What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

An AFL club starting an NRL Franchise: Could this ever be a possibility.

shadowformz

Juniors
Okay, now I know that this would probably be the realms of possibility, but I'm keen to get people's opinions on this. Imagine an NRL franchise with one of these teams colours and brand name. Geelong Cats, Essendon Bombers........ Collingwood Magpies. Paris Saint Germain is a multi sport team club, perhaps one of these could be too. Let's through this thought around a bit

bazza

Immortal
there are a few examples of recent history of established NRL/AFL teams starting another team in another sport

Parra, Carlton and Collingwood I think all tried soccer
Collington tried with netball

In these cases the new club struggled for various reasons and ended up being wound up to not detract from the main sporting business

Perth Red

Post Whore
there are a few examples of recent history of established NRL/AFL teams starting another team in another sport

In these cases the new club struggled for various reasons and ended up being wound up to not detract from the main sporting business
Storm have a netball team in Qlnd. Not really sure why but they do lol

PSG once had a SL club, for a brief moment in time.

Perth Red

Post Whore
At a local level we had a Union club start up a league club in Perth, didnt last long lol It soon went pear shaped and the league club broke off and set up their own club.

Other Union/League marriages that failed miserably would include the Harlequins and London Broncos. Lasted 5 years before divorce.

flippikat

Bench

Yeah, it just seems like a bad idea... because it instantly turns-off potential fans that don't like the "parent club".

Especially if the spin-off club is in the same city as the parent club.

MugaB

Coach
I'm surprised AFL Red hasn't enthusiastically endorsed his beloved dorkers or west coke druggos entering an nrl team.
Probably the only way they might get a perf team entered into NRL, More chance of it anyways,
Screenshot_20230517-211833_Gallery.jpg
aswell as too stupid to link with the bears

Last edited: