What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Fans to meet Gallop in forum

adamkungl

Immortal
Imo biggest issue other than Gallop himself, is the culture of 'casual fans' not going to games. An example, back at school, my grade had loads of Parra fans, being in the parra district. All of them were lucky to get to one game a year. There's too many League 'fans' who claim to be supporters of a team but don't actually bother going to games, ever.

A lame PR stunt. "Select" fans, asking select questions too no doubt. I know a guy who works in my company who was one of the fans. I didn't even know he really followed the footy at all and yet he's going to a forum with the NRL?

PS: notice that the DT has a poll about what is the biggets issue facing RL (I think it's actually the NRL, rather than RL as if the NRL IS RL) and believe it or not "News Ltd" is not one of the options.

adamkungl

Immortal
A lame PR stunt. "Select" fans, asking select questions too no doubt. I know a guy who works in my company who was one of the fans. I didn't even know he really followed the footy at all and yet he's going to a forum with the NRL?

PS: notice that the DT has a poll about what is the biggets issue facing RL (I think it's actually the NRL, rather than RL as if the NRL IS RL) and believe it or not "News Ltd" is not one of the options.

I don't think the selection of fans is problematic. Roosters was asking for volunteers from the chook pen I think.

El Diablo

Post Whore
http://www.leaguehq.com.au/news/new...tled-supporters/2008/11/06/1225561044081.html

No elephants, but many disgruntled supporters

Glenn Jackson | November 7, 2008

Fans were frank when they spoke at a special NRL forum yesterday, writes Glenn Jackson.

Armed with a Roy Masters article, and admittedly, a slight grudge, Shane Spruce had one topic he wanted to engage NRL bosses in yesterday, as supporters met the suits. As he termed it, "the elephant in the room".

"[The forum] was about getting across what matters to members, things like refereeing," Spruce said afterwards, clutching the cut-out of the Herald article as he pitched his case to it.

"But it doesn't really go to the heart of the matter, which is the conflict of interest in the game, and the game not reaching its full potential because of it. The CEO can't even really stand up for the game because he's trying to serve two masters, and I think we know which side his bread's buttered on."

And if you haven't caught up on the news, it's News. Limited that is, the right hand of the NRL that yields the biggest slap of the partnership group, which it shares with the Australian Rugby League.

And what Spruce was spruiking, at the first fans forum, was that News Ltd's stake in the game, and its stake in Foxtel, the game's pay-TV broadcaster, was a conflict of interest. "We just want transparency," he said. "We just want to know we're getting the best deal."

And so amidst a discussion that ranged from player behaviour to refereeing to the salary cap, the controversial rights deals became a central issue. NRL chief executive David Gallop, for his part, conceded the conflict, but defended the master.

"Without News Ltd, there'd be no Melbourne, there'd be no Townsville, and there'd probably be no Canberra," Gallop said. "They're not interested in shackling the game. They do have a potential conflict, and we're not walking away from it, but they want to make the game prosperous."

Spruce is a solicitor who runs one of Newcastle's supporter groups. As such, he admitted he had a personal motivation, relating to the scars left from Super League.

"We're not looking for recriminations," he said. "We had guys involved in our club who were involved in Super League - Michael Hagan and Mark Sargent. We're not looking to look backwards. But we need to acknowledge the scars are there and you can't pretend everything's rosy. I'm really positive about the game, but there's a lot of potential that's being unrealised."

While some in the game argue the presence of News Ltd among the stakeholders and their role in the rights deals are part of an agenda driven by this newspaper, the view from the hill, clearly on show yesterday, would suggest otherwise.

"I said to my guys, 'I'm coming here, what do you want me to bring up?"' Spruce said. "The two things they said were conflict of interest and scheduling. And one comes from the other. The reason we have to bend over backwards to placate Channel Nine is because we don't get enough from News Ltd."

That brings us to scheduling - which allows supporters to know the where and when of NRL games, sometimes, just five weeks before the round. That will change in 2012 when all the existing broadcasting deals expire, according to Gallop, who added the game would be in a "great position to cut and dice it the way we want to".

"The next move is to move to the AFL system [of scheduling every game in the preseason] and that's what our plan is to do," Gallop said.

Elsewhere, chief operating officer Graham Annesley conceded the league needed to "drag back" the video referees' powers "because it's imposing on the game". Gallop said the league was still a "fair way off" inviting Perth or Adelaide into the premiership.

Asked about disciplining players, Gallop said the NRL would resist the urge to take control of off-field sanctioning in a bid to have more uniformity.

