What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Sign William Hopoate Thread

Eelementary

Post Whore
Me, too. But I think Manly knows their genuine weapon in the halves is Foran anyway, so they can put whoever they want at 7 and let Foran do his thing.

I would love to sign Hopoate. He's a genuine talent, and upsetting Manly would rule. But I can't see it happening.

Parraren

Bench
http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sp...ooty-says-hasler/story-e6frexnr-1226043755935
MANLY coach Des Hasler says teenage fullback William Hopoate will handle representative football with ease.
Hopoate, 18, has become the hottest commodity in the NRL after another man-of-the-match performance against Penrith on Friday night.
Despite the Bulldogs and Parramatta trying to get Hopoate away from Manly, Hasler has no fears about the rookie getting caught in the hype.
A certainty for City Origin selection next month, the kid has been tipped to breeze through the rise in grade.

"City Origin's a great recognition and a nice accolade for him," Hasler said.

"Will's the sort of kid that it won't faze him. The hype won't affect him like it might affect others.

"He won't lose his way with it. He's from a very polite family, a very religious family and they've done a great job.

"He knows how to handle himself."

It might seem premature to talk up Hopoate as a NSW Origin bolter after only nine NRL games, but judging by the maturity and composure he has shown at fullback, centre and wing this season, he would handle it.

Hopoate's form is only driving up his value on the open market as the Sea Eagles fight to retain him.

The Sunday Telegraph understands the Bulldogs have tabled a three-year deal worth $750,000, while Parramatta and St George Illawarra have also entered the race for the rising star's signature.

The Bulldogs see Hopoate filling the right centre role to be vacated by Jamal Idris next season, while Parramatta's backline deficiencies have been glaringly obvious over the opening six rounds.

The other issue for Hasler is where to position Hopoate once champion fullback Brett Stewart overcomes on-going hamstring issues.
Stewart has been named and then ruled out of the past four matches, with Hopoate shining in his absence.

But once Stewart returns - and with Jamie Lyon and Steve Matai in the centres - where does Hopoate best fit into the equation?

Wing appears the most obvious option, but where does that leave David Williams and Michael Robertson?

Hasler confirmed the emergence of Hopoate had allowed the Sea Eagles to adopt an approach-with-caution attitude towards Stewart's injuries.

The Sea Eagles' favourite son has played only eight NRL games since Manly won the grand final in 2008 after being forced to undergo two knee reconstructions.

"A few weeks ago Will Hopoate played centre against the Roosters and was able to come up with some telling factors," Hasler said yesterday. "He also played centre against Newcastle and scored two tries, so [Stewart's injury] has enabled us to continue his development.

"I dare say if push had come to shove, Brett could have played if it was different circumstances like the end of the season.

"He's missed so much football over the last year, so the last thing we want is to magnify that by doing damage to the hamstring."

When The Sunday Telegraph contacted Manly's greatest fullback Graham Eadie for his views on Hopoate, he didn't want to stop talking.

Eadie reasoned Hopoate looked most comfortable as a custodian and reckoned that, given time, he would eventually be mentioned in the same sentence as Melbourne's Billy Slater, Parramatta's Jarryd Hayne and the Dragons' Darius Boyd.

"His confidence is sky high and he just does everything right," Eadie said.

"I watched him under the high ball [against Penrith] and he never took his eyes off it, I thought it just showed how mature he is for his age.

"Fullback probably does look his best spot, but what are you going to do with Brett Stewart when he comes back? You've got to put him there."

andrew057

First Grade
Probably not.

But you understand what I mean, right? If he's happy at Manly, he just might take less to sty there.

Yeah and the same way he just might take more to come here. An extra 50-75k a season over 3 years is a lot of money to an 18 year old player.

Casper The Ghost

First Grade
Eels enter race to lure Hopoate from Manly

Adrian Proszenko

April 24, 2011

Hopoate-420x0.jpg

Hunted ... William Hopoate is tackled last weekend. Photo: Getty Images

PARRAMATTA have made an audacious play for Manly sensation William Hopoate as part of a multimillion-dollar raid to revamp their roster under Stephen Kearney.

The Eels have money to spend under the salary cap and hope to lure Chris Sandow to the club to help solve their halves problems.

They have already poached young centre Junior Vaivai from Redfern and Roosters back-rower Tom Symonds is another target.

However, adding young gun Hopoate to an ageing back line is also a priority for Eels officials, who have opened talks with his manager, Tyran Smith.

The Hopoate name is synonymous with Manly after William's father, John, tasted premiership success during a 150-game stint with the Sea Eagles.

However, the former Blues and Kangaroos winger seemed unperturbed by the prospect of his son defecting to Manly's arch-enemy.

''You can't rule anything out,'' John Hopoate said yesterday. ''He's certainly playing well.''

The Eels won't have it all their own way at the negotiating table. Manly are desperate to retain the talented teen and it is rumoured the Bulldogs are prepared to outlay up to $400,000 a season to offset the loss of Jamal Idris to the Gold Coast. St George Illawarra will also be on the hunt for a replacement fullback - Darius Boyd's transfer to Newcastle is expected to be officially announced as soon as this week.

Hopoate has played only nine NRL games but is already establishing himself as one of the game's best young players. The 18-year-old was man of the match in Manly's win against Penrith on Friday night after again deputising for Brett Stewart (hamstring) at fullback.

This season he already has four tries to his credit and runs for an average of 147 metres per game, putting him in the top half-dozen players for that category in the NRL.

