What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Tigers to pay Sandow special attention

[SIZE=-1]http://rabbitohs.nospam2248.com/index.cgi?board=sff&action=post&thread=45733&quote=634902&page=1 [/SIZE]Tigers to pay Sandow special attention
By Liam FitzGibbon
July 17, 2008 WESTS Tigers coach Tim Sheens will order his forwards to target South Sydney halfback Chris Sandow in Sunday's NRL match in a bid to break the rookie's soaring confidence.

The Rabbitohs are on a five-game winning streak, with the form of Sandow playing a huge part in their dramatic turnaround from a dismal start to the season.

With the 19-year-old continuing to earn praise each week, Sheens said it was time opposition teams focussed more on limiting his impact in the game.

“Young Sandow has got under the radar a little bit and I think and all of a sudden everyone's saying, 'Oh hang on, this kid can play' in respect to his kicking game and those sort of things,” Sheens said.

“He's got a good little leg speed and he scores a try if you don't pay him the respect.

“So sides will now, as we have to, start to put him a little bit under the pump as far as pressuring his kicking game and pressuring his ball-playing game.

“As a young bloke he's very confident at the moment but you've got to kill that confidence in him.”

The ANZ Stadium match looms as a crucial one for both sides' finals hopes with the Tigers sitting just outside the top eight and the Rabbitohs making a charge towards it.

The Rabbitohs can join Wests on 18 competition points with a win on Sunday while Sheens' team could move back into the top eight with victory.

Sheens has named Robbie Farah at halfback for the clash in place of injured Mathew Head, with John Morris to share the hooking role with Stuart Flanagan.

The coach was excited at the prospect of Farah linking up with Kiwi superstar Benji Marshall in the halves.

“It does (excite me) because the two boys are best of mates and they understand the game very well, they're very intelligent players,” Sheens said.

Tigers skipper Brett Hodgson is in doubt for the match due to a leg strain suffered in Monday's loss to Melbourne.

Sheens is likely to give Hodgson right up until game day to prove his fitness, with young utility Tim Moltzen on standby in case he is ruled out.

Aaron_sfas

Juniors
ha. sorry sheensy, we're not the sort of team you can destroy by shutting down one player... assuming they manage to sandow, we have wing, luke and sutto. bring it.

rabs

Staff member
Farah has usually been poor at first receiver, hope they play him there all game

Zetland Rabbit

Juniors
Isn't this the team with the most piss poor smallest forward pack in the comp?? They should worry about protecting Benji and Farrah more then anything else.

Souths by 50

macnaz

Staff member
Isn't this the team with the most piss poor smallest forward pack in the comp?? They should worry about protecting Benji and Farrah more then anything else.

Souths by 50

Ill hold you to that dumb quote..by 50 bahhahaha . But i certainly would back Souths to win, i reckon by a point in extra time, thats the sort of season the Tigers are having .

colonel_123

Juniors
Isn't this the team with the most piss poor smallest forward pack in the comp??

That's Sandow on the ground after getting run over right?

tigers4_gallery__470x294.jpg

http://www.leaguehq.com.au/ffximage/2008/07/20/tigers4_gallery__470x294.jpg

tiger_nick

Bench
Credit to Sandow, yes he was used as a speedhunp by Laurie but seriously anyone his size would be. The guy didnt take a backward step and put his body on the line, which is all you can ask.

The Tigers had a good game plan (for once) to keep Sandow quiet and exploit him in defence. Other teams will take note from this.

hitman82

Bench
That photo is brilliant. Is the Souths fullback attempting to harnass the full power of gravity in his vain attempt to contain Collossus? Laurie is such a monster, and no shame on Sandow, the exact same thing happens to big forwards who try to tackle that guy. What a nightmare.

Digeze

Juniors
From what I saw yesterday Sandow is going to be a very good FG. Would like him at the tigers

I agree, the guy was 100% effort, can't ask for much more.

Despite the stories that he was dropped from the Titans for being lazy at training etc etc....he sure isn't showing any signs of that at Souths.

alien

Referee
wests had a good game plan, run great daine @ sandow. sandow will be having nightmares of great daine for a week...

Aaron_sfas

Juniors
That photo is brilliant. Is the Souths fullback attempting to harnass the full power of gravity in his vain attempt to contain Collossus? Laurie is such a monster, and no shame on Sandow, the exact same thing happens to big forwards who try to tackle that guy. What a nightmare.

is a good photo.. but merrit DID get him down i'll have you know