What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ben Barba

mickeylane

Bench
Alcohol and gambling issues!!
I'm afraid his absence could single handedly bring the Bulldogs back to the field!! Massive loss for them
Btw: the NRL campaign will have to be quickly edited as Ben features quite heavily in it.

Minh

First Grade
Massive blow to the Dogs, they won't win the premiership without him.

Mr Red

First Grade
Looks like he will be stood down for 6-8 weeks at this stage. Thurston has been called in to be the new "face of the NRL" campaign.

Minh

First Grade
These guys better get their sh#t together, they dont have long in the game and should make the most of it especially these elite players, they can set up for life if they are responsible. It's sad when I see some ex footballers doing it tough because they punt away everything.

saints4ever

First Grade
These guys better get their sh#t together, they dont have long in the game and should make the most of it especially these elite players, they can set up for life if they are responsible. It's sad when I see some ex footballers doing it tough because they punt away everything.

Dont feel one bit sorry for them tbh. I dont feel any sympathy for the average joe that goes in and spends his entire wage in a matter of hours, so why would I with these over paid prima donas?

Some of them get six times the average wage, whinge and bitch that they are expected to play too much footy, dont get enough money from rep games (a game most fans would play for free) get gifts and perks wherever they go and then say they dont want to and never asked to be role models for kids?

They smile and act pretty in front of the camera when it comes time to say "sorry, I f**ked up again...disappointed this club...the fans...my family...etc etc" but they still get their hundreds of thousands a year regardless.

f**k id love to see how they would react and behave living their lives on 35k a year with a mortgage and kids. Might teach them to grow up

Breathingfire

Juniors
Dont feel one bit sorry for them tbh. I dont feel any sympathy for the average joe that goes in and spends his entire wage in a matter of hours, so why would I with these over paid prima donas?

Some of them get six times the average wage, whinge and bitch that they are expected to play too much footy, dont get enough money from rep games (a game most fans would play for free) get gifts and perks wherever they go and then say they dont want to and never asked to be role models for kids?

They smile and act pretty in front of the camera when it comes time to say "sorry, I f**ked up again...disappointed this club...the fans...my family...etc etc" but they still get their hundreds of thousands a year regardless.

f**k id love to see how they would react and behave living their lives on 35k a year with a mortgage and kids. Might teach them to grow up

I totally agree. Some people on the forum will think you are being harsh but lets face it...Doctors save lives, work harder and get payed less. Yes, that is capitalism, but its no excuse for these guys acting like total f**kwits.

itsme

Juniors
I dont think he is looking for sympathy and i doubt he is expecting anyone to feel sorry for him. He is admitting he has a problem and is trying to deal with it. I have to respect the guy for at least admitting his faults.

What they get paid is irrelevant and to compare them to Dr's and to say they get paid more is silly. A footballer on $500k a year can get an injury that restricts his footballing life to one season, and at best they play for a dozen years....they need to make their money in this timeframe. A Dr on the other hand can work for 30+ years.

Give the guy a break, he is trying to help himself which is more that can be said for most of the other players that have simular issues.

His older brother Aaron signed and played with the panthers in the 90's and was as talented as Ben is, but struggled with the sydney lifestyle and "issues" it presented him. the first person Ben should probably console is his brother.

I wish him well and i hope he comes out the other end. I enjoy watching the guy play and we dont see many players like him very often.

Fire

First Grade
Haha Benny is a soft c**k.

Read Jack Gibson's book, when he was coaching the Dragons what Barba is doing was standard operating procedure for Billy Smith and a few of his mates.

lol I dunno, the yoof these days...

TheRev

First Grade
He will be back in 1-2 months, pretty easy to throw money at the problem.

Bit surprised that he would be such a dog though (pardon the pun), he looks like such a nice guy on telly.

Fire

First Grade
He will be back in 1-2 months, pretty easy to throw money at the problem.

Bit surprised that he would be such a dog though (pardon the pun), he looks like such a nice guy on telly.

TheRev, is what Wally Lewis said yesterday true? I thought he was just drinking and gambling?

Breathingfire

Juniors
I dont think he is looking for sympathy and i doubt he is expecting anyone to feel sorry for him. He is admitting he has a problem and is trying to deal with it. I have to respect the guy for at least admitting his faults.

What they get paid is irrelevant and to compare them to Dr's and to say they get paid more is silly. A footballer on $500k a year can get an injury that restricts his footballing life to one season, and at best they play for a dozen years....they need to make their money in this timeframe. A Dr on the other hand can work for 30+ years.

Give the guy a break, he is trying to help himself which is more that can be said for most of the other players that have simular issues.

His older brother Aaron signed and played with the panthers in the 90's and was as talented as Ben is, but struggled with the sydney lifestyle and "issues" it presented him. the first person Ben should probably console is his brother.

I wish him well and i hope he comes out the other end. I enjoy watching the guy play and we dont see many players like him very often.

Hi Ben's brother. Say hi to Ben for us. :lol:

Breathingfire

Juniors

I hate this argument and I was expecting it to come up.

The doctor gets paid for 30+ years because he has worked 30+ years in the job. This is not a privilege, just a job that demands pay for the time spent working.

A footballer is not underprivileged because they can only play for 10-15 years. It's 10-15 years more than you or I will ever have in order to earn millions of $$$. Poor diddums have to join the real world when there career finishes? Big deal :roll:

As for the injury...you can be shot dead in the army but people still sign up. Its a personal choice and if a player gets a career ending injury after a couple of seasons then so be it. The player still earned good money for two years before joining the real world.

No sympathy whatsoever for a Rugby League player. It is a choice to play the game and cop the public scrutiny, the short career length and the risk of injury.
Can't handle the fame= don't play. Worried about getting injured= don't play. Want to take drugs= Don't play. Want to urinate on a wall in public= Don't play. Want to earn good money for more than 10 years= study to be a doctor.