What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

North American Challenge Cup?

billy2

Juniors
I've brought this up before, but as I see more clubs and comps being formed everywhere from Canada to Jamacia, to the mid west to Hawaii the more i think a challenge cup should become one of the most important tools to spread League in America.

We all know the Challenge Cup is hugely successful in Europe, with the Challenge Cup final being close to the biggest game of the year, and a comp that would crown the best side in North America each year should become a great tradition.

It could start out pretty small with just the best sides in Canada and Jamacia playing the best two sides in America in a knockout comp at the end of the season - or if interest is higher it could start with every side who could afford to compete from all over the continent.

I think we need to crown a North American Challenge cup champion this year, and I think it should become the most coverted trophy in North American League in future years.

Wellsy4HullFC

Juniors
CRL winner vs USARL winner
JRL winner vs AMNRL winner

Winners in Final.

Sounds a great end of season competition to me. Shame the AMNRL would never allow it because of the naughty rebels that wanted equal rights. Perhaps they could just have a Tri-series featuring USARL, CRL and JRL, and have an open invite for the AMNRL should they drop their pride...

deluded pom?

Coach
I've brought this up before, but as I see more clubs and comps being formed everywhere from Canada to Jamacia, to the mid west to Hawaii the more i think a challenge cup should become one of the most important tools to spread League in America.

We all know the Challenge Cup is hugely successful in Europe, with the Challenge Cup final being close to the biggest game of the year, and a comp that would crown the best side in North America each year should become a great tradition.

It could start out pretty small with just the best sides in Canada and Jamacia playing the best two sides in America in a knockout comp at the end of the season - or if interest is higher it could start with every side who could afford to compete from all over the continent.

I think we need to crown a North American Challenge cup champion this year, and I think it should become the most coverted trophy in North American League in future years.

The Challenge Cup is successful in the UK rather than Europe billy. The sheer size of North America is the stumbling block to this idea at this time of RL's evolution. There is no way you would get more than one or two team's, if you were lucky, commit to the time, cost and travel involved.

That would be cool .. but unfortunately I dont think the AMNRL has ever heard of our competition, well I never heard our name spoken of anyway... hahah

spooky

Juniors
I'm not sure a challenge cup type competition is a good idea. The cost alone would make it prohibitive. An end of season 'North American Champions' competition would be great though. I had actually mentioned something similar to the CRL guys.

billy2

Juniors
I'm not sure a challenge cup type competition is a good idea. The cost alone would make it prohibitive. An end of season 'North American Champions' competition would be great though. I had actually mentioned something similar to the CRL guys.
It doesn't have to be that expensive.

If you could get 32 sides to participate over the US, Canada and Jamacia you could have the first two rounds as 'local derbies' - so each team plays their nearest neighbour for round one - down to 16 sides - and next nearest for round two - down to 8 sides with no massive travel costs.
That leaves quarter finals, semi finals and the final game - or 7 games - where sides may have to travel, and the worst case for any single club would be that they would have to travel 3 times if they were unlucky enough to be the away side for all three finals games.

Bronco Rob

Juniors
I'd rather than see the money used for a much better purpose, like being used for development of the game to a point where a tournament like this can happen in the future. I love the enthusiasm of some RL fans but if we're serious of developing the game internationally it really has to be from the ground up. Comps like this could be fantastic for the short term but it is long term we should be focusing on, baby steps.

