What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

IGN's top 100 modern video games

http://au.ign.com/top/modern-games/100

That's the full list.

http://youtu.be/lEfR1rCRvDo

That's the video for #1 and if you don't want to know until you have read the list then stop reading because I'll name it soon.

They did this list by having the best game represent the entire series so you won't see 5 FIFA games and both Mass Effect games etc... in the list which is fair enough but not entirely accurate but still it's okay.

I don't usually pay attention to IGN these days but I think they got it right, beyond the top 10 or 15 it's pretty irrelevant.

I can live with Mass Effect 2 being the #1 modern game. It took me a while to get in to Mass Effect but ME2 was just a whole other story it was f**king brilliant.

I have never played AC2 but I've heard that it was f**king terrible and Fallout 3 I could never get in to and I really hate that game but I can live with it and anyway I haven't played half of the games in the list but GTA4 should have made top 10 but whatever.

The real surprise for me was not only did IGN get the right CoD game (CoD 4) but the appropriately put it at #19. I was seriously expecting MW2 to be second or third so that's the most pleasing thing for me.

One funny comment I saw that I can't find on their youtube video was that Edler Scrolls 4 should have been #1 and was better than Mass Effect 2 because you could "change what the character looked like" lol wtf? You could do that from Mass Effect and have an entirely different Shepherd with male or female, smh

Last edited:

Munky

Coach
I put ME2 back into my XBox today to redo the suicide mission in an attempt to have everyone survive.

It is easily my favourite game of all time and I'm gonna finally pick up the DLC.

I really enjoyed Assassin's Creed 2 and its semi sequal, the original was repetitive however the followups are great.

boxhead

First Grade
I can understand having one game from each series, but honestly, no Metal Gear Solid 4????? That in of itself is a disgrace, Peace Walker or not. Was surprised they rated Arkham Asylum so high, but there is no question it deserves it.

Super Malio Galaxy 2 should have been number 1, that or MGS4 or GTA4, but at the same time I'm perfectly happy with what they picked for the top spot.

Last edited:

Firey_Dragon

Coach
I can understand having one game from each series, but honestly, no Metal Gear Solid 4????? That in of itself is a disgrace, Peace Walker or not. Was surprised they rated Arkham Asylum so high, but there is no question it deserves it.

Super Malio Galaxy 2 should have been number 1, that or MGS4 or GTA4, but at the same time I'm perfectly happy with what they picked for the top spot.

MGS 4 was one of the most boring games I've ever played. It was painful to play it. Controls were poor, storyline was laughably bad and long-winded and the gameplay felt so dated.

It's not even remotely close to being as good as it's predecessors

Last edited:

Eelectrica

Referee
Dragon Age: Origins just one above the joke that was Far Cry 2?
Witcher 2 way down at 75? :lol:

Whoever came up with that list has no clue. Stopped right there.

simmo1

First Grade
Am I the only person who thinks Portal 2 is massively overrated? Its a brilliant puzzle game, and should definitely make the top 50 or so, but no way should it be in the top 5. Countless FPS games get bagged because they have short single player campaigns, but Portal 2 escapes criticism with its 6h single player, which has absolutely zero replayability.

bomberman

Juniors
Just going through the list now, Battlefield Bad Company 2 is at 50, id have that somewhere in my top 10.

boxhead

First Grade
MGS 4 was one of the most boring games I've ever played. It was painful to play it. Controls were poor, storyline was laughably bad and long-winded and the gameplay felt so dated.

It's not even remotely close to being as good as it's predecessors

I know you already know, but everyone else would have it in their top 5 modern games.....it wouldn't surprise me if a lot of people say it is close to the best game of all time. That and Super Mario Galaxy 2 are my top two modern video-games, without peer, not even GTA4 comes close to those two in my opinion. Mass Effect 2 was amazing but, honestly, despite my massive Bioware bias, it can't hold a candle to those two.