"The days of sweeping things under the carpet are over," Gallop said. As Spruce would say, it's all about transparency.

seems one of our fellow forumers is turning into a celeb

he was on TV tonight too

pity the article doesn't have anything about what Gallop had to say. did he say anything or just sit there and go
gallopcup7.jpg
??

El Diablo

Post Whore
http://www.news.com.au/couriermail/sport/nrl/story/0,26746,24612588-5003409,00.html

NRL reveals future plans to fans

By Steve Mascord | November 06, 2008 11:00pm

NRL officials yesterday told club members of plans to help teams keep long-term players, rein in video referees and reduce the influence of coaches in rule-making.

A room full of fan representatives yesterday challenged CEO David Gallop on broadcasting, wrestling, refereeing, player misbehaviour and ownership at a two-and-a-half hour Sydney Football Stadium talkfest.

Graham Annesley, the league's chief operating officer, said dithering video referees made him want to "throw things at the television".

"I agree that it's an issue," said Annesley.

"It's something we will discuss at our conference next week. We need to drag that in a bit because it is imposing on the game."

Gallop revealed an embryonic proposal to give concessions to players who reach 100 or 150 matches for the same club.

He said the NRL might "make contributions to a player's income", but later said only salary cap concessions would be considered.
Related Links

"We all want to see the Steve Menzies type of player," he said.

Annesley said future rule and interpretation changes would involve more than just club coaches.

"I think we recognised they shouldn't be the only people involved in these decisions," he said.

"Next week at our annual conference, we have a much wider cross-section of opinion."

Pressed by fans on television contracts, Gallop said the NRL received "between 40 and 45 million dollars" from Fox Sports and another $15 million from Sky New Zealand, which he said compared well with AFL's pay television deal. He said the AFL's free-to-air deal was larger because of their national reach and "as we all know, Kerry (Packer) was two days away from his deathbed".

After abandoning support for a shorter season three years ago, he seemed to return to his original position in saying: "I would advocate a shorter club season somehow."

At one point a supporter said to Gallop "the media are running the game" - to which he replied "yeah, well, they're paying a lot of money."

Several fans complained about not knowing the entire year's match allocation in advance.

"The game has evolved to the point where the next television deal we do, we'll be able to do that," Gallop said, adding that would not be until 2013."

Under heavy questioning from 28-year-old Shane Spruce of Valentine, who said Channel Nine's treatment of the game in some parts of Australia was a "disgrace", the NRL boss said he would not force channels to show live games in hostile markets.

"I don't think we should force our game on to television and then have it smashed in the ratings. That would not serve the game well," he said.

The CEO added: "Rugby league has lost the North Shore because the Bears don't have the presence there."

Gallop tabled statistics that showed this year membership had increased by 24 per cent, State of Origin enjoyed its best ratings ever, playing numbers had increased three per cent to 445,000 and sponsorship totalled $23 million.

Marketing manager Paul Kind said the NRL would spend $250,000 next year on promoting membership.

One fan said: "When will we see a reduction in the wrestling?"

Annesley replied that it would be closely monitored.

Some fans called for greater uniformity of punishment for off-field atrocities but Cronulla chief executive Tony Zappia said: "No two situations are the same."

Gallop added: "The days of sweeping things under the carpet are gone." Colin McMillan, 72, of Picnic Point, said: "I have been going to see the Tigers for 71 years and it looks like we have bred a generation of knockers and whingers.

"When the match of the day was at the Sydney Cricket Ground, hardly anyone would whinge about the standard of refereeing."

But Gallop said that complaining about match officials was "uniquely Australian".

"In America they are different. They have a salute-the-flag mentality," he said.

Fans had been flown in from country areas of New South Wales and Queensland as well as Canberra, Auckland and Melbourne.

El Diablo

Post Whore
http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/story/0,25197,24613510-5012431,00.html

Fans say time up for video referees

Brent Read | November 07, 2008

DAVID Gallop had every reason to be nervous yesterday. Confronted by a room full of fans -- two from each of the 16 clubs -- Gallop was in the firing line.

Four hours later the NRL boss emerged unscathed. But referees, the salary cap, broadcasters and the game's structure were left battered and bruised.

The mood among the hand-picked group of supporters was an amalgam of cynicism, frustration and genuine concern. Much of the vitriol was directed at the video referees, whose influence on the game is set to be wound back next season.

NRL chief operating officer Graham Annesley conceded as much yesterday, an acknowledgement that officials were also becoming frustrated with the inconsistencies and time consumed by video decisions.

"I think at the moment we have to drag that back a little because it's imposing on the game," Annesley said.

In relation to referees constantly using the video official, Annesley said: "They have to have the confidence to back their own judgment."

Ironically, former South Sydney captain Mario Fenech, a man who spent much of his career locking horns with referees, was among their most strident supporters yesterday.