Bronco Rob

Juniors
That would be cool .. but unfortunately I dont think the AMNRL has ever heard of our competition, well I never heard our name spoken of anyway... hahah

It must be frustrating for you guys in "that other league", because it is very frustrating for us, quite clearly RL fans from around the world can see what is going on but clearly the RLIF cannot or they just choose to ignore it. The day we have a strong and independent international body is the day Rugby League can start to be serious about growing as a sport.

gyallop

Juniors
I too am looking from afar and I understand the emotional base of some comments (and the desire to to play for the USA) but I cant reconcile them .The AMNRL is the recognized governing body of RL in the USA by the RLIF. If clubs had a different agenda to their governing body and seceded that was their choice but they cant now expect the governing body or the RLIF to recognise them or give them rights. For each action there is a consequence and if you take action you have to understand and accept the consequence.
It is illogical for the rebels to blame the AMNRL for not picking their players.....they knew the consequence when they took action. if they dont like the consequences of their action they need to make peace or start their own international league away from the RLIF and get other nations to join their group ....bit like the 1,000 boxing federations!! Dont take me the wrong way I think the groups need to make peace for the good of the game but vilifying the AMNRL as some do what does that achieve ??? ....

Evil Homer

Staff member
It is illogical for the rebels to blame the AMNRL for not picking their players.....they knew the consequence when they took action. if they dont like the consequences of their action they need to make peace or start their own international league away from the RLIF and get other nations to join their group ....bit like the 1,000 boxing federations!! Dont take me the wrong way I think the groups need to make peace for the good of the game but vilifying the AMNRL as some do what does that achieve ??? ....
Because the AMNRL are in the wrong, they are the ones acting for their own sake and not putting the best interests of the game at heart - indeed, they are actively and purposely damaging the game for their own benefit. The issue is that the AMNRL is not and has never been run democratically. If there had been some sort of democratic process and the AMNRL had come out on top, then your points would be valid. The fact is though that the AMNRL repeatedly ignored requests for democracy, and refused to change their stance despite the fact that the majority clearly did not want them in charge. There was no option other than for the clubs to break away. As far as I am concerned, it is the AMNRL who are the rogue organization, not the USARL. The AMNRL is a dictatoral, corrupt organization whose only claim to power is that they were the incumbents, and who continue to abuse that power for their own benefit. That's why the RLIF needs to step in - in any other sport with a competent international federation, the USA as a whole would have been suspended from international competition on the day of the split and the whole issue would have been resolved within a few months, with the result almost certainly being that the AMNRL would have been removed and the USARL recognized as the official governing body. As it is, I can't see the AMNRL changing their position, and so presumably this will carry on until either someone decides to take action or until David Niu retires. That doesn't mean we should sweep under the rug the issues at hand though and pretend things are ok, as certain posters on this forum seem to want to do.

I too am looking from afar and I understand the emotional base of some comments (and the desire to to play for the USA) but I cant reconcile them .The AMNRL is the recognized governing body of RL in the USA by the RLIF. If clubs had a different agenda to their governing body and seceded that was their choice but they cant now expect the governing body or the RLIF to recognise them or give them rights. For each action there is a consequence and if you take action you have to understand and accept the consequence.

Buddy - The AMNRL are not Recognized by the RLEF which is the body in charge of the Northern Hemisphere. The Fact the AMNRL are recognized by the RLIF but not the RLEF is quite interesting isnt it?? Meaning the AMNRL is not a real governing body as its more like a governing ego?

It must be frustrating for you guys in "that other league", because it is very frustrating for us, quite clearly RL fans from around the world can see what is going on but clearly the RLIF cannot or they just choose to ignore it. The day we have a strong and independent international body is the day Rugby League can start to be serious about growing as a sport.

To be honest I have about 30 serious players and another 20 social players. About 4 of them even know about the AMNRL. Not because i havent explained it but because they could give a (fill in the blank). They love the sport, they love the USA Rugby League and they Love the RIR.

Bronco Rob

Juniors

To be fair gyallop, I haven't seen any comment from the USARL to that effect. The comments by most forumers in relation to the deficiencies of the AMNRL are by forumers who are very much impartial to the whole situation and have based their criticism on their observations since not only after the split but over the last few years of AMNRL's operations.

