What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Kiwis Team vs England

kuwaiti kev

Juniors
Leuluai is rubbish?? Sure he's not as dynamic as Luke but he steers a team around the park a lot better. No doubt you are writing him off 'because he doesn't play NRL' but he was man of the match in the Super League grand final, I think that means he's a bit better than rubbish.

Fein is the best halfback the kiwis have an streets ahead of speedbump Sandow, not to mention covers dummy half nicely when required.

Luke is an awesome player I agree, limiting his minutes will only increase his affect on the game when he comes on, he'll be fizzing and the heat will have gone from the big pommie pack.

The proof is in the pudding buddy, check back after the game

shiznit

Coach
Leuluai as an option?, He is rubbish, and Fien is hardly a great halfback either!!!. Issac is more then just a good player now, You need your forwards rolling forward for the whole 80, Issac can play attack and defence, He made 40 tackles in the Anzac Test this year, and as i said he performs the same quality throughout the whole game.

Issac had a great 2010, One of the best players in the NRL this season, and I have no doubts he would of gone bloody close to taking out the Dally M if it wasn't for injury and suspension.

It was always Souths intention to play him as an 80 minute player this year regardless of what the halves did.

There is absolutely no reason in the world which would validate why he is playing off the bench. Issac is in a different class all together in comparison to Leuluai, yet Leuluai starts..Where is the logic in that?. He is one of two players who has a spot cemented along with Benji Marshall. They are the two premier players of the Kiwis and the core to build off in future years, Benji is just 25 and Issac is 23, It's gunna be the two players that will lead the way for the Kiwis in future years.

I just find it dumbfounding to be honest, Cannot believe Kearney's decision on this one... Forget Impact, Issac is an 80 minute player, He can turn on his impact game with a drop of a hat when playing the whole game, His ability to think on his feet and the ability to mix his game up is quality.
lmfao... it was validated when the same tactic won the world cup.

Kearneys obviously thinking that moving Luke to the bench was best for the balance of the team.

i can easily understand the decision. theve weighed up the pluses of having Luke playing 80mins against having a rotation with Leuluai.

you need to remember that theres life outside of the NRL. if you take off those red and green goggles you may have realised that Tommy Leuluai has had a very good Super League season which culminated in him winning the MOM in the Super League GF.

seeing as were playing the poms... this is sound thinking from Kearney.

it also means that Kearney wants a different type of game from Luke... he obviously wants him to be more explosive. now that he doesnt have to pace himself for 80mins he can do a lot more damage around the ruck.

what works for the rabbits wont necessarily work in international football.

Leuluai is rubbish?? Sure he's not as dynamic as Luke but he steers a team around the park a lot better. No doubt you are writing him off 'because he doesn't play NRL' but he was man of the match in the Super League grand final, I think that means he's a bit better than rubbish.

Fein is the best halfback the kiwis have an streets ahead of speedbump Sandow, not to mention covers dummy half nicely when required.

Luke is an awesome player I agree, limiting his minutes will only increase his affect on the game when he comes on, he'll be fizzing and the heat will have gone from the big pommie pack.

The Thing is with Issac is, He isn't just an attacking player. He hits pretty hard in defence and has throws his body on the line against much bigger opponents. The Kiwis will need him on the field for as long as possible if they are a good shot at beating Australia, Luke and Benji forming a combination could be lethal.. I realise they went with Leuluai with Luke off the bench in the WC Final but it's two years later, Luke has evolved so much as a player, He plays 80 quality minutes mostly everytime, He was a very consistent prospect this year. I understand he woudn't play 80 minutes in a rep fixture, But He still needs to play the majority of the game for mine. Anything less then 60 minutes by Stephen Kearney is a bit of a joke for mine.

I'm ok with the team. I would of liked to of seen Perrett in there somewhere though. And I would of started with Luke at hooker too tbh.

Not sure on Eastwood as a starting prop. Would of liked to of seen one genuine NRL starting prop up front. I'm ok with Blair being there though, that backrow's just too strong to break into. That starting trio is awesome. Then you look at the guys on the bench - wow. There's some genuine strike-power in the backline too.

It's one of the best Kiwi sides on paper i've ever seen. We just need them to rip in and get the results. I'm confident.

Billythekid

First Grade
How the hell is Sau anywhere near that team? I wouldn't even pick him for toyota cup with the way he has played this year. I would say he is close to the worst defensive centre in the league and hes lack of pace hampers him in attack.

I would probably start Luke. IMO he has probably been the best player in the world this year when he is fit. He is NZ's number one weapon. Having said that i do understand why he is on the bench.