"It's a tough job to be a referee," Fenech said.

"Fancy me sticking up for referees."

To which Annesley, a former referee, responded: "You always stuck it up me."

It wasn't the only moment of levity during the marathon session at the Sydney Football Stadium, designed to provide a cross-section of fans with an insight into the game's mechanics.

Colin McMillian, a 71-year-old who watched his first game on the Leichhardt Oval hill at the age of two, joined Fenech in defending the referees. McMillian complained the game had bred a generation of "whingers and knockers".

Some were in the room. While referees were high on the agenda, they weren't the only source of fan angst.

Complaints over the salary cap and its effect on ageing players prompted Gallop to reveal the NRL had considered a loyalty bonus for players once they reached a certain number of games.

The plan would involve a one-off salary cap exemption to clubs as players reached milestones, such as 100 and 200 games. It sounded good in theory, but Gallop conceded it was unlikely to see the light of day as the meeting broke for lunch.

The NRL also confirmed it would look to follow the AFL and set its draw in stone when the next television deal came to fruition. That was the good news for fans. The bad news is they will have to wait until the end of 2012 for the existing deal to run out.

While the television deal is untouchable, so are wrestling coaches. Asked about the ongoing influence of wrestling on the NRL, Annesley conceded banning coaches would be a logistical nightmare.

"We can't ban wrestling coaches because how do you enforce it," he said.

"We just have to remain vigilant."

It wasn't the only area off limits. Gallop also dismissed the notion of the NRL taking over the punishment of errant players and defended the process which led to the television deal, often maligned because it pales in comparison to the money received by the AFL.

While he was able to alleviate some of the supporters' concerns on that front, he struggled to pacify one Newcastle fan over the game's structure.

Club chief executives are in the throes of investigating ways to streamline the structure of the competition, which is part-owned by the Australian Rugby League and News Limited.

"The game works reasonably harmoniously across those governing bodies," Gallop said.

Spruce demurred. Gallop stood his ground. The pair eventually reached a middle ground. Spruce, a solicitor, headed for lunch with the rest of the supporters.

After having their concerns satiated, their appetites followed.

Gallop has to go ASAP or we'll get another sh*t TV deal. all he does is talk up AFL and defend the woeful treatment of the game by 9

MsStorm

Bench
Imo biggest issue other than Gallop himself, is the culture of 'casual fans' not going to games. An example, back at school, my grade had loads of Parra fans, being in the parra district. All of them were lucky to get to one game a year. There's too many League 'fans' who claim to be supporters of a team but don't actually bother going to games, ever.

So true! Why is it this way, especially with NSW people. Living here in Victoria and seeing how the afl fans support their teams, it really saddens me to see the lack of bums on seats at the nrl games, especially in NSW.

gong_eagle

First Grade
3 articles that are as full of sh*t as Gallop is
sounds like the same old garbage he brings out

macavity

Referee
http://www.leaguehq.com.au/news/new...tled-supporters/2008/11/06/1225561044081.html

seems one of our fellow forumers is turning into a celeb

he was on TV tonight too

pity the article doesn't have anything about what Gallop had to say. did he say anything or just sit there and go
gallopcup7.jpg
??

:cool:

I fought the good fight for LU guys. He said a lot but didn't really give any satisfactory answers. Got a lot of positive feedback from other fans after the forum though - so I must have been saying what everyone else was thinking (although wish they had the cajones to back me up, probably looked like a bit of a lone nutter at times...)

sting

Bench
:cool:

I fought the good fight for LU guys. He said a lot but didn't really give any satisfactory answers. Got a lot of positive feedback from other fans after the forum though - so I must have been saying what everyone else was thinking (although wish they had the cajones to back me up, probably looked like a bit of a lone nutter at times...)

I'm guessing this was you they're talking about????

http://www.leaguehq.com.au/news/news/supporters-speak-up/2008/11/06/1225561044081.html?page=2