Oh and Lastly .. We never broke away from anything. The USARL presented us with an opportunity. So were new guys to any League. Just so happened the USARL gave us the opportunity to make our own success or failures. I mean most of my players are 1hr from boston with no traffic and 2 from new haven with no traffic. Hmm

gyallop

Juniors
Interesting points guys and it does seem the disquite comes from those looking in and not working in US RL which always begs the question on the validity of opinions . Everyone is entitled to one and believe what they want and debate is healthy if it is constructive . I understand that Rhode Island team ( great name) chose to join the USARL and arent rebels but my point remains you made an informed choice.
The RLEF isnt the governing body of RL , the RLIF is and the RLEF is a sub entity running a region of which the USA isnt part of. The RLIF is compromised of the GMs of the NRL NZRL and the ERL and some others so I dont see how you can get a more competent or powerful group but it does explain why the game away from Aus. UK and NZ is treated as an amusing sideline!!! Just on EH's comment on democracy......which modern sport is governed by a democratic body , the AFL here isnt and runs well and the NRL has just changed to the same model? I cant comment on the AMNRL and will leave that aside as that is obviously an emotional issue but what is a commission the way to go? How is it done in UK sport?

deluded pom?

Coach
Interesting points guys and it does seem the disquite comes from those looking in and not working in US RL which always begs the question on the validity of opinions . Everyone is entitled to one and believe what they want and debate is healthy if it is constructive . I understand that Rhode Island team ( great name) chose to join the USARL and arent rebels but my point remains you made an informed choice.
The RLEF isnt the governing body of RL , the RLIF is and the RLEF is a sub entity running a region of which the USA isnt part of. The RLIF is compromised of the GMs of the NRL NZRL and the ERL and some others so I dont see how you can get a more competent or powerful group but it does explain why the game away from Aus. UK and NZ is treated as an amusing sideline!!! Just on EH's comment on democracy......which modern sport is governed by a democratic body , the AFL here isnt and runs well and the NRL has just changed to the same model? I cant comment on the AMNRL and will leave that aside as that is obviously an emotional issue but what is a commission the way to go? How is it done in UK sport?

I stopped reading when I reached the highlighted bit.

gyallop

Juniors
actually I think I had that wrong David Gallop was appointed by News and the ARL (a democratic body) , Scott Carter is the elected Chairman of NZRL a democratic body and Richard Lewis is the elected Chairman of the ERL..so in your opinion the 3 most powerful figures in the game ( and the therefore the bodies they take instruction from) are incompetent???

deluded pom?

Coach
actually I think I had that wrong David Gallop was appointed by News and the ARL (a democratic body) , Scott Carter is the elected Chairman of NZRL a democratic body and Richard Lewis is the elected Chairman of the ERL..so in your opinion the 3 most powerful figures in the game ( and the therefore the bodies they take instruction from) are incompetent???

They have proved it time and time again as the RLIF.

gyallop

Juniors
so democracy doesnt create good governance. Is appointed commission the answer or is there a better model??
Personally I think you are a bit harsh on the 3 leagues , they are all doing ok in their own patch, my point was that they only do things to suit the ANZACS and Brits and do nothing for the world game unless is suits them so I agree to that extent they acting incompetently.

Evil Homer

Staff member
Just on EH's comment on democracy......which modern sport is governed by a democratic body , the AFL here isnt and runs well and the NRL has just changed to the same model?
Virtually every sport worldwide. The NRL IC is democratic - not neccessarily through elections, but the people involved have been appointed, they aren't just there because they were there from the start and refuse to relinquish power. The AMNRL management weren't appointed by anyone, they appointed themselves, like I said they are a dictatoral organization and do not allow the opportunity for anyone to challenge their authority, and are actively willing to harm the sport in order to maintain that authority.

As for the RLIF, as far as I know they don't have any sort of membership criteria, no official list of 'recognized' nations and the whole thing is just a complete half-hearted joke, so I'm not sure why you felt the need to bring them up with regards to the situation in the USA. If they do officially recognize the AMNRL, I'm pretty sure it's because they were there originally and the RLIF either are unaware of the split or just can't be bothered to intervene. The RLIF is the single biggest embarrassment in international sport.