What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Nutrition Thread

I read a book called It starts with food , essentially it lays out what different foods can do to your body , how they react within your body.

Essentially its eating Paleo.

I finished reading it 45 days ago and implemented its principles straight away.

No junk food , no sugar , no processed food for the last 45 days.

I have lost 15kg to date , 9cm off the waist and 9cm off the chest.

After the 1st 2 weeks of intial cravings I have found it easy to follow

papabear

Juniors
The term processed food is misunderstood.

Flour is processed, chilli flakes processed, the crushed garlic in a jar (big time saver) processed.

You cook something, then its been processed.

Dried bananas have gone through some processes for shits sake.

The eating food straight from the tree is good for those with to much money and time, but for regular people. It is not.

Pete Cash

Post Whore
I read a book called It starts with food , essentially it lays out what different foods can do to your body , how they react within your body.

Essentially its eating Paleo.

I finished reading it 45 days ago and implemented its principles straight away.

No junk food , no sugar , no processed food for the last 45 days.

I have lost 15kg to date , 9cm off the waist and 9cm off the chest.

After the 1st 2 weeks of intial cravings I have found it easy to follow

Its not a bad way to eat but a lot of what they spin is bullsit. The idea that a person cannot eat f**king snow peas raw is laughable.

Joker's Wild

Coach
The big deficit in the Paleo system is dairy

Back in the day missing out on calcium was ok because the life expectancy was low but in todays world where we generally live well into our 70s and beyond osteoporosis is a real concern

Thomas

First Grade
I had a blood test a few weeks ago. Slightly high cholesterol but nothing that can't be addressed through more exercise and some diet changes. What concerned the doctor and therefore me was my iron count. It was through the roof, almost 3 times the upper limit. I have to have a ferritin test in a couple of weeks and then possibly a gene test for haemochromatosis.

Do any of you guys have or know of this? I've heard it results in lethargy which would explain a few things with me. I thought it was just having 2 young kids. Treatment appears to be solely blood-letting every month or so to induce mild anaemia.

Anyway, I need to cut red meat nearly completely out of my diet. Fuuuuuuuuuu.

Joker's Wild

Coach
Anyway, I need to cut red meat nearly completely out of my diet. Fuuuuuuuuuu.

suicide-booth.jpg

Thomas

First Grade
Yeah, pretty much.

Apparently a lot of beans and such are also out.

I shall enjoy eating nothing much tonight. And no booze.

Im still kicking on my Paleo lifestyle , heading towards 100 days and I have lost 25kgs to date. Im sitting at a 87kg.

Im within 10-15kg of desired weight , I want to ( need to ) decrease my BF% and build some lean muscle.

Cliffhanger

Coach
As I've said before, I was super skeptical of Paleo until I tried it and spoke to others who are on it. I you want to do it, make sure you do believe in it and like eating like that.

Collateral

Coach
Ive looked at the Paleo diet a few times but have never committed to it.

IMO the best diet is a mix of diets and foods that suit your body, lifestyle and goals.

I have no interest in trying to make myself look like a model body as it isn't essentially healthy or practical.
My main goals are Lifetime health and disease prevention mixed with eating foods that will keen my body naturally lean.

I do Brazilian Jiu Jitsu 2-4 times a week and will be competing in 2013 and upping my gym time to 3-5 times a week. So my diet needs to accomodate that too.

Im reading up and implementing aspects of a High Testosterone diet too. We'll see how that goes.

Snoochies

First Grade
I found this website and it really breaks it down on how your diet should work according to the results you are after. It blows away the myths and is a real common sense approach.

I have worked out everything I need for my goal and am looking forward to next Monday when I implement it.

http://www.acaloriecounter.com/diet/

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
I found this website and it really breaks it down on how your diet should work according to the results you are after. It blows away the myths and is a real common sense approach.

I have worked out everything I need for my goal and am looking forward to next Monday when I implement it.

http://www.acaloriecounter.com/diet/

Thats an excellent website, good find. All pretty much standard nutritional stuff but broken down very well and I doubt you'd find anything on there that any serious nutritionist or sports scientist would disagree with.

adamkungl

Immortal
Sounds interesting, taking a look.

Diet went a bit off the rails in December, time for a fresh start.

miccle

Bench
Started on Rapid Loss meal replacement shakes (two per day) around two months ago. Had the shakes for breakfast and dinner, piece of fruit for morning & afternoon tea and usually some grilled fish or chicken with vegetables for lunch.

Coupled it with 6-7 sessions per week in the gym (minimum 45 minutes cardio each time, 2-3 short weights sessions per week on top of that).

Has anyone else done something similar to start their regime? I found I put on a heap of weight travelling & being the typical office worker, but have lost 12kg in about 10 weeks and feeling great. Will have to move back to one shake per day soon enough though...

Cliffhanger

Coach
I think you should lift more and do less cardio, yeah you will lose fat faster with more cardio but for long term benefits and actually being stronger you want to lift more.

I would also eat properly, if you're training enough you don't need meal replacement stuff to get in shape.

Snoochies

First Grade
Thats an excellent website, good find. All pretty much standard nutritional stuff but broken down very well and I doubt you'd find anything on there that any serious nutritionist or sports scientist would disagree with.

Yeah it's a bit of a read but it's great how everything is broken down into a very common sense approach.

adamkungl

Immortal
I've been reading that website for like half the day. Knew most of it already, but has some good tips and info that i'm finding useful. great site