What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What Sydney clubs should be replaced by expansion teams.

bobmar28

Bench
Do you think the NRL should still be a 16 team but with the only way of expansion would be death of a Sydney club or 2 or 3 or 4.
The Central Coast,Another Queensland team,Perth and Wellington teams should be in the NRL but at the expense of which Sydney teams.
What 4 Sydney teams should go.

Merge Eels and Panthers = Parramatta Panthers.
Merge Roosters, Bunnies and Sharks = South Sydney Sharks.
Merge Bulldogs and Dragons ) = St George Bulldogs. There's 4 less teams.

Loudstrat

Coach
You forgot to mention that they add absolutely nothing to the value of the competition compared the the expansion areas. Do we really have to wait until the Sharks go broke again, or can we just get rid of them now?
Dingbat. What they have is already added. Not much, granted. But more than any expansion team bar maybe a SE Qld.

Teddyboy, for the game to expand in UK/Europe, which Yorkshire/Lancashire club should we punt? Wigan, Bradford, St Helens, Hull KR, or Leeds?

Stupid pommy moron!

Loudstrat

Coach
You are the only poster who yearns for a suicide pact for his club.

Ausguy

Coach
You forgot to mention that they add absolutely nothing to the value of the competition compared the the expansion areas. Do we really have to wait until the Sharks go broke again, or can we just get rid of them now?

Can you explain to me what Wellington adds?

GCR

Juniors
Can you explain to me what Wellington adds?

Increased presence and viewership in NZ leading to larger media deals across the Tasman; increased junior base in NZ leading to a stronger national team and thus a stronger and more financially lucrative international product; a rival/partner to help strengthen the Warriors' place in the NZ sporting market, increasing their value to the competition.

Teddyboy

First Grade
Dingbat. What they have is already added. Not much, granted. But more than any expansion team bar maybe a SE Qld.

Teddyboy, for the game to expand in UK/Europe, which Yorkshire/Lancashire club should we punt? Wigan, Bradford, St Helens, Hull KR, or Leeds?

Stupid pommy moron!
Listen you krunt despite Sky tv ratings the Super League is still a small fish in a big bond when it comes to attendances and national recognition and Union is pissing all over it in crowds and media.
Australia needs less Football codes and less Sydney teams if League wants to get out and do one over the silly AFL code.Just because Parramatta v Bulldogs got a great crowd of 75000 yet looking at most of Parra's crowds they where bloody poor.

ByRd

First Grade
:lol::lol::lol: St George Bulldogs, are you on crack???

Ridders

Coach
I don't think either St.George or the Steelers would be too thrilled with having to make another club merger.

Jesus you are a tough lot.
Roosters and the Sharks should f**k off.
But then again i think St.George and Illawarra as well as Balmain and West Tigers could go it alone.
So your "great" plan involves kicking out the second most successful team in the competition with one of the largest (if not the largest) fan bases in the country for a Central Qld side with no stadium, no players, and very little interest outside of their region.

And who in the hell would Wests Tigers be without Balmain. Are you saying the Western Suburbs Magpies should go it alone again? Sure they have 2 leagues clubs, but that doesn't make a successful club.

Listen you krunt despite Sky tv ratings the Super League is still a small fish in a big bond when it comes to attendances and national recognition and Union is pissing all over it in crowds and media.
Australia needs less Football codes and less Sydney teams if League wants to get out and do one over the silly AFL code.Just because Parramatta v Bulldogs got a great crowd of 75000 yet looking at most of Parra's crowds they where bloody poor.

That would be the same silly AFL code that has 9 1/2 of its teams from Melbourne (Brisbane Bears merger with the Fitzroy Lions), and 10 1/2 from Victoria. Yes, the AFL is succeeding by killing its fanbase in Melbourne for the expense of establishing GC17 or the GWS team. Idiot.

SEAT 1A

Bench
I don't think either St.George or the Steelers would be too thrilled with having to make another club merger.

