What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Zac Lomax

Slippery Morris

First Grade
A lot of people say that Saints are losing Lomax to free's up all this cash to bring in a marquee signing. That is not guaranteed. They could not even land AFB who was a junior and were offering more cash than what the Sharks offered. Manu would rather go to Rugby. Conner Tracey chose Dogs (not that he is a marquee) etc. Saints cannot land any players unless they are unwanted by other clubs. If Saints end up with no marquee on the back of losing a potential marquee and star of the game, then that is dumb planning. They should have someone in mind to replace Lomax surely.

Lomax leaving Saints for 200-225k less than what Saints where paying him, says more about Saints having a bad culture and wanting to get out than Saints being able to bringing in a marquee which probably won't happen. It's a lot of money to give up a year. Imagine what other players are thinking having a guy throwing away that much cash to get out of there. If you were a looking to go to Saints wouldn't you want to speak to Zac to see why he wants out so bad? If Zac makes Origin, I am sure he will be asked by the players in camp which will then spread. This will probably make it even harder to bring in a top gun.

Harry Bath

Juniors
A lot of people say that Saints are losing Lomax to free's up all this cash to bring in a marquee signing. That is not guaranteed. They could not even land AFB who was a junior and were offering more cash than what the Sharks offered. Manu would rather go to Rugby. Conner Tracey chose Dogs (not that he is a marquee) etc. Saints cannot land any players unless they are unwanted by other clubs. If Saints end up with no marquee on the back of losing a potential marquee and star of the game, then that is dumb planning. They should have someone in mind to replace Lomax surely.

Lomax leaving Saints for 200-225k less than what Saints where paying him, says more about Saints having a bad culture and wanting to get out than Saints being able to bringing in a marquee which probably won't happen. It's a lot of money to give up a year. Imagine what other players are thinking having a guy throwing away that much cash to get out of there. If you were a looking to go to Saints wouldn't you want to speak to Zac to see why he wants out so bad? If Zac makes Origin, I am sure he will be asked by the players in camp which will then spread. This will probably make it even harder to bring in a top gun.
Agree 100% ,something is really fishy, no sane person would give up that much money ! there has to be either a big Brown paper bag with Shortfall crypto funds or there is a really toxic culture at the Dragons that is being covered up!

AyiosYiorgos

Coach

Ever thought that maybe Lomax is part of the "bad culture" ..

Wolfgang90

Juniors
Ever thought that maybe Lomax is part of the "bad culture" ..

Yet everyone says he's one of the hardest trainers, returned to pre-season earlier than required, a competitive beast & was one of the prominent faces of the dragons marketing adverts but yea he's part of the "bad culture"...

Zac likely made up his mind in the pre-season when he didn't really get a shot at fullback which Flanno said he would in the media. He's heard it all before from previous coaches & likely didn't want to go through something similar. He might've even seen the Luke Brooks situation at the Tigers & didn't want to waste away in a similar situation. It might work out for him or it might not...

Imo Flanno saw Zac was steadfast in his decision & thought he was a replaceable player unlike Hunt. He might be right, he might be wrong but the decision has been made.

"Bad culture" when all indications say otherwise is pettiness from fans...

Mojo

Bench
Yet everyone says he's one of the hardest trainers, returned to pre-season earlier than required, a competitive beast & was one of the prominent faces of the dragons marketing adverts but yea he's part of the "bad culture"...

Zac likely made up his mind in the pre-season when he didn't really get a shot at fullback which Flanno said he would in the media. He's heard it all before from previous coaches & likely didn't want to go through something similar. He might've even seen the Luke Brooks situation at the Tigers & didn't want to waste away in a similar situation. It might work out for him or it might not...

Imo Flanno saw Zac was steadfast in his decision & thought he was a replaceable player unlike Hunt. He might be right, he might be wrong but the decision has been made.

"Bad culture" when all indications say otherwise is pettiness from fans...
I agree with both sides. Two facts, often contradictory, can be true.

It’s not exactly helping the culture of the club whose paying you $825k-$875k over the next four years…to be seen asking for a second helping of Lamb stew in a rival coaches dining room while you negotiate a pay cut.

Dragon David

First Grade

I'm in agreement with all of what you have said here Slippery. I'm worried that we will go through the Rejects and Journeymen signings again as it looks bad that Lomax will be going for less to leave the club and all Managers will put that to any player coming on the market to "steer clear" of the Dragons especially if we cannot get a like player the calibre of Lomax if not better.

