What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Pet hates in gyms

GuardDog

Juniors
Hi All,
I'm sure that there are annoying practices at your local comercial gym by members that irritate you.For me it's members who do bicep curls in the squat/power rack especially when its the only pwer rack,So what's your pet hate(s)?

18to87

First Grade
Hi All,
I'm sure that there are annoying practices at your local comercial gym by members that irritate you.For me it's members who do bicep curls in the squat/power rack especially when its the only pwer rack,So what's your pet hate(s)?

Yeah thats pretty much the classic pet hate right there.

I hate messy gyms with plates everywhere.

Also hate people who socialize in between sets. Especially when there is only one power rack and they are taking their sweet time catching up on the weekend.

GuardDog

Juniors
Yeah thats pretty much the classic pet hate right there.

I hate messy gyms with plates everywhere.

Also hate people who socialize in between sets. Especially when there is only one power rack and they are taking their sweet time catching up on the weekend.

totally agree how hard is it to put things back,there should be a gym ettiquette posted on the wall at gyms for newbies to read:)

Martli

Coach
Aside from what's been mentioned

People who can't put dumbells away properly. I don't want to have to search for a pair of matching dumbells, it's not that hard to put them away next to each other.

People who feel the need to set the weight room up as their own personal training circuit and hog 2-3 separate bits of equipment (I got to a small uni gym).

People who are way over the top with their grunting. If it's a big weight, fine, but if you're pressing 60kg you don't need to grunt so loud.

I could go on.

macavity

Referee

People who can't put dumbells away properly. I don't want to have to search for a pair of matching dumbells, it's not that hard to put them away next to each other.

People who feel the need to set the weight room up as their own personal training circuit and hog 2-3 separate bits of equipment (I got to a small uni gym).

People who are way over the top with their grunting. If it's a big weight, fine, but if you're pressing 60kg you don't need to grunt so loud.

I could go on.

yup.

Also, a pet hate is when I see someone doing a completely wrong program - usually set up by one of the idiot PTs at the gym I go to.

I am no expert but I have a vague idea (and I can tell when something is wrong) and I really have to stop myself from tapping them on the shoulder and saying what the hell are you doing... I mean FFS why have morbidly obese guys do calf raises and wrist curls?

Thomas

First Grade
I don't like the starers. You know the ones.

Staring at me with their beady eyes...

Red Bear

Referee
The whole place in general tbh.
sh*tty music, and a whole feeling of vanity around the place. Gym junkies (the type of people who just wanna be buff, dont actually use this fitness for anything) seem to be total wankers.

Puts me off going, id prefer a home gym with my own music. Dont have the space or money however.

abpanther

Staff member
People who don't use towels or wipe down machinery after use, I don't wanna sit on your sweaty seat...

Shorty

Staff member
Hi All,
I'm sure that there are annoying practices at your local comercial gym
There's your problem:lol:
sh*tty music, and a whole feeling of vanity around the place. Gym junkies (the type of people who just wanna be buff, dont actually use this fitness for anything) seem to be total wankers.

Puts me off going, id prefer a home gym with my own music. Dont have the space or money however.
Yep agreed.
Mac, why don't you? I suppose they'd get sh*tty or something but maybe they're just generally uneducated with programs.
I once trained a guy who did bench press with his neck crinked and looking at the bar and thought it was standard....no joke!

Last edited:

aqua_duck

Coach
Living in Belmore my pet hate is roid munching, meat heads of middle eastern appearance who tend to hog the bench press for long periods of time and also never put their weights back

GuardDog

Juniors

I could go on.

F#ck yeah 45kg dumbells in the 12.5kg dumbell racks grrr

GuardDog

Juniors

try sand bag training using a sturdy old military rucksack and filled with sandbags to a suitable weight,.cheap to make and awesome for all round functional strength...the "gym glamour boy" are found in every gym yes some i have found to be clueless wankers but the rest just like to look good and it beats looking like a fat merkin

Shorty

Staff member
Yes but it is possible to appear to look good but look like a complete disaster to people who have depth knowledge in posture alignment and muscles or basically anyone with common sense.
The caveman look with massive arms and chest with no legs is embarrassing.

If you watch weight lifting in the olympics, you'll notice that those guys don't look like much....there's a difference between looking strong and actually being strong.

Last edited:

GuardDog

Juniors
Yes but it is possible to appear to look good but look like a complete disaster to people who have depth knowledge in posture alignment and muscles or basically anyone with common sense.
The caveman look with massive arms and chest with no legs is embarrassing.

If you watch weight lifting in the olympics, you'll notice that those guys don't look like much....there's a difference between looking strong and actually being strong.

ahh now i get what ya mean shorty no arguements from me as i quietly laugh at those guys built like lightglobes :lol: strong legs and back are the foundations to physical longevity
im a huge fan of old school type programs dating back to pre-steroid days
google the names ArthurSaxon,JGrimek,JDavis,DrStrossen,KenLeistner and enjoy reading

God-King Dean

Immortal
Socializing.

I don't mean 'hey, how ya going man?' I mean pricks who use it as a social gathering & dribble sh*t & do hardly any training.

bartman

Immortal
I went into a gym once... it was 1991. It stank of sweat and poor self-esteem. I've never been back since. :D

Royce Gracie

Juniors

Hello Red Bear. This is a very important statement you made. When you train it is best to be in the comfort zone wherever that may be. And alot of people do not go to public gym's because of similar reasons. So long as you can stay fit you do not need the gym.

I hope people that have similar thoughts as you, find their comfort zone and continue to train.

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
This. It's even common in the abs/stretching area at my gym, people will spread out and chat and chat and chat and not leave any room for other people. At my gym too I notice that in the weights area, some of these douchebags will rest against machines next to the ones their using as well.

Last I checked the gym was for working out and training, not a f**king womens club.

Latest posts