No elephants, but many disgruntled supporters

Glenn Jackson | November 7, 2008

Fans were frank when they spoke at a special NRL forum yesterday, writes Glenn Jackson.
Armed with a Roy Masters article, and admittedly, a slight grudge, Shane Spruce had one topic he wanted to engage NRL bosses in yesterday, as supporters met the suits. As he termed it, "the elephant in the room".
"[The forum] was about getting across what matters to members, things like refereeing," Spruce said afterwards, clutching the cut-out of the Herald article as he pitched his case to it.
"But it doesn't really go to the heart of the matter, which is the conflict of interest in the game, and the game not reaching its full potential because of it. The CEO can't even really stand up for the game because he's trying to serve two masters, and I think we know which side his bread's buttered on."
And if you haven't caught up on the news, it's News. Limited that is, the right hand of the NRL that yields the biggest slap of the partnership group, which it shares with the Australian Rugby League.
And what Spruce was spruiking, at the first fans forum, was that News Ltd's stake in the game, and its stake in Foxtel, the game's pay-TV broadcaster, was a conflict of interest. "We just want transparency," he said. "We just want to know we're getting the best deal."
And so amidst a discussion that ranged from player behaviour to refereeing to the salary cap, the controversial rights deals became a central issue. NRL chief executive David Gallop, for his part, conceded the conflict, but defended the master.
"Without News Ltd, there'd be no Melbourne, there'd be no Townsville, and there'd probably be no Canberra," Gallop said. "They're not interested in shackling the game. They do have a potential conflict, and we're not walking away from it, but they want to make the game prosperous."
Spruce is a solicitor who runs one of Newcastle's supporter groups. As such, he admitted he had a personal motivation, relating to the scars left from Super League.
"We're not looking for recriminations," he said. "We had guys involved in our club who were involved in Super League - Michael Hagan and Mark Sargent. We're not looking to look backwards. But we need to acknowledge the scars are there and you can't pretend everything's rosy. I'm really positive about the game, but there's a lot of potential that's being unrealised."
While some in the game argue the presence of News Ltd among the stakeholders and their role in the rights deals are part of an agenda driven by this newspaper, the view from the hill, clearly on show yesterday, would suggest otherwise.
"I said to my guys, 'I'm coming here, what do you want me to bring up?"' Spruce said. "The two things they said were conflict of interest and scheduling. And one comes from the other. The reason we have to bend over backwards to placate Channel Nine is because we don't get enough from News Ltd."
That brings us to scheduling - which allows supporters to know the where and when of NRL games, sometimes, just five weeks before the round. That will change in 2012 when all the existing broadcasting deals expire, according to Gallop, who added the game would be in a "great position to cut and dice it the way we want to".
"The next move is to move to the AFL system [of scheduling every game in the preseason] and that's what our plan is to do," Gallop said.
Elsewhere, chief operating officer Graham Annesley conceded the league needed to "drag back" the video referees' powers "because it's imposing on the game". Gallop said the league was still a "fair way off" inviting Perth or Adelaide into the premiership.
Asked about disciplining players, Gallop said the NRL would resist the urge to take control of off-field sanctioning in a bid to have more uniformity.
"The days of sweeping things under the carpet are over," Gallop said. As Spruce would say, it's all about transparency.

sting

Bench
great work it sounds like you were asking all the hard questions and everyone else was just there for the sake of it..

a quote i like from the article about the day in the Australian....

"While he was able to alleviate some of the supporters' concerns on that front, he struggled to pacify one Newcastle fan over the game's structure. "

lol nice work

Perth Red

Post Whore
Anybody see a link cause Gallop clearly can't despite saying both things!

"Gallop said the league was still a "fair way off" inviting Perth or Adelaide into the premiership."

"He said the AFL's free-to-air deal was larger because of their national reach "

macavity

Referee
mate I hammered him on broadcasting into Perth and Adelaide - he was adamant no one in Perth or Adelaide follows RL, and it would be to our detriment to even try to foster a following there. if you disagree, get writing.

what I took from the meeting was that Gallop has no faith in League - he does not believe it is an attractive "product" worth promoting. He disdains the "missionary" mindset.

wonder where that is coming from - wouldn't be in News' best interests to compartmentalise the country, would it?

Perth Red

Post Whore
Good on you mate. Gallop has sent that message consistently this year. Fortunately the people running the game in WA, RL fans in Perth and the ARL are sticking two fingers up at him and moving ahead with our plans anyway! I get the sense the WA Reds will be around alot longer than Gallop!

henrieté

Juniors
mate I hammered him on broadcasting into Perth and Adelaide - he was adamant no one in Perth or Adelaide follows RL, and it would be to our detriment to even try to foster a following there. if you disagree, get writing.

what I took from the meeting was that Gallop has no faith in League - he does not believe it is an attractive "product" worth promoting. He disdains the "missionary" mindset.

wonder where that is coming from - wouldn't be in News' best interests to compartmentalise the country, would it?

Macavity did you feel that the forum achieved anything, that anyone was listening, or that they would take on board and actually do something about the issues that were raised?

Spitty

Juniors
Can you please confirm a suspicion I've had for sometime please Shane?

Does David Gallop actually walk around with a dictaphone and when a question is asked of him he rewinds the dictaphone to the correct answer and then presses play?

Everytime I see or hear anything from him, it's the same responses "word for word". He must rehearse it in the shower day after day.