I'm truly worried.

I'm in agreement with all of what you have said here Slippery. I'm worried that we will go through the Rejects and Journeymen signings again as it looks bad that Lomax will be going for less to leave the club and all Managers will put that to any player coming on the market to "steer clear" of the Dragons especially if we cannot get a like player the calibre of Lomax if not better.

I'm truly worried.
Yes, that’s another reason why Lomax needs to own this and no one else.

Footy mate at work, said if we are looking at Futures, SGI has better prospects than the eels as their marquees are going to age and they don’t have the talent coming through.

He thinks Zac has erred if he’s hoping for a premiership with the eels.

Dylan is about as low as he will go for an early swap for Zac at this point.

Last edited:

True_Believer

Juniors
It's a lot of money to give up a year. Imagine what other players are thinking having a guy throwing away that much cash to get out of there. If you were a looking to go to Saints wouldn't you want to speak to Zac to see why he wants out so bad?
So what does players like Molo and Su'a outwardly indicating they want to stay because they love it here say about the club? What does the about face with Hunt say? I mean there are more examples of players saying they want to stay (and current/former SOO players at that) that gives the impression that the club is starting to build a great culture. Shit you wouldn't have seen anything like that with Hook in charge.

You can see the change in the team and the improvement in the general sentiment of the playing group. They genuinely look happy on the field and you can tell they are enjoying playing together.

I don't think this changes anything. Until we start winning and showing more consistency (which we can do with or without Lomax), we'll never attract quality players unless we pay them exorbitant money. It's the reality of being a team in the bottom half of the ladder.

I mean to me this says more about the attitude of Lomax than anything the club is or isn't doing.

KingFlanno7

Juniors
Parra done us a favour, he is no where near worth the rumoured 800+ thousand we wouldve been paying him for the next 2 years, parra are paying overs as it is. He has been playing well, but its not hard to look good in a team like ours at the moment and he was definately apart of the culture problem, he was proud to say he was the cook at the famous bbq, while taking the piss out of the coach on fletch and hindy. Just immature rubbish and i am not one bit sad about him moving on, flanno is here to make change, thats just one piece to the puzzle.

Veteran Dragon

Juniors
He never proved himself as a centre and Flanno making him play on the wing has put him in SOO contention. If he fails at centre Parramatta will soon put him on the wing which quite obviously is his best position. If he does not like being told what to do how will he cope with renowned hot heads Moses and Gutherson barking orders at him. The grass is always greener theory more often than not doesn’t hold water when it comes to discontented player wanting out of a club.

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
Done and dusted:

View attachment 86698
With my imminent winnings, a slap up meal of lamb stew.

Warning:

Gamble only what you can afford to lose.
Man the TAB are slick.

I just scanned that image at the kiosk at my local sports bar to try and cash it out, and they only offered me $8.

I’ll have to try again in a month or so.

Here I was thinking you put $10 on at the TAB today for Zac to join the Eels
Yes, Im sure I will be late to my funeral.

I’ve thrown my lot in with Flanno and Zac to make footy amends and somehow limp into the finals.

If you factor in the bye, you should be coming 7th, pretty impressive.

There’s a few things to fix up. Defence and completion rates. The f& a is a bit of a concern, but not fatal.

So you’re not too far off the pace.

According to the pundits, you are supposed to coming last.

Plus we’ve all seen a number of those perpetually mighty sides under pressure this year. Cracks appearing and about time too.

Last edited:

since77

Juniors
Lomax leaving Saints for 200-225k less than what Saints where paying him, says more about Saints having a bad culture and wanting to get out
Not at all. It represents a new culture being brought in by a premiership winning coach in which a player who has underachieved most of his career has been allowed to leave because he doesn't want to be part of building it.
He's going to Parra FFS - a club with a recent history of salary cap cheating and consistent failure to achieve success since the late 80's. I wouldn't call that an attractive culture.

Rocket Rod

Juniors
Not at all. It represents a new culture being brought in by a premiership winning coach in which a player who has underachieved most of his career has been allowed to leave because he doesn't want to be part of building it.
He's going to Parra FFS - a club with a recent history of salary cap cheating and consistent failure to achieve success since the late 80's. I wouldn't call that an attractive culture.
Either Zac can’t count the diff between 850-650 or more than likely I smell a rat