. Nz union picking league players these days despite their talent

rts couldn’t make super rugby and yet always is as good as he ever was
No that’s not what I said.

I said his Japanese stint would give a better grounding than what RTS got.

Still lots of other things have to go right to make the squad, let alone win a starting spot.

Chimp

Bench
He’ll be back (as they all do), just with a heavier wallet and a below market value contract with the Roosters. Guaranteed.

Penrith fan

Juniors
Joey Manu started being aware of this strange disconnect more and more with the Roosters.

He felt indifferent at training and at the Club parties and social events. When everyone around him looked like they were having fun, Joey Manu had to put on a mask. His emotions — both happy and sad — were flatlining.

Then he realised he had never achieved his grandfathers' final wish.

For Joey Manu to be an All Bleak.

Joey Manu is now counting his blessings and he has stop being such a miserable cow.

First the riches of Japanese Rugby Union and then possible All Bleak glory.

taste2taste

Juniors
Joey Manu is now counting his blessings and he has stop being such a miserable cow.

First the riches of Japanese Rugby Union and then possible All Bleak glory.
Riches ?? He's getting paid the same as the Dragons and Warriors offered him lol

And yes, he was very average last year, an absolute turnstile in defence, he's had 2 good games this year and now that's he's signed we'll see of he keeps up the same effort.