Thank you Ridders. The Dragons and Wests Tigers should never be asked to merge, as we have done our bit. I'm not a fan of mergers as the only reason two clubs merge is that one or both clubs can't financially survive long term and have no choice to merge.

It may be good for the NRL however, it causes problems for the two teams. There will always be a group of supports that will never accept and embrace the new club, which is fair and there will always be different opinions within club management on the best way to go forward.

When Saints merged I was a disappointed however, we are now the Dragons and I follow the team as one.

I would have lost my passion with rugby league if the Saints merged with any other club other than the Steelers and if the Dragons ever change the Red V I would not watch club rugby league thus, I don't think to many clubs will merge.

Relocation is the only way to reduce the number of teams in Sydney and the only way those clubs can be accepted is to move to a state that has no rugby league presence.

Penrith, Parramatta, Canterbury and Wests. We have to accept the fact that we will lose Western Sydney to the AFL.

Why stop there?

Get rid of all Sydney teams and Newcastle and Canberra. We have to accept the fact that we will lose NSW to the AFL. I mean the Swans are just winning over Sydneysiders with that amazing skillful sport with increasing crowds, TV ratings and ... oh wait, no they're not :lol:

marlow

Juniors
id say cronulla
cronulla
and thirdly cronulla
id be open to souths merging with the roosters too- as this would give them both greater financial stability and fanbase
parra and penrith should have but that train has sailed
Sydney Rabbitohs
umm
to those ten sharks fans out ther maybe the Port Moresby sharks could b a goer
otherwise
those juniors can return to st george, giving them illawarra and the entire surfing bit of south sydney dogs can stand on feet
tigers have merged
manly are needed as they are the whole north sydney front atm until central coast come in so
in my perfect world
two conferences

Sydney conference
Parra
Dogs
Tigers
PAnthers
CC Bears
Manly
St George ILLAWARA( remember its per capita the countries greatest junior base) Dragons
Sydney Rabbitohs

National Conference
Brisbane Broncos
GC TITANS
N qld cowboys
Melbourne Storm
New Zealand Warriors
Perth Reds
Newcastle Knights
Canberra Raiders
Wellington/ PNG/Central QLD/Brisbane Bumpkins.

Why stop there?

Get rid of all Sydney teams and Newcastle and Canberra. We have to accept the fact that we will lose NSW to the AFL. I mean the Swans are just winning over Sydneysiders with that amazing skillful sport with increasing crowds, TV ratings and ... oh wait, no they're not :lol:

Actually, we might as well pull the Broncos and the Titans, the Broncos are doomed at the hands of the Lions and the Titans will die once the Gold Coast Gazzas arrive.

Actually AFL is taking over NZ, we better pull the Warriors just to be safe.

GongPanther

Referee
Merge Penrith and Parramatta.

Roosters relocate to the central coast.

Sharks relocate or go.

The Panthers,the Eels and Wests have the most secure positions in the list of all the Sydney teams.

But I'm sure if any teams were in for the chop,fans of other clubs would stage a march to Sydney Town Hall to save them a-la South Sydney...Would they not?...Didn't think so.

If any of the Sydney based teams had to go,I couldn't give a sh!t due to the fact in how the Sydney teams (and the media) used to treat Penrith in its early days.

But I do have a soft spot for Wests Tigers as it was a few of their players that helped us out in the early days.

mightybears

Bench
Do you think the NRL should still be a 16 team but with the only way of expansion would be death of a Sydney club or 2 or 3 or 4.
The Central Coast,Another Queensland team,Perth and Wellington teams should be in the NRL but at the expense of which Sydney teams.
What 4 Sydney teams should go.

No, and none
Perth have a 'Reds' identity
Brisbane/SEQ II and Wellington can develop their own

20 is feasible, no need for just 16, its not as if everyone plays each other home and away now.

Latest posts