What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

09 :: Origin I :: Wed 3 Jun :: QLD 28 NSW 18 @ Etihad

Origin 1 :: QLD v NSW

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Jason Maher

Immortal
This is why Queensland "out-Origin" us again and again. You never see their fans constantly bagging their own players and looking for scapegoats when they get beaten. They stand behind their own no matter what, and the players know it.

While NSW were poor tonight, drastically changing the team for game 2 will not work. A change or two is justified, but you have to look a bit deeper than such-and-such a player played poorly tonight, therefore they will play poorly in match 2 and thus should be dropped. For mine, I would bring one of the Morris boys in for McManus. I also think we need a kicker to match Thurston, and the only player I know of that fits that bill is Jamie Soward. Poore and Weyman should be the starting props.

The team for mine:

1. Kurt Gidley (c)
2. Jarryd Hayne
3. Michael Jennings
4. Jamie Lyon
5. Brett Morris
6. Terry Campese
7. Jamie Soward
13. Luke Lewis
12. Luke O'Donnell
11. Ben Creagh
10. Michael Weyman
9. Robbie Farah
8. Justin Poore

14. Luke Bailey
15. Brent Kite
16. Trent Waterhouse (if fit)
17. Craig Wing

Soward's kicking game will make a huge difference, and it would hand the organising role over to Campese, who I think would benefit as he does at Canberra from the extra responsibility. Lewis at lock provides an extra ball playing option to relieve a bit of pressure on Campese and Soward if need be.

I also accept that Mullen is genuine option as well, though I haven't seen enough of him this year to make a call. Can someone inform me if he has the kicking game NSW require?

AusKnightRKO

First Grade
1Gidley

6 Mullen
7 Wallace

9 Farah

14 Wing

And Mullen has a kicking game just needs to remember which side of the white line he suppose to kick it on

Last edited:

Albo

Juniors
Farah was one of the Blues best. Didnt make any mistakes and really didnt have any opportunities because NSW was so outplayed in the backline.

I wouldnt change the NSW pack except starting Weyman and benching Kite. Gallen coming back would add some attacking wide runners.

Our back....no comment. McManus, Campese and Wallace were horrible. Gidley was also poor but wont be dropped because he is Captain.

We need a strong and fast winger. Its a pity Chris Lawrence is injured. I dont know what options we have. Perhaps Brett Morris?

Wing should start at 5/8. Campese should be dropped Wallace should be replaced by Mullen

Raider_69

Post Whore
well thats me for the night, going to bed disappointed and to work tomorrow tired and annoyed.

NSW, not good enough, the halves were terrible, do we persist with them? I dont know, I think Mullen should come in, who thats for, is anyones guess. Campo will probably make way and i wont complain about that, he simply wasnt good enough. But neither was wallace so :?

back to earth NSW, this could go a clean sweep

macavity

Referee
While NSW were poor tonight, drastically changing the team for game 2 will not work. A change or two is justified, but you have to look a bit deeper than such-and-such a player played poorly tonight, therefore they will play poorly in match 2 and thus should be dropped. For mine, I would bring one of the Morris boys in for McManus. I also think we need a kicker to match Thurston, and the only player I know of that fits that bill is Jamie Soward. Poore and Weyman should be the starting props.

one guess who you support....

AILD

Bench
ill be surprised if qld dont win 3-0.

tonights nsw team isnt good enough...but then again there arent many players that can step into the team...qld just breed champions.

effnic

Bench
I will put my vote in for Soward in the number 7 jersey aswell, not many have a better kicking game than him.

Spike

First Grade
I don't want Mullen to play in the halves if it means having Campese playing alongside him. Campese will leave Mullen to do everything which at this level, is not acceptable. I'd rather the Blues keep Wallace if they keep Campese in the side

Apey

Staff member
I agree with what Gus said too.

A lot of the NSW players didn't play with passion and hunger tonight. That was a bit depressing tbh.

Noa

First Grade
Youd have to think the series is ovah. Queensland had there pants off, stubby in hand watching Cath & Kim by 9:10pm.

They wont clock off like that in game 2.

pantherz9103

First Grade
Dammit! Jennings has an injury concern, sustained while not playing for his club. Origin is becoming predictable, I really don't feel any emotion when NSW lose, its just expected, I'm not upset at all. It will be good for them if they can turn it around, I'd recommend f**king off Campo and McManus and replacing them with Mullen and Brett Morris- but it won't make much of a difference to me. Go the Socceroos!

Last edited:

Sleep

Juniors
I tGidley (though the last ten minutes had a set of QLD balls on his chin)
Hayne
Jennings
Lewis
O'Donnell
Creagh
Wing
Poore

All have a spot in the next game. The rest get a big MEH from me. McManus showed he wasn't ready. Campese was MIA the entire first half. Laffranchi was a huge disappointment.

Lyon got no chances with the ball. We went left, left again, left again and left just once more.

Farah just tried to hard at times. Wing came on and BOOM! Wing should start and stay at hooker the full 80. Have Lewis as our utility.

Last edited:

Edwahu

Bench
Not that stats tell you everything but Lyon and Mcmanus with 5 missed tackles each is pretty illustrative of the biggest problem for NSW. McManus didnt even make 1.

Red Bear

Referee
Best origin game in a while

Halves were a big difference, thurston had a brilliant game whereas neither 6 or 7 for us offered much

Our kicking was poor

We definately have the nucelus of a good side however, and hopefully we stick with the majority, maybe a couple of changes (mullen in) but thats all really.

Red Bear

Referee
Oh and if i hear ANYTHING about the qld spirit with this victory i will spew, they were expected to win ffs. They currently have a freakishly good side, especially in the backline, and it showed. I think we can turn it around somewhat but if we dont thats footy, we'll be better next year.

I at least feel we have turned the corner this year as we finally have the next generation of blues in the side.

Latest posts