What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rugby League Annual Team of the Decade

Big Pete

Referee
As most of you will know the yearly edition of Rugby League Annual is readily available at your local newsagents and like always is filled with a number of interesting sections that will catch the attention of a number of readers.

This year's edition includes the RLA team of the decade as selected by past greats such as Steve Renouf, Greg Alexander and Paul Vautin. The side shapes up as this...

1. Billy Slater (Melbourne 2003-09)
2. Brent Tate (Brisbane 2001-07, Warriors 2008-09)
3. Greg Inglis (Melbourne 2005-09)
4. Mark Gasnier (St. George Illawarra 2000-08)
5. Hazem El Masri (Bulldogs 2000-09)
6. Darren Lockyer (Brisbane 2000-09)
7. Andrew Johns (Newcastle 2000-07)
8. Petero Civoniceiva (Brisbane 2000-07, Penrith 2008-09)
9. Cameron Smith (Melbourne 2002-09)
10. Shane Webcke (Brisbane 2000-06)
11. Steve Menzies (Northern Eagles 2000-02, Manly 2003-08)
12. Nathan Hindmarsh (Parramatta 2000-09)
13. Brad Fittler (Sydney 2000-04)

Honestly I'm surprised by a number of selections with the side namely the choices on the wing and in the backrow but I can see their point of view. What I'm interested in hearing is what are your thoughts of this side? Is it good? Have the panelists named the best 13 of the decade?

The yearly side was another section that caught my eye.

1. Jarryd Hayne (Parramatta Eels)
2. Brett Morris (St. George Illawarra Dragons)
3. Greg Inglis (Melbourne Storm)
4. Justin Hodges (Brisbane Broncos)
5. Taniela Tuiaki (West Tigers)
6. Jamie Soward (St. George Illawarra Dragons)
7. Jonathan Thurston (North Queensland Cowboys)
8. Ben Hannant (Bulldogs)
9. Cameron Smith (Melbourne Storm)
10. Fui Fui Moi Moi (Parramatta Eels)
11. Nathan Hindmarsh (Parramatta Eels)
12. Anthony Watmough (Manly Sea Eagles)
13. Paul Gallen (Cronulla Sharks)

I believe the most surprising inclusions in that side named would have to be Hodges and Hindmarsh. I can personally vouch for Hodges, I thought his form especially in the back third of the season cemented his place in the side.

On the other hand, while I can't discount his leadership on the field and his influence on his team I didn't think Hindmarsh put forward THAT great a performance this year and he definately had some players ahead of him, especially Ben Creagh who I guess became a victim of the Dragons poor exit in 09.

Scarves

Juniors
The team of the decade looks spot on especially with the wingers considering the length of the decade and the length of careers and achievement throughout the decade by both ElMasri and Tate.

I like how they found a place for both Lockyer and Fittler, it would have been my way of picking the two exactly.

There will always be arguments in the second row of any team due to the amount of talent available in that area. Guys like Ben Kennedy, Gordon Tallis and even a guy like Mick Crocker to name a few wouldn't be out of place in the back row of a team like this.

On the team of the year, I see your point with Creagh but my point stands, back row is always a log jam of opinion.

Fittler played 0 games at lock in the 00's.

El Masri one of the top 2 wingers after playing 2 rep games.

What a joke of a team really. Where's the kiwis at? RACISM.

ozbash

Referee
must be an Aussie thing, htf can you have an annual team of the decade ?

druggie @ 7 lol

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
Truth be told, Fittler played 3 games at Lock in the last decade.

However he only played for half of the decade. It doesn't seem right to have him there.

Menzies, while a great player, was past his best days for this decade. He played only about 60 games at second row in the decade. Most of the time he played as a Lock.

I'd have Ali Lauiti'iti in there before Fittler.

Tweek

Juniors
must be an Aussie thing, htf can you have an annual team of the decade ?

druggie @ 7 lol

I think you will find "Rugby League Annual" is the name of the publication.

and it has named a team of the decade.

I can now remember one game Fittler played at lock. Funnily enough I was at that game. NZ vs Aus in Wellington 2001. Barrett played 5/8 for some f*cked up reason.

Moffo

Referee
mark gasnier? wtf? overrated with a capital O....disgrace he made the team

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
He did? I can't seem to recall them.
Yeah, mind you, your argument still stands, hard to call him Lock of the decade when he played less than 10 games there.

Round 11, 2000 vs Penrith
Round 19, 2001 vs Bulldogs
Round 20, 2001 vs Penrith

Actually just found that his last 5 games for Australia, he played at Lock

He played at Lock vs Fiji in 2000
and his last 5 appearances for Australia were against New Zealand in 2001, Papua New Guinea in 2001 and 3 matches against Great Britain in 2001.

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
Big Pete having a problem with a Bulldog chosen on the wing... what a surprise :lol:

Bulldogs_4_Life

Juniors
Fittler played 0 games at lock in the 00's.

What a joke of a team really. Where's the kiwis at? RACISM.
No one gives a sh*t about how many rep games players have played. You just have to sit back and go through the amazing array of records and achievements that Hazem has broken/achieved in the past 10 years to see why he deserves his spot.

Lambretta

First Grade
I can understand the temptation to play Fittler at lock just to get him in the side and as a Rooster and a big fan, it's nice to see him there.

BUT - he wasnt a lock in the last decade and there were more deserving players who did play that position on a regular basis who deserve the accolade.

Maybe Fittler should have been found a place on a bench - I dont see why there isnt a bench when league has been a 17 man game for some time. Certainly longer than the past decade.

Lambretta

First Grade

What a joke of a team really

El Masri definately earned his spot on the wing.
I cant think of a winger for the past decade that I would pick in front of him.

Funny how you called the racist card when you are calling for the exclusion of a lebanese born Muslim. That tickles my funny bone.

Big Pete

Referee
Big Pete having a problem with a Bulldog chosen on the wing... what a surprise :lol:

I personally would've gone with somebody with a better represenative portfolio (eg. Matt Sing) but I can understand why they went with El Masri given the lack of stand outs.

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
I personally would've gone with somebody with a better represenative portfolio (eg. Matt Sing) but I can understand why they went with El Masri given the lack of stand outs.
Did you mean King or Sing?

Apey

Staff member
There's probably a few that could have gone to a few people and you wouldn't complain.. not that bad all up.

Latest posts