With Jarryd Hayne owning the No.1 jersey at Parramatta, Hopoate is seen as an option in the centres or on the wing. Several of the club's three-quarters, including Joel Reddy, Chris Hicks, Paul Whatuira and Chris Walker, are playing for contract extensions.

The Eels have front-loaded the contracts of several players they wish to retain to make room for an assault on the playing market.

Sandow's future is expected to be resolved in coming days. The Eels are confident the Rabbitohs won't be able to match their offer.

The club was partly motivated by a glowing endorsement from Wayne Bennett, who believes the playmaker has the ability and toughness to play Origin football, given the right tutelage. While they also hope to snare Symonds, the Bondi Junction club has made him a priority re-signing.

Meanwhile, Daniel Mortimer believes the rumour mill linking almost any off-contract player with Parramatta is not disrupting the struggling Eels.

Tipped in pre-season to be a force this year after the recruitment of Kearney and hardened veterans such as Carl Webb, the Eels have won only two games and must beat the Gold Coast today to stay in touch with the top teams.

However, the fact player agents know the club's management has money to spend means players are constantly linked with the club.

"I'm not sure how that speculation affects the boys individually, but for me it just means I focus on my footy," Mortimer said. "It's not an issue for me, if I'm playing well [it will] take care of itself.

''It's common knowledge [the Eels have] money to spend, so when a player comes off contract people would see the club as an option."

with Daniel Lane

Last edited:

Casper The Ghost

First Grade
Eels enter race to lure Hopoate from Manly

Adrian Proszenko

April 24, 2011

Hopoate-420x0.jpg

Hunted ... William Hopoate is tackled last weekend. Photo: Getty Images

PARRAMATTA have made an audacious play for Manly sensation William Hopoate as part of a multimillion-dollar raid to revamp their roster under Stephen Kearney.

The Eels have money to spend under the salary cap and hope to lure Chris Sandow to the club to help solve their halves problems.

They have already poached young centre Junior Vaivai from Redfern and Roosters back-rower Tom Symonds is another target.

However, adding young gun Hopoate to an ageing back line is also a priority for Eels officials, who have opened talks with his manager, Tyran Smith.

The Hopoate name is synonymous with Manly after William's father, John, tasted premiership success during a 150-game stint with the Sea Eagles.

However, the former Blues and Kangaroos winger seemed unperturbed by the prospect of his son defecting to Manly's arch-enemy.

''You can't rule anything out,'' John Hopoate said yesterday. ''He's certainly playing well.''

The Eels won't have it all their own way at the negotiating table. Manly are desperate to retain the talented teen and it is rumoured the Bulldogs are prepared to outlay up to $400,000 a season to offset the loss of Jamal Idris to the Gold Coast. St George Illawarra will also be on the hunt for a replacement fullback - Darius Boyd's transfer to Newcastle is expected to be officially announced as soon as this week.

Hopoate has played only nine NRL games but is already establishing himself as one of the game's best young players. The 18-year-old was man of the match in Manly's win against Penrith on Friday night after again deputising for Brett Stewart (hamstring) at fullback.

This season he already has four tries to his credit and runs for an average of 147 metres per game, putting him in the top half-dozen players for that category in the NRL.

With Jarryd Hayne owning the No.1 jersey at Parramatta, Hopoate is seen as an option in the centres or on the wing. Several of the club's three-quarters, including Joel Reddy, Chris Hicks, Paul Whatuira and Chris Walker, are playing for contract extensions.

The Eels have front-loaded the contracts of several players they wish to retain to make room for an assault on the playing market.

Sandow's future is expected to be resolved in coming days. The Eels are confident the Rabbitohs won't be able to match their offer.

The club was partly motivated by a glowing endorsement from Wayne Bennett, who believes the playmaker has the ability and toughness to play Origin football, given the right tutelage. While they also hope to snare Symonds, the Bondi Junction club has made him a priority re-signing.

Meanwhile, Daniel Mortimer believes the rumour mill linking almost any off-contract player with Parramatta is not disrupting the struggling Eels.

Tipped in pre-season to be a force this year after the recruitment of Kearney and hardened veterans such as Carl Webb, the Eels have won only two games and must beat the Gold Coast today to stay in touch with the top teams.

However, the fact player agents know the club's management has money to spend means players are constantly linked with the club.

"I'm not sure how that speculation affects the boys individually, but for me it just means I focus on my footy," Mortimer said. "It's not an issue for me, if I'm playing well [it will] take care of itself.

''It's common knowledge [the Eels have] money to spend, so when a player comes off contract people would see the club as an option."

with Daniel Lane

Link: http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/...o-lure-hopoate-from-manly-20110423-1ds4b.html

caylo

Bench
If we lured Hopoate here I would consider playing him at 5-8, Ive never seen him play so I don't know if it would work but apparently he set up matuia for two tries and I imagine he is a very good runner of the footy. Would be similar to playing Hayne or Boyd at 5-8.

SDM

First Grade
I was worried about how it might effect the team. Lucky they speed-dialed Morts and cleared it up.

hineyrulz

Post Whore
It would be awesome if we could somehow nick one back from Moanly, we can dream i suppose :crazy:

Parra Pride

Referee

Which idiot out there tipped us to be a force? :crazy:

Gronk

Staff member
Hoppa won't play FB if he stays at Manly, goes to Parra or Bulldogs. So the Dragons would be his best bet, but they that the team less likely to afford him based on their roster.

I was impressed with Sutton running to the line last night and popping money balls, or just taking the line on. Hayne would be awsome if he took 6 serioulsy IMO.

Latest posts