I am concerned about Hohaia as well. I think the poms won't be able to exploit him but i wont be surprised when Australia do.

The forward pack looks good but it will be interesting to see how much go forward they have. They are a little light in the props and Blair has been very average this year. I really think they ought to be starting Sika Manu to add some size and go forward to the starting pack.

kuwaiti kev

Juniors
The Thing is with Issac is, He isn't just an attacking player. He hits pretty hard in defence and has throws his body on the line against much bigger opponents. The Kiwis will need him on the field for as long as possible if they are a good shot at beating Australia, Luke and Benji forming a combination could be lethal.. I realise they went with Leuluai with Luke off the bench in the WC Final but it's two years later, Luke has evolved so much as a player, He plays 80 quality minutes mostly everytime, He was a very consistent prospect this year. I understand he woudn't play 80 minutes in a rep fixture, But He still needs to play the majority of the game for mine. Anything less then 60 minutes by Stephen Kearney is a bit of a joke for mine.

Fein and Leuluai are also strong defenders just not in the big hit way Luke is. Big hits don't necessarily make a good defender anyway, as a Sandow watcher you would know that better than anyone lol.

Luke does not have the kicking game or the directional play of Fein or Leuluai, he may develope it but not yet. He can however bust open a game with individual brilliance so it's horses for courses.
Kearney knows what he's doing

Issac Luke off the bench to tear sh*t up the way Craig Wing used to do it for the Roosters and NSW after 15-20 minutes. Kearney knows what he is doing so have confidence in it.

Kiwis should account for the Poms easily.

Game plan appears to be to wear England out and strike at the end, which is where most of the time that England fall apart.

My only issue is that they appear set for a wide running game, but if they focus that attack on the edges where Ellis and Burgess are defending, I cant see them having alot of luck, they are great edge defenders. I think Marshall is going to have to find ways of sucking Ellis and Burgess in to isolate the centres and wingers, but that's not easy to do with Ellis and Burgess and I dont have the greatest confidence that SKD and Sa'u can break a defence line on their own.

Lmao

20 line breaks for the year puts him up near the top and you're worried, gtfo.

RHCP

Bench
Close to the line he's almost unstoppable, but if you put him through a gap 30 metres out I can't envision many outside backs not being able to rundown Junior.

marv

Juniors

Totally agree kev. I wish England had another suitable 9 to use roby off the bench, where he is most effective.

I also like the look of the Kiwi pack, it seems the days are gone where the kiwis would set up to bash and batter the opposition, sometimes even naming a forward at 9.

They have immense quality in the backrow and will no doubt cause us loads of trouble out wide if Marshall is given even half a chance to create.

We pretty much assume England will be weak around the edges and as was pointed out by someone else, much pressure will be on Burgess and Ellis in the 2nds, of course the more defensive work those guys have to do will limit their ability in attack.

I hope im wrong but to me it seems kearney has got it spot on.

RWB

Bench
Playing arguably the best hooker in the game off the bench.

lol Sheens wont play Smith on the bench.

dead right chook, Kearney's proven he has the ability.

Not without Bennett looking over his shoulder, still got a lot to prove in my opinion.

Game plan appears to be to wear England out and strike at the end, which is where most of the time that England fall apart.

My only issue is that they appear set for a wide running game, but if they focus that attack on the edges where Ellis and Burgess are defending, I cant see them having alot of luck, they are great edge defenders. I think Marshall is going to have to find ways of sucking Ellis and Burgess in to isolate the centres and wingers, but that's not easy to do with Ellis and Burgess and I dont have the greatest confidence that SKD and Sa'u can break a defence line on their own.

You've got bigger issues than the management at Parra then.

RWB

Bench
I find it hard to believe that they haven't selected one recognised prop in that side while Jeff Lima & Roy Asotasi have somehow missed selection from the whole squad. What has been recognised as their strength for decades is surely their weakness now with some really poor selections. NZ only had to pick a semi-decent forward pack to win this game and they've failed... I give England every chance even with their sh*t back line. Should make for an interesting game.

roughyedspud

Coach
dead right chook, Kearney's proven he has the ability.

has he?? when??

wayne bennett won the kiwis the world cup...Kearney failed to get them to the 4nations final..

england has to target that pack and get on top of the kiwis early on

marv

Juniors
england has to target that pack and get on top of the kiwis early on

I dont see this spud, yes the two props are primarlay back rowers but they can easily play in the front row and its not like they wont have come up against bigger guys this year anyway, their pack should have nothing to fear.